Olin calls workers' bluff: Ammo plant to Mississippi

source: (full article) http://www.stltoday.com/business/article_ebcde769-54bc-5031-b4d5-e19fda6d770b.html

The Olin Corp. said Wednesday that it will put its money where its mouth is — in Mississippi.

A day after union workers rejected for a second time a contract that might have saved their jobs, the Metro East company told them it was moving about 1,000 ammunition production jobs from Metro East to Oxford, Miss.

---

I might say if you don't reload, get an extra box or two before the $ goes up, again!

It's all too often that Unions think they have a company by the Nads , vote down contracts and lose jobs . I spent 35 years working for a manufacturing company . I was in the union for almost 6 years and all the shop chairmen seemed to do was be busy taking care of the slackers . I had quit the union and got into management . There are hardly any manufacturing jobs in the company anymore . The company downsized and outsourced jobs . Over 12 years ago , guys that were driving Fork Lifts were making over $18 an hour . You couldn't move employees across lines so they sat on their butts doing nothing and had to make up production losses with OT . Companies cannot compete running a business that way .

Printing outfit a bud worked at did this.. When the union forced a vote & got in, they closed that department & moved operations to NJ!! They brought them back to NY a few years ago, but it was enough to can any union votes in the other printing divisions.. I'm union and think in some circumstances they're needed, but in others, can really make life difficult..