Solar panel?

Swamp_bucks

Sick and tired of NYSEG and their extreme prices and poor customer service.  Looking to install solar to my roof of the house.  Anybody in CNY that’s used anyone? I’m between Binghamton and Utica.  Cost me a bunch up front but will pay for itself quickly with what I’m paying Nyseg currently. 

thanks for the info. 

I've have two clients that have solar on their roofs.  Both have had leaks that cost them out of pocket because the solar Co they used is has been bought out. 

My nephew worked for a solar co several years ago ( can't recall the name. I can find out if you want) and said he'd never put solar on his roof. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Enigma said:

What's drawing all the juice in the house Bucks? Do you have a gas hookup from them as well? 

I don’t know but the guy who came today to speak with us said we are drawing equivalent to a business.  Just insane the prices we are paying. $3-500/month with no heat or AC on in a 1400sq house with timers on hot water tank and all appliances new within the last year and a half.  We have an electrician coming to check the house and trying to get Nyseg to come check to make sure we aren’t pulling to much.  

waiting on a forester to come give me an estimate and clear an acre of woods for panels hopefully. 

If your paying that much I'd be looking into why its so high Our house is 2600sq feet and my central air was set to 70 all summer and our highest bill was 425. That's with my wife and girls leaving there bedroom windows open for fresh air too. 

I watched a house at the end of my street go up in flames due to solar panel on roof and fire department not being able to get on roof to put the fire out . 

All I will say is be careful and choose wisely. 

Edited by sbuff

57 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

I don’t know but the guy who came today to speak with us said we are drawing equivalent to a business.  Just insane the prices we are paying. $3-500/month with no heat or AC on in a 1400sq house with timers on hot water tank and all appliances new within the last year and a half.  We have an electrician coming to check the house and trying to get Nyseg to come check to make sure we aren’t pulling to much.  

waiting on a forester to come give me an estimate and clear an acre of woods for panels hopefully. 

My house is over 5000sf of finished space and I pay around 500 per month with air and heat.  You need to identify the issue.  Thats insane.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Something is not right, how much are they charging $$ you per therm and KW ?

Do  you monitor the units you use every month ?

Yea I have an electrician coming in to look and Nyseg coming to check the their side.  No reason for me to be paying this much. 

4 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Something is not right, how much are they charging $$ you per therm and KW ?

Do  you monitor the units you use every month ?

KW/hr day is 12 cents night is 7.  I’ve tried getting Nyseg to work with me and they always give me the run around. So I’m sure it’s going to be like pulling teeth. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Sounds like you have a short someplace or neighbors tapped off your meter... or faulty meter  no way you should be drawing that much power

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

Meanwhile in Swamp bucks backyard ...

330px-Teslacoil.jpg

Close but no. He might have overloaded a new circuit or two to spotlight that new buck mount on the wall. 1000W easy. But I don't think it was quite that bad. Sorry Bucks lol. 

Edited by Enigma

5 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Yea I have an electrician coming in to look and Nyseg coming to check the their side.  No reason for me to be paying this much. 

KW/hr day is 12 cents night is 7.  I’ve tried getting Nyseg to work with me and they always give me the run around. So I’m sure it’s going to be like pulling teeth. 

S B how long have you lived there ?  Did you save any of your previous paper bills that show your usage ? If you have an online account and pay your bill on the electric companies website , they usually have a graph of your usage and how much you paid monthly . Ours shows the past 3 years . Check for that and see if you see a huge spike in usage somewhere . If you find one , try to think what work you had done or something new that was purchased or installed.   Im not in NY , but supposedly NH has much higher rates than NY . My highest bill has been $270 for 2500 sqft house . I attribute that to the 4 window AC units running 24/7 and the kids dont have a clue to shut the lights off and leave a lighted trail behind them LOL . 

Revolution solar is a small company by me,a friend runs it. They have been installing solar panels for well over a decade,you might want to give them a call. They do different styles of panels,one of them being those units that track the sun. You don't need to clear a lot of woods for those.

• Like 1