Crud Ring

phade

Shooting 90 gr vol BH209 with a 250 gr SST and standard sabot.

Never noticed or had this problem before, but gun is developing a crud ring with 209 - to the point I can only clear it out using foaming cleaner that has sat for 20 minutes. It develops within a few shots. I also seem to get hang fires once the ring is there.

I'm familiar with what a bad ring can be (777 pellets), but this one is not as bad at all, but it is there, stubborn to remove, and seems to be a potential source for the hang fires. I didn't notice any shallower loading, however.

In the past I could shoot 10+ times with no fear using the BH209, but seems like after shot 2 or 3...its there and seems to be causing me problems.

What gives?

Crud ring wont cause hang fires... flash channel in your breech plug prolly had carbon buildup... as for crud ring with bh209.. never had that issue so i cant help ya with that

Breech plug is clean. I inspected and cleaned it before having the second hang fire - it was dry too.

What primer are you using?

Can you easily twist an 1/8 drill bit thru the flash channel?

CCI 209M

I use welding cleaning jags and the 1/8 when through without much issue. Same issue happened before and after the cleaning of the breech plug.

CCI 209 primer is too hot... try a 777 primer or Remington. The primer is actually ejecting the bullet before the powder burns.. causing a air pocket which allows the crud ring to build in it.

this would seem to make sense.  I'd make sure the primers aren't old and haven't taken on any moisture.  in all honestly Don Lur from western powders told me they've had best results with CCI 209M primers.  we were talking about using my TC Prohunter though.  I'll send you a PM with his contact info.  Maybe he's still around and can help.

yeah this is perplexing. its been a proven load for me for two years now. ive probably put 70 or 80 shots through the gun in this format. I thought primers too but if moisture got in the would that cause a ring? I really went through the breech plug too a second time after all the suggestions and its in great shape and clean.

appreciate the input and pm dbl. im going to contact him monday. ive got the ml cleaned out great and she should shoot fine for the first shot or two. odd situation.

I would still look at the breech plug.  And the bullet moving off the power was referring to pellets not loose powder.  The flash channel will build up carbon. even though it looks clear, there can be build up.  This will cause the problems you describe. Not enough flash to ignite the powder quickly causing the powder to burn slow or misfire.  BTW I have an H&R sidekick  I use bh209 with 777 primers with no misfires as of yet