Ice Storm!

landtracdeerhunter

Oh baby.....................what a day. 

Our power was out from 8am-11am this morning, I yanked out the generator and within minutes the sump pump was powered up.  After helping a couple neighbors out and our power coming back I set out to make MY Christmas merry buy making some money..........

I only serviced three basements but had 30-40 calls that are on the back burner.  Lockport was hit HARD by the ice and power failures, Amherst it's really only the 3.5" of rain and all the snow melt runoff!  Sump pumps just couldn't keep up.

My azz is dragging, looking forward to tomorrow........... :crazy:

Oh baby.....................what a day. 

Our power was out from 8am-11am this morning, I yanked out the generator and within minutes the sump pump was powered up.  After helping a couple neighbors out and our power coming back I set out to make MY Christmas merry buy making some money..........

I only serviced three basements but had 30-40 calls that are on the back burner.  Lockport was hit HARD by the ice and power failures, Amherst it's really only the 3.5" of rain and all the snow melt runoff!  Sump pumps just couldn't keep up.

My azz is dragging, looking forward to tomorrow........... :crazy:

Makes me laugh.The news media all about the flooding in Clarence and Amherst. The people in northern Newstead and Royalton, which are experiencing moderate flooding  now, just pull up their rugs, put on their boots, and wait for it to recede.

Then again, building sites were regulated by common sense, not money.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

I am 20 miles north of Syracuse and we had 60 degrees and 16 inches of snow pretty much went bye bye. Temps never got cold enough here to get ice. I remember the 98 storm I have family in Plattsburgh, Ogdensburg, Bombay and Malone. We went up to help out. What a mess that was 3 inches of ice! I do not think any of them got more than an inch on this one.

Take care out there and watch for heavy stuff falling!!

Edited by Fletch

Everything melted in my area and everythings flooded now. There's mud everywhere. All the creeks are overflowed. At least the squirrels will be out in full force again.

when the people fear the government there is tyranny. when the government fears the people there is liberty. Thomas Jefferson

Oh we have more than an inch of ice. I drove my truck across my yard and never broke though today.  below zero for the next couple nights and no warm up in sight.  Lines ares till hanging with ice.  My plow would not break through to plow my driveway just kept going over the top.  I will have a friend with a tractor here tomorrow to clean it up.  Vehicles are driving on top right now anyway..  Still over 20 thousand total without power and below zero tonight and tomorrow night.  Merry Christmas to us.  

Wow good luck folks. We have had 40's and 50's with rain the last few days. I am in the banana belt about 30 minutes south of Glens Falls, and about 65 miles from Albany (north). I remember 98. I have family that lives a little south of Plattsburg. They run a construction company and have some big generators. They stayed awake for days driving tow behind generators to farmers up there to get their milking done. Must be tough for the farmers in your neck of the woods.

not as bad as 98 by a long shot so far.  Most got much more prepared after 98.  The big worry as far as I am concerned is all the trees and wires with no warm up to get the ice off them

Yes, not a good thing with the ice hanging on. We have lucked out and not lost power yet. After they removed the travel ban today I made a trip to Watertown to finish up my Christmas shopping.On the way home there were lines down and workers repairing a broken pole ,and downed lines in 3 spots that were ok on the way there.

I flooded out again...makes second time in six mos. had a premonition saturday and moved everything up and out and what a good decision. I have to figure out why this is happening. its like flash flood...water in fast and water out fast. this time I caught it about 4 inches and within that hour it was a foot before I got the pumps up and running. sump pumps were cycling but float was sticking on one. replaced that bugger today. if 8/10 hp of water moving power doesnt work now...im screwed, lol.

Wow, guess I need to start watching the news more often.  I hadn't even heard that you guys got an ice storm until now!  Amazing it's even possible, I am right along the Thruway and it was in the 60's here!  Good luck, hope you can stay warm.

I finished my weekend at work, went home, chopped the wife's car out, packed the car and got out of Dodge (Ogdensburg). I drove 35 to 40 miles an hour all the way to Watertown, then no more than 55 the rest of the way to Rochester. Thoughts and prayers to those still up there.

I didn't know any hillbillies live in Ogdensburg...lol

a haha I am right across the border from a good sized city in Ontario, So your remarks silly as they are, are not based  in fact.  As I said I have relatives all around Ontario and most said minimal ice more snow.  Sorry if I hurt your little feelings by reporting the truth. oh and by the way Merry Christmas

Edited by bubba

News media reported nearly 300,000 customers were without power across Ontario last weekend. I took it because of an icing event but heavy wet snow could  have played a factor also. I did view  weather radar across southern Ontario that showed icing 2 straight days before it started here. We get alot of weather from our neighbors from the north and west, so I like to view their weather radars.