Long Island is the worst for hunting

outdoorjay

so I'm gonna rant because today I had the most worst hunting experience ever! So today I hunted Long Island for deer well I thought that's what I was gonna do until I found out that was going to be accompanied by pheasant hunters. They literally walked right under my stands three time and waved at me three times. I guy forty yards away shot two pheasants in my direction and mind you, he walked past me three times. This is disgusting and new york is retarded they should have set days for both big game and small game during the week now how is a man supposed to take down some deer if he's got bird shot flying everywhere far and near. And I end this rant with ...why  do I have to pay sharpshooters out of my taxes to come and wipe out nearly 5000 deer when if they made the system a lil better Long Island wouldn't be in this predictament

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so I'm gonna rant because today I had the most worst hunting experience ever! So today I hunted Long Island for deer well I thought that's what I was gonna do until I found out that was going to be accompanied by pheasant hunters. They literally walked right under my stands three time and waved at me three times. I guy forty yards away shot two pheasants in my direction and mind you, he walked past me three times. This is disgusting and new york is retarded they should have set days for both big game and small game during the week now how is a man supposed to take down some deer if he's got bird shot flying everywhere far and near. And I end this rant with ...why  do I have to pay sharpshooters out of my taxes to come and wipe out nearly 5000 deer when if they made the system a lil better Long Island wouldn't be in this predictament

I left Long Island 10 years ago and moved up to the beautiful Hudson valley, room to breath, room to hunt and room to drive your car and just live like a human.

• Like 2

outdoorjay.. This is NOT^ criticism. It is just my analysis of LI hunting...

I assume that you were on either the Rocky Point, or Otis Pike coop. because you wrote that you were told that you would share with a pheasant hunter.I saw that yesterday..I was at one spot, two pheasant(dog) guys passed me and I saw what I assumed (I didn't go close) was a deer hunter on a stand.. I was at spot 10, someone 12 and I assume the other guy was at spot 1. They all connect, as do many coop- sites.. It's just the way it is. Without the coop we got almost nothing.

IF you're at the coop that will happen at times in most spots, so pick ones that are spaced better, no guarantee, but it's all you got. and the more hunters that there are the more likely the land stays open for us..

As far as separate days..Look at the other side of it..

The State stocks pheasants every week so to a bird guy you are the one that shouldn't be in his spot..Those birds are stocked for him. Maybe he can't get his good bird spot because you are parked in it.

Deer hunters get 3 months of bow and almost one month with gun. Pheasant guys get about 60 days. Small game hunters in the coop can only hunt weekends in the coop in LI gun season.. Deer guys get all the weekdays. So from  their prospective they may think that should get more time.

When I was a coon hunter, some guys didn't like trappers to share their area, and I'm sure vice verse.. We actually met to not have an understanding..We both had equal rights to use the land for our passions, so we got to understand and respect each other.

My best squirrel spot in the coop is a very good deer spot(I should have gone there yesterday). It's a 2 car spot, so it's a crap shoot of who is there with me..For me, the deer guys don't bother my squirrels, but at times  they have taken up that spot so I can't hunt it..... AND, of course to them when I shoot I bother their deer..

When I bow hunted LI I figured hoped that my small game brothers ( we are all hunters) would push the deer all day, and they do.

So in my opinion, as  they say.. it's just life in the big city.. It is what it is.. not perfect, but like I wrote, and you know, it's just what we got and we live with it.. I hunted the coop since the mid 60's so I'm just used to it I guess, and hunting beats doing anything else for me.

There is , or was some open land west of the coop where I used to crow hunt in October which is a popular bow hunting site. One day I was at a site and a bow hunter walked thru "MY" field and took a stand at rattled behind me...He was moving and crows could see that, so I , like you, wasn't happy..But then later  I  did shoot a crow and I'm sure that he wasn't happy..We had no ill words, we were just doing our thing..Equal rights

I have had problems upstate too with too many hunters.. Cranberry Mt. and Big Buck Mtn. in particular...I once had to wait 3 hours to park and have access to Cranberry because the spots were filled.I lived with it. I could have left and gone North where there's more land, but I chose to stay.

There really is no, and will never be a solution that will make all of us happy,  so in my opinion, we just  have to adjust and improvise, and respect other hunters.

As far as separate days.. I'm retired so I don't care, but to a working guy, or someone with a young family he goes when he can. It wouldn't be right to restrict him( him can also be  her..( I have to be politically correct).

So that's my opinion..

• Like 3

Oh thanks for the heads up my bad

Suffolk is tough. There are some great spots to hunt but those things are gonna happen.

I've had a man and his wife pick mushrooms around me and under my tree for 3 hours. They had no clue I was there.

I've also sat all day to have 2 women ride horses on a trail 5 yds from me. The horses took a huge dumps 10 yds from me before and after passing me. I couldn't hold back from saying something because that area was 100% closed off to Horses.

Dogs, hunters, joggers, kids on quads, kids smoking pot, DEC, and a freaking peacock have all crossed my path in Suffolk.

Guarantee you will experience more frustration. It's part of the game.

There used to be rumors that the coop would close. Another rumor was the end of pheasant stocking by the State. Some said that the talk was just nonsense  paranoia, but it was something to talk about..Of course, some of us worried abut it, especially as we watched the area's population grow.

Through the years some spots were lost to housing developments, etc. Where I shot my first LI squirrel, first quail, and saw my first fox den are now  developments... So i just appreciate the coop, and accept the good, the bad and the ugly.

outdoorjay.. This is NOT^ criticism. It is just my analysis of LI hunting...

I assume that you were on either the Rocky Point, or Otis Pike coop. because you wrote that you were told that you would share with a pheasant hunter.I saw that yesterday..I was at one spot, two pheasant(dog) guys passed me and I saw what I assumed (I didn't go close) was a deer hunter on a stand.. I was at spot 10, someone 12 and I assume the other guy was at spot 1. They all connect, as do many coop- sites.. It's just the way it is. Without the coop we got almost nothing.

IF you're at the coop that will happen at times in most spots, so pick ones that are spaced better, no guarantee, but it's all you got. and the more hunters that there are the more likely the land stays open for us..

As far as separate days..Look at the other side of it..

The State stocks pheasants every week so to a bird guy you are the one that shouldn't be in his spot..Those birds are stocked for him. Maybe he can't get his good bird spot because you are parked in it.

Deer hunters get 3 months of bow and almost one month with gun. Pheasant guys get about 60 days. Small game hunters in the coop can only hunt weekends in the coop in LI gun season.. Deer guys get all the weekdays. So from  their prospective they may think that should get more time.

When I was a coon hunter, some guys didn't like trappers to share their area, and I'm sure vice verse.. We actually met to not have an understanding..We both had equal rights to use the land for our passions, so we got to understand and respect each other.

My best squirrel spot in the coop is a very good deer spot(I should have gone there yesterday). It's a 2 car spot, so it's a crap shoot of who is there with me..For me, the deer guys don't bother my squirrels, but at times  they have taken up that spot so I can't hunt it..... AND, of course to them when I shoot I bother their deer..

When I bow hunted LI I figured hoped that my small game brothers ( we are all hunters) would push the deer all day, and they do.

So in my opinion, as  they say.. it's just life in the big city.. It is what it is.. not perfect, but like I wrote, and you know, it's just what we got and we live with it.. I hunted the coop since the mid 60's so I'm just used to it I guess, and hunting beats doing anything else for me.

There is , or was some open land west of the coop where I used to crow hunt in October which is a popular bow hunting site. One day I was at a site and a bow hunter walked thru "MY" field and took a stand at rattled behind me...He was moving and crows could see that, so I , like you, wasn't happy..But then later  I  did shoot a crow and I'm sure that he wasn't happy..We had no ill words, we were just doing our thing..Equal rights

I have had problems upstate too with too many hunters.. Cranberry Mt. and Big Buck Mtn. in particular...I once had to wait 3 hours to park and have access to Cranberry because the spots were filled.I lived with it. I could have left and gone North where there's more land, but I chose to stay.

There really is no, and will never be a solution that will make all of us happy,  so in my opinion, we just  have to adjust and improvise, and respect other hunters.

As far as separate days.. I'm retired so I don't care, but to a working guy, or someone with a young family he goes when he can. It wouldn't be right to restrict him( him can also be  her..( I have to be politically correct).

So that's my opinion..

Very well said.

Thankful we have the spots to hunt. Greybeard is on spot with what he said. Those deer are so use to the smells and noise of out east use it to your favor. I'm very excited this year. My BIL is coming down from the Fingerlakes and hunting with us on the opening day of shotgun. We have spot 9 and 10 all to ourselves. This closes off the whole section boarded by Grumman, Wadding river and Line road. He is going to be in heaven because that property is beautiful!

Thankful we have the spots to hunt. Greybeard is on spot with what he said. Those deer are so use to the smells and noise of out east use it to your favor. I'm very excited this year. My BIL is coming down from the Fingerlakes and hunting with us on the opening day of shotgun. We have spot 9 and 10 all to ourselves. This closes off the whole section boarded by Grumman, Wadding river and Line road. He is going to be in heaven because that property is beautiful!

you will most likely have the morning to yourselves, that is an area where someone comes by in a truck or van and drops off his buddies to push east from there

First light..Good luck...

Don't rely on this !!! , but I did see 2 scrapes at 10 the other day....As you walk down the little dirt path towards the ponds they were  off the path that splits to the right..(between 10 and 12, but in 10) Of course a bow hunter could have got him. or he got pushed outta there, but I just figured that I'd pass it on because maybe he'd be somewhere in that nice piece of property between 9 and 10 with all the good cover in that direction...  something to dream about !!

I'm with you, I think that you have two good spots. I don't know, but I would think that more hunters in those areas keep towards the fields between 1, 10 and 12, and that the area  between 9 and 10 get less pressure. I'd be curious to read your opinion on that .

I like your strategy about closing off the section.. Maybe the guys in 1,12, or from 8(I think that's the # west of 9)  will push them your way..

I'm sure that a lot of guys would disagree, but I think that as annoying as it can be sharing those properties out there with other hunters that it can actually be beneficial in that they may push the deer.

Hey. Outdoor Jay, I saw your deer photos from Long Island, really nice buck, but I' m curious do you still think Long Island is THAT bad..I'm just joking, I was glad that you did so well..

Upstate can be great, with more land,less people, good country etc., but we live here..You know, as the song goes..

"If you can't be with the one you love , love the one you're with"

Thanks Lurking

First light..Good luck...

Don't rely on this !!! , but I did see 2 scrapes at 10 the other day....As you walk down the little dirt path towards the ponds they were  off the path that splits to the right..(between 10 and 12, but in 10) Of course a bow hunter could have got him. or he got pushed outta there, but I just figured that I'd pass it on because maybe he'd be somewhere in that nice piece of property between 9 and 10 with all the good cover in that direction...  something to dream about !!

I'm with you, I think that you have two good spots. I don't know, but I would think that more hunters in those areas keep towards the fields between 1, 10 and 12, and that the area  between 9 and 10 get less pressure. I'd be curious to read your opinion on that .

I like your strategy about closing off the section.. Maybe the guys in 1,12, or from 8(I think that's the # west of 9)  will push them your way..

I'm sure that a lot of guys would disagree, but I think that as annoying as it can be sharing those properties out there with other hunters that it can actually be beneficial in that they may push the deer.

We have that whole area between 4 hunters so we control it all. We had numbers 7 and 8 in the lottery so we decided to do adjoining properties. Private land to the east so I don't see how our piece will be pushed. Thanks for the info Greybeard.

Hey guys... I'm curious if state land is as bad as some say? I've been hunting for a little over five years but mostly upstate. My first two years I belonged to a hunt club on the island and took a small buck and a couple of does but it's tough to justify spending the money on the club and all the money traveling upstate. I want to get back into hunting the island next year so... 1) is the ridge check station process that bad? And 2) how would you rate hunting public land versus private land? Thanks guys!!

Pav2704.. It's easy, but can be inconvenient because there can be lines to check in and to get spots, and you may get to the window and find that the spot you wanted was taken.

There are RULES and you have to know them, they are probably on line(I have old maps with the rules, but I think you get the maps on line now)..

The rules include things like..

Weekends you have to get reservation,

it's closed on a couple of holidays,

you must hunt in the area where you park,

when you check in before 8:30am you hopefully get your spot because you can not go to another spot until after 8:30

Before Nov. 1st and after Dec. 31st you don't check in, but now you got some new rules, and special (free) permits..

etc. ..( there are more rules), ...

Rules can change so always keep current..Learn the rules, and don't just depend on someones(like mine) interpretation

I assume that you want to bow hunt for deer, I haven't bow hunted there in over 20 years so someone else can fill you in on current rules...  I THINK, that here used to be a system for letting bow hunters in before small game hunters. I don' t know if they still do that..(deer hunters get all the breaks.. just kidding) There are some good deer spots.

Firearm(shotgun) season for deer is a whole different ball game..I never got involved in it..

There are other coops on Long Island where you do not have to check in.

When you read the above posts I think you'll get the idea of what guys think is bad, and good.

As far as private land, as you know it just depends on the spot... Again, I assume you are thinking only for deer.

The coop works for me, I guess it's a mind set..I've been hunting there for a lot of years..

• Like 1