4 deer in 9 seconds

Uncle Nicky

Not really…He was more concerned with stacking them up rather than clean kills. Thats why he didn't even pay attention to the first one he hit, to make sure it was out, took a crap shot at the second deer and immediately just started shooting at all the rest. Nothing illegal but IMHO a total loser move.

BS. He dispatched the only one that didnt die from the first shot in less than 45 seconds. The first deer piled up in 15 yards, watch the slow motion, he hit that deer perfectly, right in the lungs, maybe heart as well.

There was nothing illegal as far as I know, nothing unethical, and the only loser move is flaming on a fellow hunter that isnt breaking the rules and isnt purposely inflicting more pain than necessary on the animals. I bet you must be one of those that supposedly never needs a follow up shot.

Well, then Early got involved, theres a whole bunch of loser moves going on with that one.

• Like 1

Early, on 27 Dec 2013 - 6:49 PM, said:

See....I told told you:   A lot of whining and a lot of counter comments in attempt to shore up "not hunter" behavior!

If I move the computer over to the window; and happen to be browsing a hunting related web-site when I see something to shoot....

Does that make me a hunter?

I can see if it was just gun related, that'd make me a shooter I reckon.

Seems kind of lopsided...shouldn't that be any deer and not just a nice buck?

Wounding a deer with a bad shot will happen sooner or later as the law of averages creep up. If a hunter says he hasn't taken a bad shot a time or two in his "career" he's either not hunted long enough or he's lying to himself. Four deer with a bow is nothing. I've had more than four deer run longer than 50 yds with two lungs popped. I've also dropped deer with questionable shots. At the time my brain processed it, it was fine. Looking back, I learned from it.

But the first part of my post was that I could basically shoot a doe whenever. But because nice bucks are rare there's a chance one might be tempted to take a riskier shot.

The moral of the story is that deer don't always die. People are human and things happen. If you did your best to prevent a bad shot by practicing and taking a high percentage shot then it can be forgiveable and understandable because as most of you point out, we've all been there. But to be consciously sloppy is hard to grasp for some. In this case all deer dead. But that's not always the case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This, to me, is pretty much representative of many hunters who post on here:  Hunt from a high stand...and place the emphasis on the product...not the process.   I would suspect that the stand hunters here would find this A-OK......Genuine hunters may question it a bit.  So....you decide:  are you a deer hunter...or a deer killer??  That will determine how you view this.

Stand hunting is ambushing, not hunting.  The guy in this video was/is a stand hunter.  If you hunt from a stand, do not criticize what he is doing.  If, on the other hand, you wish to confront a deer on his own level and see this as something other than hunting....I agree!

I can already hear the squeals from the stand "hunters".  Say what you want...a person hidden in an elevated stand...a person who is not fit enough or not willing to walk to get a crack at a deer...is NOT a hunter.  He/she knows not what hunting means.  So....they will love this video.....Real hunters will NOT!

While I wouldn't do what this guy did, nor could I for that matter (my heart would be jumping around just taking one deer)  What you said is a complete a load of crap.   So a stand hunter isn't a genuine hunter, give me a break.  There is ZERO difference if you are in a stand verses hunting on the ground, rock, blind, or whatever.  I hunt along with actually every single person I hunt with use a mix of different hunting techniques depending on the day, time, weather and situation. Again, its not something I would do for a number of reasons, however if it's legal it is what is is.

And  "Real hunters" don't sit there and bash other legal hunters either, take that for what its worth. 

• Like 3

I wont take a shot at a moving deer with a bow, and I wont take a shot at a deer running full bore with either a gun or bow, but a walking deer or trotting deer with a gun, yep, Im taking it. Ive taken many deer that way over the years.

With a gun? Trotting? Me too if there's not a lot of thick stuff

• Like 1

Moving or running? There is a hell of a difference, isn't there?

Agreed. Both the buck with bow and doe with MZ I shot this year were moving a little. The doe was walking and the buck walking very slow.

The key word is running. I guess I'm just lucky. I've had so many "tit shot" opportunities at doe over the years that I'd never "need" to take a running shot.

I must be an unfit non-hunter...that makes alot of sense since I often hike my climber in and then actually climb the tree...that's one step further then just walking around like Elmer Fudd.

I guess owls, lions, bobcats and anything else that ambushes from an elevated position aren't hunting either...

By the way early...from live from the stand and harvest threads it looks like I spend a lot more time out there unhunting then most of you armchair deer stewards do hunting.

In fact if you see me posting on this site chances are I either hunted that day (as i did today and yesterday in NJ) or am planning on it the next morning...I like actually doing it alot more than pontificating about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager

BS. He dispatched the only one that didnt die from the first shot in less than 45 seconds. The first deer piled up in 15 yards, watch the slow motion, he hit that deer perfectly, right in the lungs, maybe heart as well.

There was nothing illegal as far as I know, nothing unethical, and the only loser move is flaming on a fellow hunter that isnt breaking the rules and isnt purposely inflicting more pain than necessary on the animals. I bet you must be one of those that supposedly never needs a follow up shot.

Well, then Early got involved, theres a whole bunch of loser moves going on with that one.

Just saying..If were me I would have  made sure that the first one I shot was killed as fast as possible. I would not have turned my attention to the others until I was sure the first one was done. But like I said..thats me.. He seemed to be more  interested in numbers rather than a quick kill. So for me its not "BS". Stack em up as high as you want but make sure that they're down and out before you move on to the next one. Don't leave the first one blatting  and trying to crawl away., for only 45 seconds…...Just me.

• Like 1

[quote name="Doc" post="275257" timestamp=

Was I supposed to be impressed by hunting "trick-shots"? Sorry, I have no idea how many other times he has been blazing away with entirely different results. Ever wonder how many wounding failures a guy has to go through just to learn how to shoot at running deer? After all, there aren't a whole lot of different ways that you can practice shooting a target that is running full-tilt through the trees and bouncing up and down at the same time, other than just flinging lead until you get the knack of it.

I Agee to a point. I know a few avid duck and rabbit hunters who happen to be very good at dropping running deer as well.

I work with a guy that owns a few Blueticks that he runs coyotes with, mile upon mile upon mile day after day . He drops piles of them each year all on the run, some up close with #4buck many not so close with a rifle . He's pretty good on running deer.

If most of ones long gun shooting is standing or worse sitting still shooting at a non moving target a box or two a year " to make sure my gun is still on" lol. Yes please only shoot at close non moving targets.

Come on guys, lets stop the I am better than you because you don't hunt like me attitude.  Hunting from a blind, tree stand, or the ground are all ways to hunt.  So is targeting big bucks, doe and even fawns.  Each method has advantages and disadvantages does not make one way wrong or unethical.

In the heat of the moment it is easy to make a bad judgment on a shot especially after the excitement of dropping a deer 2 seconds earlier.  Don't be so critical of your fellow hunter.  And if you are....

I would love to see the video next year of you killing one deer in less then 45 seconds.  Give me a brake.  If you think every deer dies within a minute you have not hunted very long.  Reality check!!!  We might not like watching that deer "suffer" for those 20 or so seconds but guess what, that is part of deer hunting. 

I think Steve863 Nailed it. 

" It would be nice if they all just gently lied down and rolled over dead without a twitch, but that's not how it always happens.  Anyone who has hunted long enough realizes this."

• Like 6

The guy that only shoots a mature buck every few years is not helping pop control at all, often to the detriment of other potential trophy bucks.

That said to each his own, but numbers of does taken in overpopulated areas is a critical stat.

If you guys would prefer red tags where bald bucks are getting dropped 24/7/365 that's your opinion, id rather see a hunter do it in season under regs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99% of hunters are not thinking about population control when pulling the trigger... even the meat hunters have little concern about population control when filling tags... most really like the idea of having so many deer.. it makes filling the freezer easier. Having said that.. those same 99% of hunters suddenly become conservationists and proponents of deer population control when posting on any forum.

Come on guys, lets stop the I am better than you because you don't hunt like me attitude.  Hunting from a blind, tree stand, or the ground are all ways to hunt.  So is targeting big bucks, doe and even fawns.  Each method has advantages and disadvantages does not make one way wrong or unethical.

In the heat of the moment it is easy to make a bad judgment on a shot especially after the excitement of dropping a deer 2 seconds earlier.  Don't be so critical of your fellow hunter.  And if you are....

I would love to see the video next year of you killing one deer in less then 45 seconds.  Give me a brake.  If you think every deer dies within a minute you have not hunted very long.  Reality check!!!  We might not like watching that deer "suffer" for those 20 or so seconds but guess what, that is part of deer hunting. 

I think Steve863 Nailed it. 

" It would be nice if they all just gently lied down and rolled over dead without a twitch, but that's not how it always happens.  Anyone who has hunted long enough realizes this."

This sums it up for me...  Thank you.. 

Most of the rest of you are just coming off as self-righteous... thanks, but I will pass. 

If I were that guy, I would not have taken and posted that video

This, to me, is pretty much representative of many hunters who post on here:  Hunt from a high stand...and place the emphasis on the product...not the process.   I would suspect that the stand hunters here would find this A-OK......Genuine hunters may question it a bit.  So....you decide:  are you a deer hunter...or a deer killer??  That will determine how you view this.

Stand hunting is ambushing, not hunting.  The guy in this video was/is a stand hunter.  If you hunt from a stand, do not criticize what he is doing.  If, on the other hand, you wish to confront a deer on his own level and see this as something other than hunting....I agree!

I can already hear the squeals from the stand "hunters".  Say what you want...a person hidden in an elevated stand...a person who is not fit enough or not willing to walk to get a crack at a deer...is NOT a hunter.  He/she knows not what hunting means.  So....they will love this video.....Real hunters will NOT!

I am not a stand hunter... and it doesn't feel like hunting to me when I'm in a stand.. but I would never deny that it is hunting... my opinion is based on my lack of the patience it takes to be a good stand hunter... whenever a hunter enters the woods with the intention of harvesting any animal he is hunting... whether it be in a stand, behind a blind, or in foot pursuit of that animal. Many successful stand hunters put in their time and are quite successful because of the time they have taken to choose stand location, placement, height etc. Hunting is any legal tactic that is affective for taking down whatever game you are hunting... your choice of legal hunting tactic has little to do with hunting ethics or how genuine a hunter you are. Being a deer killer is merely a part of what we all have to be to get to the reason there is hunting in the first place. I think the whole idea of deer conservation and population control is to kill deer.

• Like 3

I am not a stand hunter... and it doesn't feel like hunting to me when I'm in a stand.. but I would never deny that it is hunting... my opinion is based on my lack of the patience it takes to be a good stand hunter... whenever a hunter enters the woods with the intention of harvesting any animal he is hunting... whether it be in a stand, behind a blind, or in foot pursuit of that animal. Many successful stand hunters put in their time and are quite successful because of the time they have taken to choose stand location, placement, height etc. Hunting is any legal tactic that is affective for taking down whatever game you are hunting... your choice of legal hunting tactic has little to do with hunting ethics or how genuine a hunter you are. Being a deer killer is merely a part of what we all have to be to get to the reason there is hunting in the first place. I think the whole idea of deer conservation and population control is to kill deer.

And eat tasty backstraps.

• Like 1

Lets see, this year i killed deer from stands, still hunting, on drives, and standing on the ground. They were standing still, walking and trotting. I used every type of legal implement other than one. Im such a bad hunter.....

Only the ones from the ground are legit  :girlcrazy:

• Like 1

Ha-ha ... it looks like this thread took a rather lively turn after I got off-line yesterday. Piled on another 2 or 3 pages just over-night ..... lol.

Well, I have some preferred methods of hunting too and some that I really don't care for. But I will say that I have spent time doing all of them. I am not afraid to list off the arguments for and against each. It's what's known as an opinion. And yes, most of the reasons are personal and based on what hunting means to me, and the traditions and history that I was raised with. My feelings about shot selection are in the same vein also. There are certain shots that to me do not allow the shooter to pick a lethal spot before pulling the trigger (a criteria that was drummed into my head from the beginnings of my hunting). I am also not bashful about stating those opinions either. That's kind of what we do here, isn't it?

And then we are always treated to one of these, "Can't we all just get along" whiney replies that frankly are getting kind of old. This is a forum. Opinions are expressed here. Like any opinions, there is some agreement and there is some disagreement. This does not mean that hunting as an activity is going to cease to exist and come crashing down around our ears. The drama is wonderful but really, let's understand that we all do things differently, and there really is no requirement that just because we are hunters, we all have to trash our beliefs and opinions just to avoid disagreements.

Just saying..If were me I would have made sure that the first one I shot was killed as fast as possible. I would not have turned my attention to the others until I was sure the first one was done. But like I said..thats me.. He seemed to be more interested in numbers rather than a quick kill. So for me its not "BS". Stack em up as high as you want but make sure that they're down and out before you move on to the next one. Don't leave the first one blatting and trying to crawl away., for only 45 seconds…...Just me.

Then i guess you would never shoot multiple deer. That first deer went 15 yards, and was a perfect vitals shot, i would say thats pretty good. Second one went about 5 yards. Last two dropped immediately. As soon as the second hit the ground, he went to the next deer, it wasnt until after that when it started trying to crawl off. Watch the video, youll see what i mean.