"crossbow" broadheads from a bow

moog5050

I bought some nap 3 blade mechanicals 1.5 diameter cut on amazon to use with my bow.   When they arrived, they say crossbow 400fps (not advertised that way but I will admit to not doing any research).  I just wanted some 125g. 3 blade mechanicals that don't use a collar.  The bow is rated at 340 but you know how that goes.   I still plan to give them a run.  No collars as the design forces the blades back and open on contact.  They will open and I have to believe my bow will drive them through just fine.  Anyone use a crossbow broadhead with a bow.   Logic tells me it will be just fine and I will put a big hole in deer.

7 minutes ago, nyslowhand said:

Xbow mechanical BHs are made stiffer to not allow them to deploy with initial 180/200# release force. JMO, use them on my xbow and never had one malfunction upon impact. Assuming the blades are simply a snugger fit when retracted.

That makes sense and frankly confirms on this design why I have little concern.  The blades have no choice but to open on contact. 

Yes, as said, I think that is the theory about the difference between xbow vs compound mechanicals.  But I have had both versions of the 3 blade NAP side by side and really could not tell the difference in how easy the blades opened.  Not saying that there is not a difference, but I could not tell.

From what I understand on the NAP crossbow heads is the retention clips that hold the blades closed are a tighter fit vs a compound bow head . So it will most likely take a bit more energy to open . I shot the old school American made spitfires for many years and loved them. I guess  the new  heads are made over seas and not as good now ( not bashing just passing it along ) . 

Edited by rob-c

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I bought some nap 3 blade mechanicals 1.5 diameter cut on amazon to use with my bow.   When they arrived, they say crossbow 400fps (not advertised that way but I will admit to not doing any research).  I just wanted some 125g. 3 blade mechanicals that don't use a collar.  The bow is rated at 340 but you know how that goes.   I still plan to give them a run.  No collars as the design forces the blades back and open on contact.  They will open and I have to believe my bow will drive them through just fine.  Anyone use a crossbow broadhead with a bow.   Logic tells me it will be just fine and I will put a big hole in deer.

The broadhead does not know if it is attached to a bolt or arrow and if it is loosed from a bow (stick, recurve, compound) or x-bow.  I suspect the text is trying to convey they will function, as advertised,  up to 400 fps (which is x-bow territory).

4 hours ago, moog5050 said:

That makes sense and frankly confirms on this design why I have little concern.  The blades have no choice but to open on contact. 

There was a big debate on some grim reaper mechanicals design that didnt open because of tight springs . This was on archery talk. So much so that GReaper ended up sending new spring and cups to anyone who called them.

My suggestion would be shoot one in a foam target to make sure it opens for you.

I have best thing is to open the blades one or two times to decreast the stifness of opening at speed. Once that was done they performed as intended. Before they did not at an old Makenzie  target going thru and not  opening as it came out other side. Bow was shooting 300fps. Target was 20 yards. 

• Like 1