Filming the hunt

crappyice

My hunting partner mentioned potentially filming some of our hunts this year. As opposed to us sitting two spots, we would hunt the same area but one with a camera as the other looks to harvest.

Any recommendations for some entry level filming equipment? Any "must haves" that would make this worth it? Anything to avoid-GoPros type equipment mounted to bow seem to be on that list.

Just looking for something new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The new phones with optical zooms can record 4k hdr..no need for camcorder unless you plan to go professional

The "new phones" probably cost more than a decent camcorder no? Or am I way out my league with this?

What's wrong with something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Camcorder-Microphone-VAFOTON-Vlogging-Stabilizer/dp/B08KD4YR9Y/ref=asc_df_B08KD4YR9Y/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=475811286124&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13613551580422319188&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004220&hvtargid=pla-1018581605656&psc=1

1 minute ago, crappyice said:

The "new phones" probably cost more than a decent camcorder no? Or am I way out my league with this?

Most usually have a phone already, if you are still holding on to an older phone than sure. A decent camcorder can be bought for a $$$$ or $$$

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/g40166657/best-camcorders/

• Like 1

I've got a Sony camcorder.  Thing fits in the palm of my hand and has a zoom that is just incredible.  Has image stabilization too.  I've had it for probably 7 yrs, and filmed several hunts including my cousin Maine moose hunt a few years back.  Don't recall the model, and I'm I'm Maine for a wedding, so I can't check. Think it was under $500. 

• Like 1

Would this work for you? Kodak makes a bunch of entry level cameras that take video in 730 or 1080
7D26541C-C00B-45D6-8042-D48C22B33F8B.thumb.png.6c4ad07b5cd0d74a4424b24faeb0731d.png

I like the idea of really catching the sound too and not sure that would do it as well as a dedicated camcorder would. What's better than the crunch of the leaves when walking in and the THWACK of a broadhead making meat!

2 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I like the idea of really catching the sound too and not sure that would do it as well as a dedicated camcorder would. What's better than the crunch of the leaves when walking in and the THWACK of a broadhead making meat!

I do think that you can get a microphone to plug into it that mounts to the camera.  My guess is it does have sounds just don’t know what the quality would be. 

An iPhone would catch that sound

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Please add music. I believe @The_Real_TCIII loves music added to his hunting videos.

I would think these days you should be able to get a pretty decent handheld cam without breaking the bank. A friend of mine used to film some of his hunts. Keeping it steady was the hardest part. He got an arm to connect the camera to so you didn't get nauseous watching the videos and he could self film.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

17 hours ago, crappyice said:

My hunting partner mentioned potentially filming some of our hunts this year. As opposed to us sitting two spots, we would hunt the same area but one with a camera as the other looks to harvest.

Any recommendations for some entry level filming equipment? Any "must haves" that would make this worth it? Anything to avoid-GoPros type equipment mounted to bow seem to be on that list.

Just looking for something new!

Depends on your budget and the quality of video you want. The go pro works cool as a second stationary angle. but as for recording the shot opportunities, A 4k Handycam is very entry level. I bought the HD Handycam by Sony right before 4k came out. I used it a few times, Then didn't get to hunt much and when i did i left it home. I do plan on getting it out this year. A good HD or 4k handycam will suit you well. until you figure out if you enjoy filming or not. I also suggest a camera arm like lone wolf custom gear or fourth arrow is probably a better investment than sinking a ton of money into camera gear. Get a nice entry level cam and a solid camera arm for the tree and give it a whirl. We used to video a lot of hunts before i had kids. They have put a damper on a lot of my hunting opportunities lol  

there's an episode at the beginning of the 2020 season on the hunting public where they go through all the equipment they use. I search around august/september of 2020 to see if you can find it. Basically they have a real nice cam, a few budget ones and a gopro. iirc the real nice one is only used post hunt to film hero shots. 

Edited by Belo

I bought a gopro hero 10 and I'll likely mess around with that a few times in the stand this year. Half-hearted. I have it, bought it for our vacation in the USVI this summer and it'll sit in a box for a long time if I don't use it hunting. Definitely not great for typical zoomed in hunting shots but better than nothing. A few of our spots are close in action 10-20 yards. It'll still seem far away. When swimming within a few feet of turtles on our trip, it still seemed far away. I used a pogo to get it within a foot or two and it made some good videos/photos.

D75A30BD-1480-4585-A866-21C3A8748363.jpeg

Edited by phade

about 10 or so years ago I had an original gopro. I know they've come a long way but the when strapped to my head every deer looked tiny. For reference these targets are at 20 yards. Seems hunters today mount them to a stick and use them to film the hunter who is shooting and then have another better cam mounted to a tripod that they use to film the deer and shot.

Edited by Belo

10 minutes ago, Belo said:

about 10 or so years ago I had an original gopro. I know they've come a long way but the when strapped to my head every deer looked tiny. For reference these targets are at 20 yards. Seems hunters today mount them to a stick and use them to film the hunter who is shooting and then have another better cam mounted to a tripod that they use to film the deer and shot.

They're certainly better to just show a different angle either way you use it, and not a main recording device. Definitely not for re watching shot placement or counting points, or even distinguishing bucks vs doe lol. The new ones have come along way but still not what some people think they should be..