staying warm

chrispunx

sorry if this is the wrong area.

was just wondering how you guys stay warm in the cold temperatures. at the moment i'm using a set of hunting boots(brand escapes me), wool socks, long johns, mossy oak breakup pants(insulated with fleece), matching jacket, mossy oak gloves and shirt. i was thinking of grabbing some under armour for the base layer to replace the long johns and as an additional layer for the upper body. anyone got opinions on this?

I don't know what that is but under armor I think it's great. Two layers. The tight layer and then the sweat shirt and pants layer.

I use the same and I keep fairly warm unless its single digits,then I break out the Cabelas stand hunter coveralls.My feet are the problem but I also have the batter powered heated socks from Cabelas and that helps a bunch

Wool pants a must, layers and insulated 1000 gram boots loose fit with a good wool sock and polypropylene under sock. One other thing I found makes a huge difference, especially with wind... put your rain gear on over everything. If you are sitting on stand or in a tree stand the rain gear encapsulates you and is a windbreak. If you plan to do a lot of walking NO. Oh and 1 other thing, a muff with a heat pack and just wool army gloves is all I wear for the hands.

Edited by nybuckboy

Here's my personal hygiene confession- my feet sweet regardless of the temp and then when on stand, my feet freeze. I have started changing my socks once i climb my tree (can be challenging in a climber) - seems to help but i still lose my feet before anything else is bothered. of course I double bag the stanky socks!

I've found Muck Boots to be great for keeping warm toes.  This year I got a pair of the "Arctic Sport" and they have done me well.  Another option for cold toes is to use hand warmers in your boots.  Tape can hold it in place, or use two pairs of socks and put the warmer between the layers.  (not great for walking as they tend to slide)

Also, a good ski mask helps to keep the neck warm.

I've found Muck Boots to be great for keeping warm toes.  This year I got a pair of the "Arctic Sport" and they have done me well.  Another option for cold toes is to use hand warmers in your boots.  Tape can hold it in place, or use two pairs of socks and put the warmer between the layers.  (not great for walking as they tend to slide)

Also, a good ski mask helps to keep the neck warm.

They make foot warmers they are self adhesive to the bottom of your sock?????Then another pair of socks  and you are good to go..

Edited by Bowshotmuzzleloader

I have the insoles that have slots to put a hand warmer in each one . They don't work that well .That along with merino wool socks and an outer layer . Better than nothing .

It was cold today and the only way to warm up was to walk . The wind made the cold quite bitter . When I hunt alone I take a sleeping bag and put it over my shoulders and that works quite well in a Blind .

Here's my personal hygiene confession- my feet sweet regardless of the temp and then when on stand, my feet freeze. I have started changing my socks once i climb my tree (can be challenging in a climber) - seems to help but i still lose my feet before anything else is bothered. of course I double bag the stanky socks!

you using regulat cotton socks? if so, that might be the prob. when i hunt i use wool socks. helps wick the sweat, so my feet don't get as cold. if thats not it, maybe you have poor circulation?

Some people are just never warm , i have always battled with cold feet , however i stood outside today for about 3 hours with no gloves on and my hands never got cold. My dad can stand all day in non insulated rubber boots and be fine but his hands are always cold .

If it's real cold I break out the elmer fudd red and black plaid wool pants and jacket. The jacket is bulky and heavy so if I have a long walk I will roll it up and tie it to my pack on my walk in to avoid sweating. I also use under Armour base layers. I'm sure wool ones are better but I like that the under Armour fits tight so I feel less bulk when wearing heavy outer layers. I wear thin gloves and just stick a handwarmer in each pocket. I've found that with heavy gloves my hands sweat to much and once the gloves become wet it's hard to dry them real well and they stay wet which leads to cold hands. My feet sweat a lot as well so I usually don't ever wear insulated boots. Just a heavy sock in my uninsulated under Armour rubber boots. Wearing all that I'm nice and toasty. Was thinking about getting one of those heater body suis for next year so I could wear less heavy stuff

The material you wear does not keep you warm. The air layers you trap do that. The material just keeps the warm air in and the cold air out. You also need to have material that permits moisture to escape or you will sweat, get wet and be very cold.. Pack a spare set of underwear base layer garments. If you ain't got it with you, you can't put it on. You get wet you're dead.

A lot of good info in this thread.

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/20309-wind-survival-deer-and-humans/

I tend to just wear carthart over-alls then some thermals and sweats under it all. Ussaully keeps me warm. I was Intrested in one of those heater body suits but they run about 400 dollars.

The HBS is actually cheaper than buying new cold weather Camo's. My sons Dream Season Polar Fleece Suit cost about $500!

I guess I'll be the first to say I don't own any of the cold weather hunting apparel. Working construction throughout the winters has taught me how to effectively layer without over dressing to the point that bulkyness becomes a safety issue. It's all street clothes for me with a thin layer off camo or orange over the top but that's about it.

I'm sure all these specialized garments work like a charm, but I could never shell out that sort of cash on something I'd likely destroy in a 40 hour work week.

I still get cold on stand some days but that's usually my own poor planning before I walk out the door that leads to that.

When it gets arctic frigid, I don't want to be out there hunting deer anyways. No sence being miserable doing something I enjoy. If I don't have enough t-shirts, socks, sweats, and hoodies in my dresser to stay comfortable, I'll just stay home!

• Like 2