Ice Storm!

landtracdeerhunter

Yes Sir.We are in a world of hurt right now.  You cant even get out to walk from house to barn.  This is going to make newz all over for people but i sure hope the best for the animals. The deer and turkey are going to get hit hard. All this ice on top of the snow we had and now calling for 15 below zero the next few days. 

Yotes are going to feast. I got out a bit to get some gas for generator and the deer are standing and laying out in the fields away from cover!

of course the idiots that run the NYC stations have decided that it's now worth reporting so they're spending their time on dogs, sports, and fluff pieces... you know.. the stuff that really matters... <rolling eyes>

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/10k-power-northern-ny-due-ice-storm-21301374

A winter storm bringing ice and whipping winds to upstate New York and Vermont knocked out power to thousands as officials urged motorists to avoid traveling in dangerously slick conditions.

In New York's St. Lawrence County, almost 2 inches of ice had accumulated early Sunday, coating tree limbs and power lines, county dispatch operations supervisor Jim Chestnut said.

Winds were expected to pick up, increasing the chances of outage issues, but a state of emergency was keeping roads clear of hapless motorists, Chestnut said.

"It's a big party weekend, the Saturday before Christmas," Chestnut said. "This put a little bit of a hamper onto that."

"Fortunately, there were not many accidents but mainly because people are staying off the road," added County Administrator Karen St. Hilaire.

Significant accumulations of ice were expected to continue into Sunday afternoon for northern parts of New York, Vermont and New Hampshire as well as western Maine, the according to the National Weather Service.

"There's still quite a bit of precipitation still back around the Great Lakes that's still coming," said Eric Evenson, a meteorologist with the NWS office in Burlington, Vt.

National Grid reported nearly 66,000 customers without power in New York on Sunday morning. Spokesman Steve Brady said that number likely will rise. The utility said earlier it could be Monday before service is restored to some customers.

Brady said bulk of the outages were along Lake Ontario, stretching from Niagara and Erie counties in the west to Jefferson and St. Lawrence counties in the north.

He said a light overnight staff restoring power had grown to full contingent by 5 a.m.

Fewer outages were reported in Vermont, though Burlington International Airport briefly lost power Saturday evening. A generator kicked on but service was quickly restored, airport Director of Operations Kelly Colling said.

"We're doing well, surprisingly well," she said.

Northern New Hampshire and parts of western Maine were also seeing ice. The Roman Catholic Diocese of Portland released parishioners from obligation to attend Mass, urging "extreme caution and prudence" about travel decisions.

Even after the storm moves out, a deep freeze is expected to set in.

"If anything, we're going to be trending toward below-normal temperatures through the middle of the week," Evenson said. Highs in the region are expected to reach only the teens on Tuesday and Wednesday with temperatures falling into the single digits or below zero at night.

Edited by bluecoupe

I am smack in the middle of that St. Lawrence county area they are talking about.  :Last count over 3500 without power. Does not seem like a lot but in a rural area like this, that is a lot.  Plus it is very difficult to get to them to get it back on.  The first plow since 8 last night just went by. They have been running constant since Friday AM and needed a break also.   No warm up to get the ice off the trees or lines. That is the part that worries me.

http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Sunday-Morning-40000-Without-Power-In-North-236926111.html?m=y&smobile=y&clmob=y&c=n

Edited by bubba

Got the generator working. Looks like National Grid reporting 36,000 in our county alone, not to mention NYSEG.. Several poles tipped out, and high tension lines touched ground. What a blinding flash! The ground so super saturated with water, no frost in the ground. Convoys of utility trucks,names of which I've never heard of.

Bubba,i remember that ice storm, years ago that Quebec got right down into your area. Lasted for days. Anything close to that?

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Got the generator working. Looks like National Grid reporting 36,000 in our county alone, not to mention NYSEG.. Several poles tipped out, and lines touched ground. What a blinding flash! The ground so super saturated with water, no frost in the ground. Convoys of utility trucks, of which I've never heard of.

Bubba,i remember that ice storm, years ago that Quebec got right down into your area. Lasted for days. Anything close to that?

yup ice storm of 98.  I remember it well.  Does not seem that bad yet.  The big difference will be that after that one we got 2 days of weather well into the 40's to melt it off trees and wires.  None of that this time as it will turn the other way and be below zero the first part of the week causing more damage.  

We are in North Jefferson Cty about 60 milies from Bubbas place. Its real bad here but worse up there his way. He is along the river and we are off the lake.  Amazing how people from Ft Drum Military get stuck it their little hondas and fast and furious cars and just leave them sittin in the bank with some left right out in the road. lol

I think they should make solders from the south go thru a class on Ny state winter driving before they turn them loose on the roads. No major fires or wrecks yet so were good so far!!

• Like 1

The winds already starting to take the ice off the trees and lines. I'm in northern st Lawrence county. 30 miles south of the river. Nothing like the ice storm of 98 that was 3 plus inches of ice in some places. Still power at our place and ours is usually the first to go out. Talked to a Niagara Mohawk guy this morning and he said the power outages were nothing on their standards. 98 we were without power for 12 days.

Edited by dhuntley2

I've been in touch with my daughter in Potsdam...She, along my SIL and grandson still have power, so they are hunkered in safe and warm for the time being.. Keeping our fingers crossed that they maintain power.

Meanwhile, back at the oasis, it's about 60 here in southern Steuben County.

• Like 1

I am smack in the middle of that St. Lawrence county area they are talking about.  :Last count over 3500 without power. Does not seem like a lot but in a rural area like this, that is a lot.  Plus it is very difficult to get to them to get it back on.  The first plow since 8 last night just went by. They have been running constant since Friday AM and needed a break also.   No warm up to get the ice off the trees or lines. That is the part that worries me.

http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Sunday-Morning-40000-Without-Power-In-North-236926111.html?m=y&smobile=y&clmob=y&c=n

3500 Customers is a good number of customers to restore power to, given the miles of electrical distribution lines needed to serve. I have worked in restoring power after storms for National Grid in rural areas south and east of Buffalo, but not to the extent of rural terrain that the Adirondack region offers. Such a pain to restore poles/conductors. Good luck and hope things get back in order before too long.

When our son attended SUNY Potsdam, I always enjoyed the ride up 81 then route 11 to Potsdam. Now that he graduated, I kind of miss the trip...maybe this summer for old times sake.  

Must be difficult to live in rural areas, considering you need to be properly supplied with food, fuel for heat and cooking, water, T-paper...everything. Seems like you need to load up with suppies for a month just to eliminate expensive road trips for stuff. God bless ya...

3500 Customers is a good number of customers to restore power to, given the miles of electrical distribution lines needed to serve. I have worked in restoring power after storms for National Grid in rural areas south and east of Buffalo, but not to the extent of rural terrain that the Adirondack region offers. Such a pain to restore poles/conductors. Good luck and hope things get back in order before too long.

When our son attended SUNY Potsdam, I always enjoyed the ride up 81 then route 11 to Potsdam. Now that he graduated, I kind of miss the trip...maybe this summer for old times sake.  

Must be difficult to live in rural areas, considering you need to be properly supplied with food, fuel for heat and cooking, water, T-paper...everything. Seems like you need to load up with suppies for a month just to eliminate expensive road trips for stuff. God bless ya...

Yes you ride right past our place on your trip to the school. Just off #81 on #11.  We are up to over 30,000 homes without power now.  I bought a generator back in 98 for that ice storm. Used it for 2 weeks straight and then drained the fluids and put away.  

That thing has sat in my barn for like what 15 years?  Ten pulls or so and she was up and running today. Has been purrin like a kitten for hours now!