Jump to content

9/30/22- First Hunters Arrive At Stewart.


blackbeltbill
 Share

Recommended Posts

  Just took a nice Bike Ride at Stewart State Forest. Took the picture below at 11.15am. Looks like 2 Pheasant  Hunters have arrived early for tomorrows opening day/ October 1st.

  They have a Longgg Day and Night ahead of them. DEC still has the Gate Locked up right now.

  Hopefully- what is left of Hurricane  Ian will move further East out to Sea as Orange County is supposed  to get some rain tonight.

   I will be out somewhere  tomorrow  morning  also looking for Pheasants and the Wily/ Woodcock.

20220930_111402.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  Just took a nice Bike Ride at Stewart State Forest. Took the picture below at 11.15am. Looks like 2 Pheasant  Hunters have arrived early for tomorrows opening day/ October 1st.
  They have a Longgg Day and Night ahead of them. DEC still has the Gate Locked up right now.
  Hopefully- what is left of Hurricane  Ian will move further East out to Sea as Orange County is supposed  to get some rain tonight.
   I will be out somewhere  tomorrow  morning  also looking for Pheasants and the Wily/ Woodcock.
20220930_111402.thumb.jpg.ff1a2e7a03661b3391e96d8bdcace10f.jpg

They sleep in their cars?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bill is 100% correct about people sleeping in their cars at least in orange county. 

I hunt a low density deer area but low hunting pressure on state land. On a random Tuesday bow season last year on my walk out after last light there was a young guy from the city late 20s with a headlamp reading a book in a lawn chair outside of his hatchback car. 

I had to ask what he was up to. He told me he was new to hunting loved the area and his girlfriend wouldn't let him pay for a hotel (very few around). I laughed told him good luck gave him a hot area to hunt and told him to find a new girlfriend. Few and far between but it happens. 

Same stateland about 4 years ago 2 guys from New Hampshire were doing the same thing at a different parking area.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

  Just took a nice Bike Ride at Stewart State Forest. Took the picture below at 11.15am. Looks like 2 Pheasant  Hunters have arrived early for tomorrows opening day/ October 1st.

  They have a Longgg Day and Night ahead of them. DEC still has the Gate Locked up right now.

  Hopefully- what is left of Hurricane  Ian will move further East out to Sea as Orange County is supposed  to get some rain tonight.

   I will be out somewhere  tomorrow  morning  also looking for Pheasants and the Wily/ Woodcock.

20220930_111402.jpg

Really does that place get that crowed these days that it  Is possible to not find a place to park? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not to speak for Bill but hell yes. I wouldn't even bother with Stewart because of overcrowding. 

As I said above Orange County is tough even in low density areas. Gun season forget about it, I don't even bother most years in my favorite stateland spots. Pretty sure I went on a rant last year on this forum about silly  people in the woods. 

Lol I've seen guys 50byards into the woods sitting behind a log, one guy in sneakers with a baseball cap, it's weird.

If i head put opening day gun season I'll take pictures. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, corydd7 said:

Bill is 100% correct about people sleeping in their cars at least in orange county. 

I hunt a low density deer area but low hunting pressure on state land. On a random Tuesday bow season last year on my walk out after last light there was a young guy from the city late 20s with a headlamp reading a book in a lawn chair outside of his hatchback car. 

I had to ask what he was up to. He told me he was new to hunting loved the area and his girlfriend wouldn't let him pay for a hotel (very few around). I laughed told him good luck gave him a hot area to hunt and told him to find a new girlfriend. Few and far between but it happens. 

Same stateland about 4 years ago 2 guys from New Hampshire were doing the same thing at a different parking area.

   In past years in Early October, if,I arrived at 4am or later,I might be behind 20 Vehicles  already parked on that main access road off of Rt. 207.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, corydd7 said:

Not to speak for Bill but hell yes. I wouldn't even bother with Stewart because of overcrowding. 

As I said above Orange County is tough even in low density areas. Gun season forget about it, I don't even bother most years in my favorite stateland spots. Pretty sure I went on a rant last year on this forum about silly  people in the woods. 

Lol I've seen guys 50byards into the woods sitting behind a log, one guy in sneakers with a baseball cap, it's weird.

If i head put opening day gun season I'll take pictures. 

Cynthia told me there is not as many Deer at Stewart as many years back. She says it is over hunted as far as going for Deer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bill is 100% correct about people sleeping in their cars at least in orange county. 
I hunt a low density deer area but low hunting pressure on state land. On a random Tuesday bow season last year on my walk out after last light there was a young guy from the city late 20s with a headlamp reading a book in a lawn chair outside of his hatchback car. 
I had to ask what he was up to. He told me he was new to hunting loved the area and his girlfriend wouldn't let him pay for a hotel (very few around). I laughed told him good luck gave him a hot area to hunt and told him to find a new girlfriend. Few and far between but it happens. 
Same stateland about 4 years ago 2 guys from New Hampshire were doing the same thing at a different parking area.

On state land in 3N Putnam we used to go like 2am and go back to bed or try for a few hours for those spots that only fit 3-4 cars. That was gun deer


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BizCT said:


On state land in 3N Putnam we used to go like 2am and go back to bed or try for a few hours for those spots that only fit 3-4 cars. That was gun deer


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thats dedication right there. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, phantom said:

Really does that place get that crowed these days that it  Is possible to not find a place to park? 

  Very Crowded especially  since 2015 when the Bow Deer Season was moved back to October  1st.

  Only about 78 Hunter Parking areas at Stewart.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

I am going to go out tomorrow  instead. Those Wet Pheasants  are going to run mostly today

 

Last time i was there was early 90s   took my younger  cousin  there for his first time small game  hunting never forget that my dad    managed to shoot a  phensent flying   off a tree on one of those trails we had no dog or nothing . Then i think we asked about deer hunting there but i think you had to apply for  Special permit for the whole  deer  season back then did not bother ever going back . You got me wanting to go back just out of Curiosity.  

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...