Urban legend deer situation. What would you do?

Al Bundy

I would shoot the deer. Wouldn't even think to call dec on that matter....if I wounded the animal, saw it suffer and know it will be a few hours of suffering, I would not hesitate to shoot the deer. It's a HUGE difference from night hunting/poaching/law breaking. Just my opinion but I would rather take the chance of getting in trouble than have the deer suffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW. This great. Ethical hunters coming out of the woodwork! While reading the other thread I was amazed at how many people wouldn't dispatch an animal after dark when it is suffering. Walk out of the woods and call DEC or the poilce blah, blah, blah. Ethics first. Just shoot the poor thing and get it in freezer!

• Like 3

Yea no chit,threads like this drive me nuts because all it does is get people fighting saying this guy is wrong and this one is right.The deer if I can get close to it after dark is a dead one even if it needs another shot.If someone is as big a touch hole to get to the deer,look at it suffering ,then leave to call the DEC then that person needs a touch of reality.Do the right thing and kill the deer.Thats what you were in the woods to do in the first place!!As far as the last question I know what I would do and I am not saying.

• Like 1

I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would let a deer lay and rot on the other side of a posted sign, whether it's 5 feet or 100 feet on the other side......

I wouldn't trespass for it, unless I could see it from my side of the line.

I was an law-abiding upstanding citizen until I joined this site. Thanks guys.

Edited by BackWoods Hunter

The laws of humanity would supersede any written laws and have me take the shot and put the deer out of its misery.  It's the right thing to do.  My answer is in response to the original question.

However I wouldn't trespass to do it without my neighbors permission, if anyone is wondering. 

usually have an Axe in my car or a mini machete on my person. deer search guy I met once had a knife he could use as a spear.

I liked the spear knife thing and will prolly get one myself. but a knife to the heart I would think would be best

a wounded deer can be a dangerous animal, not too sure I'd attempt to stab it in the heart with a knife...........

Call the NY State Police and ask if they will dispatch the deer or call Deer Search Inc. It is legal for them to do it. After hunting hours.

to be honest that is where the urban legend falls...really how many of you have heard the stories of cops walking up to dispatch a deer and miss the shot?

• Like 1

a wounded deer can be a dangerous animal, not too sure I'd attempt to stab it in the heart with a knife...........

it was a knife that you attached to the end of a rod or something to make a long spear. but I have NEVER been in a situation like that and if I was of course I would use my best judgement

Call the NY State Police and ask if they will dispatch the deer or call Deer Search Inc. It is legal for them to do it. After hunting hours.

calling the local PD or DEC, may work if it's a deer on the side of the road..........I doubt you would get either of them to tag along 1/2 a mile into the woods with you to finish off a crippled deer, maybe you could get lucky with DEC, but it's not really in the job description of the local police dept's.

• Like 1

but yet, guys have no problem shooting a deer just before sundown, and after they realize it was a bad hit, leave it over night to succumb to it's wound, I'm sure there is quite a bit of suffering when you die from a gut shot..............

Thanks for beating me to it.