Back tags?

Lawdwaz

I don't think that the poachers will be wearing back tags of legal ones for that matter

Lol ...... You're probably right, but I wish there was some way of seeing some stats on that. Sure the poachers who are out there in the middle of the night with the spotlights and rifles sure wouldn't have any reason or desire to be wearing a back tag. But I have a feeling that the majority of poachers are simply hunters performing a crime of opportunity. Most likely they have no premeditated ideas of going out for the purpose of poaching but rather decide to break laws on the spur of the moment. You might be surprised just how many of the game law violators (poachers) do so dressed in normal hunting garb with their back-tag inadvertantly still stuck on their back.

Doc

I carry mine in my shirt pocket.  I think the nz is excluded because we dont shoot at each other even when we wear camo, and everyone knows everyone, so I call them by name not number. Plus the yellow really sticks out against my camo pattern. 

Hmmmm..I think the only places I have hunted that require a backtag are NY and PA...

That includes a bunch of states and several Canadian Provinces....

I would tend to agree with Lawdwaz that they are outdated, unecessary, and generally a pain in the ass..

I'll continue to wear mine . Just about the time that I don't ,  i'd be getting a tap on the shoulder by a game warden . I've been hunting since 1965 and have never lost a tag .

I actually lost mine out of a fanny pack a few years ago.  xpensive to purchase and almost as expensive to replace at 10 bucks a tag

I lost one while Grouse hunting in thick stuff.  it was a real pain to replace it too.  It took a couple of days to get to the place where I could get a replacement and I had to stop hunting until I did.

The question is not why is it a hassle to wear it, it's why does the law say you have to wear it?

When I am out coon hunting at night, I usually wear my backtag even though I am in the Catskill Park and don't have to.  There are several reasons for this--you have to if you get onto city watershed land, which can happen pretty easily, but the most important is so that when some anti-hunting type calls the local authorities to report me for jacklighting deer, the local cops and eco's recognize that I'm out there with above-board intentions.  By now, most of the local authorities recognize my vehicle and my hounds, but when they see the backtag, even the ones that don't know me don't bother to get out of their car--just wave and continue on. To be honest, I think a piece of paper in that year's color would probably satisfy most authorities, but I see no reason not to wear the real thing.

I wear my tag when chasing bears during the summer too.  It saves having to stop in the middle of a chase to demonstrate that I'm legit.  My bear chase special license is just a letter from DEC and I keep it in the backtag holder with the hunting license.  I've never been asked for it, though.  ECO's don't usually get that deep in the woods.

For those of you carrying copies or leaving tags back at the truck, they can give you a citation for that, and they will if you catch the wrong ECO on the right day.

I don't think that the poachers will be wearing back tags of legal ones for that matter

Lol ...... You're probably right, but I wish there was some way of seeing some stats on that. Sure the poachers who are out there in the middle of the night with the spotlights and rifles sure wouldn't have any reason or desire to be wearing a back tag. But I have a feeling that the majority of poachers are simply hunters performing a crime of opportunity. Most likely they have no premeditated ideas of going out for the purpose of poaching but rather decide to break laws on the spur of the moment. You might be surprised just how many of the game law violators (poachers) do so dressed in normal hunting garb with their back-tag inadvertantly still stuck on their back.

Doc

I have mine on my backpack as well because it is usually on my back unless Im in the tree stand, then my backpack is hanging from the stand or tree and you can see it. I will put it on whatever jacket I am wearing to go small game hunting though.

This is what i do as well. Plus i have found with it on my back it makes noise on the bark of a tree in the stand

I never saw the point of wearin a back tag especially after i was sitting in my stand on state land and had 2 dec officers walk within the outer reaches of bow range and not even see me.  granted i didnt yell or anything as to not potentially scare anything away in the area but i was standing up flailing my arms waving at them.  What really got me was they stopped where there wasnt a bush, tree, or branch between us and they were lookin right in my direction and never saw me. ....kinda creeped myself out wondering if i ever been in the presence of someone else in there stand and not ever know it haha. but anyway if they cant effin see my 240 lb fat ass in a 13ft tree stand then how they gonna see a back tag.  ill produce the tags when they can see it.

Just to let you in on somthing. Trespassers do not wear back tags.

What's the big deal??

You have it on your pack?  Not correct.  It's supposed to be on your back, all the time.  You leave your pack on all the time?

Occasionally I switch coats, sometimes it rains and I have a rain suit on.  Sometimes I go through heavy brush and stand a chance of losing it.

As far as using binos to get a poachers back tag number your dreaming.

Really now, why do we wear a back tag?