How do the deer know so fast?

dhuntley2

My dad and I started logging yesterday in what we call the big woods, our mature forest mostly hard maple. We have a decent amount of snow on the ground and have had for a week. Yesterday there was not a deer track anywhere near where we were logging. We got 4 maples down and left the tops in the woods. Today we went back to do more and the deer had hammered the tops, eating the buds, there were tracks everywhere. How do the deer know that this new food is now available? It was less than 12 hours.

Ya I never really gave the sound of the saw and equipment much thought to them knowing it meant food. That makes sense. 

It happens a lot too during harvest time on farms with a bunch of different animals and the sound of the farm machines.. corn picker, tractor noises etc... farmers sometimes watch the animals come in waiting to eat the stuff that hits the ground and doesn't make it into the truck and back to the barn.

• Like 1

It happens a lot too during harvest time on farms with a bunch of different animals and the sound of the farm machines.. corn picker, tractor noises etc... farmers sometimes watch the animals come in waiting to eat the stuff that hits the ground and doesn't make it into the truck and back to the barn.

Ya I was just thinking about that too. When we harvested our corn this year there was 6 bucks and 6 does eating the stuff on the ground. I would go around the field and they would be out, but I related it to the fact that these deer were probably heading to the alfalfa field behind the corn field anyways and just took advantage of the chopped corn. I never really thought it was the sound and still don't know if I do with that example. The deer are on their feeding patterns anyways and go through standing corn all day long.

Ya I was just thinking about that too. When we harvested our corn this year there was 6 bucks and 6 does eating the stuff on the ground. I would go around the field and they would be out, but I related it to the fact that these deer were probably heading to the alfalfa field behind the corn field anyways and just took advantage of the chopped corn. I never really thought it was the sound and still don't know if I do with that example. The deer are on their feeding patterns anyways and go through standing corn all day long.

You could be right early morning or late evening... but during the middle of the day I bet its the sound of the machines

I never thought much about the sounds of farm equipment or saws attracting deer but thinking about past experiences this makes sense.I knew chainsaws attracted deer but I didn't know deer would actually watch people cutting.Interesting.

Only if it's routine for the area.   Deer adjust to anything that's recurrent and proves over time to not put them in danger.   Now, couple that with something that provides food and you have a dinner bell in the making. 

I had a guy in a stand on another property one bow season ...driving me nuts...start and stop of chainsaw every half hour or so...I finally realized it was one of the toy saws he was using to attract deer......LOL...I guess I'm just not dedicated enough...I have a difficault time as it it just using a rattling bag...for fear of movement...hahaha

I skid all my firewood off my land to heat the house.  It is not uncommon and actually expected at this point to have deer following the skidder in and out of the woods.  This summer I had 1 doe in particular that I swear she would here the skidder start up and wait to follow me around.   I tend to leave the tops through the winter and harvest those in the late spring just for the wildlife during the winter.  The moisture in those tops will keep enough green in the tips for them to browse on and add some cover for a lot of wildlife. 

Only if it's routine for the area.   Deer adjust to anything that's recurrent and proves over time to not put them in danger.   Now, couple that with something that provides food and you have a dinner bell in the making. 

Hmmmm imagine that Pavlov's experiment for deer, I guess if it works for dogs it can work for deer as well. , Would that be baiting? Getting the deer trained to come to a tractor or a chainsaw?

I had a guy in a stand on another property one bow season ...driving me nuts...start and stop of chainsaw every half hour or so...I finally realized it was one of the toy saws he was using to attract deer......LOL...I guess I'm just not dedicated enough...I have a difficault time as it it just using a rattling bag...for fear of movement...hahaha

Humm, List of deer calls. I don't see chainsaws in the hunting guide. Wonder how that would go over with the DEC.?

Hmmmm imagine that Pavlov's experiment for deer, I guess if it works for dogs it can work for deer as well. , Would that be baiting? Getting the deer trained to come to a tractor or a chainsaw?

Technically, I'd have to be a "yes", but legally? I don't see how it could be.  "I was just cutting wood for winter"