What do you think...

Do the usual prep for corn...make sure I get urea down early ...spread and disc the corn in then one of two options......... lightly disc in ag oats or spring trictical and then drag smooth  or drag smooth and lay down some annual red or other fast growing annual clover before a rain...

I am thinking because it takes some time for corn to grow fast enough to shade out other plants...and I don't use RR corn that the quick grain or clover cover crop would help deter weed growth and add to the soil...

Edited by growalot

I forgot to go join up...and still not guaranteed corn...Pres. said only so much allotted to a region....but besides that...I try not to HAVE to use RR type sprays too much...what I don't want are super weeds popping up...also always looking to improve soil tilth while feeding critters... 

I usually renew my membership in Jan/Feb for $35 and I receive a $25 Bass Pro Shop gift card for doing so. The local rep for the NWTF always tells me that I'm not guaranteed to get corn, but I have received two bags each year for the last two years. If I remember correctly I give him $5 per bag for the shipping of the corn. Pretty good deal considering my neighbor said he paid a little over $200 for one bag this past year.

Anyone in my area that wants to join nwtf let me know our banquets coming up in march, I believe its $10 a bag and we will have a limited amount. Growalot I have planted a pheasants forever blend of corn, buckwheat, sunflowers and sorghums and the buckwheat gives it a jump start and haven't had any issues with weeds.