4 deer in 9 seconds

Uncle Nicky

Funny one guy gets lucky and gets defended the next do essentailly the same thing and get hammered. double standard? People who do not hunt view both videos exactly the same.

Wrong. The guy in the first video chose his shots carefully, even though they were quick. The other guys were just slinging lead. Whole different thing. I dont think anyone with any common sense would regard these videos as the same thing, except they are both deer hunting.

• Like 1

A word about "drives". Not all drives are created equal. I have done a lot of two man drives with a designated stander and another guy still hunting in a strategic direction. Not every drive is the hoopin & hollerin style of circus depicted in that 2nd video. I have eventually weaned myself off of any kind of drives simply because I prefer to not make my hunting a team sport. For me, I see it all as an individual activity with success or failure relying strictly on my own abilities and efforts. Sure, I understand that in gun season, the idea of individual effort is usually a myth. There is a lot of success that comes from the understanding of "hunter" patterns, and escape route reactions to pressure from other hunters. But as best as possible I tend to "try" to make my own successes. I know that for many, that individualism doesn't really play a part or is much of a concern That's ok, but for me it is all about one-on-one between hunter and prey. That's why I much prefer bowhunting. Bowhunting relies on my scouting, my figuring out patterns, my ambush set-up, my shooting and my skills. Those that want to turn their hunting into a party, I understand it, I do see the appeal, I even participated in it for a while. Today it's just not my style. I guess we all change in one way or another over the years.

A word about "drives". Not all drives are created equal. I have done a lot of two man drives with a designated stander and another guy still hunting in a strategic direction. Not every drive is the hoopin & hollerin style of circus depicted in that 2nd video. I have eventually weaned myself off of any kind of drives simply because I prefer to not make my hunting a team sport. For me, I see it all as an individual activity with success or failure relying strictly on my own abilities and efforts. Sure, I understand that in gun season, the idea of individual effort is usually a myth. There is a lot of success that comes from the understanding of "hunter" patterns, and escape route reactions to pressure from other hunters. But as best as possible I tend to "try" to make my own successes. I know that for many, that individualism doesn't really play a part or is much of a concern That's ok, but for me it is all about one-on-one between hunter and prey. That's why I much prefer bowhunting. Bowhunting relies on my scouting, my figuring out patterns, my ambush set-up, my shooting and my skills. Those that want to turn their hunting into a party, I understand it, I do see the appeal, I even participated in it for a while. Today it's just not my style. I guess we all change in one way or another over the years.

I think you hit on something Doc. I have been very luck (I believe) in that I have always had a close group of friends and family that I have hunted with for years with more of a CAMP attitude rather than an individual attitude. There has always been older guys in the group that grew up with deer drives as part of their hunting arsenal. Most of the drives we did were positioned still hunts like you described but there were drives that required a bit of noise to spook the deer out of very heavy cover as well as allowing us to keep the drivers in line for safety sake. 2 thick cedar swaps come to mind that depending on the path you were taking many times I even left my gun with one of the watchers.

I think its darn near mandatory as a kid or a teen growing into the hunting heritage...to participate in a well-planned, organized drive. This drive includes the teen going in sans weapon into the thickest, nastiest undergrowth with hands and knees crawling being necessary, to pop out a lone doe for an old salt to safely shoot.

Work, yes. Fun, yes. Value-adding to the hunting experience. Yes.

I hope when I get too old to be as mobile and aggressive in my hunting tactics, that some young gun is willing to do the same for me.

While I strongly enjoy bowhunting from a treestand, there is something to be said about well-organized and safely executed deer drives with close friends and family in gun season. Kids in hunting these days getting the youth season, and being "bred" to hunt from stands and ground blinds only does nothing but shrink one's experiences at a time it's most critical to development of the hunting passion.

When I was a kid, I:

• participated in deer drives and often was a pusher
  • dragged out deer I didn't shoot
  • learned how to gut often
  • participated in dog running for deer (not my thing now, but I think it's something everyone should experience at least once)
  • barely got sleep the night before the "big" drive
  • looked forward to that breakfast meeting of the hunters...sitting in our B/O camo in the diner, not worrying about scent control
  • listened and learned why and how drives were organized
  • took the lead on organizing a drive or two once they felt I had the grasp of it
  • just flat out enjoyed the camaraderie of it all

Given, this was in addition to the traditional learning curve of hunting and reading sign, stand placement, and so on.

I just feel that bullet list above has darn near disappeared from the experiences of young hunters today, and it's a shame because they are missing out on valuable knowledge and great experiences.

• Like 2

I'll take a slow well thought out stalk over the whistles(which we use to use at camp) the yelling and the shots through brush at wild eye running deer...I would rather teach a young hunter the patients to spend an hour moving 100ft to sneak in on a deer than screaming through the brush or wing shooting deer...(that are really running) not trotting through the woods......

Not just our camp but all the ones around us spent the last weekend running drives...I'd get in my car/truck to drive home to watch deer crossing from and to our place legs blown off...guts dangling out... even ears blown off...couple of years of that and I stopped going down the last weekend...Not all drives are done badly...not all shooters are crazed trigger pullers...but it's just not a personal preference...that was replaced when rifles were made legal...no complaints there...

Not all drives are done badly...not all shooters are crazed trigger pullers...but it's just not a personal preference...that was replaced when rifles were made legal...no complaints there...

You did see that right?...your lucky...I have to say It wasn't just our camp...for when you were a wee little one ...and I would drive down to camp bright and early Monday morning the number of guys I would see lined up from Geneso/Groveland to Alfred marching from the road and cars into the woods screaming and yelling and the barrage of guns heard as they marched towards the wood line was a bit crazy There was one field in general not all that far from the new salt mind that comes to mind...it was every year until I started spending the night at camp......back then it wasn't an army of orange but mostly blk and red with some orange...Before yotes were prevalent putting down a rancid smelling deer the last week of gun or the ML week happened often 1-2 a year...to me that is often for that sort of thing..... here at the house we had a period of 6 years that I had to dispatch a deer every year...and my neighbor would call wild mad about having to do the same..they don't doe hunt....all due to drives three different groups would do them...but now the land has been locked up so only one groups still does it every year...

You did see that right?...your lucky...I have to say It wasn't just our camp...for when you were a wee little one ...and I would drive down to camp bright and early Monday morning the number of guys I would see lined up from Geneso/Groveland to Alfred marching from the road and cars into the woods screaming and yelling and the barrage of guns heard as they marched towards the wood line was a bit crazy There was one field in general not all that far from the new salt mind that comes to mind...it was every year until I started spending the night at camp......back then it wasn't an army of orange but mostly blk and red with some orange...Before yotes were prevalent putting down a rancid smelling deer the last week of gun or the ML week happened often 1-2 a year...to me that is often for that sort of thing..... here at the house we had a period of 6 years that I had to dispatch a deer every year...and my neighbor would call wild mad about having to do the same..they don't doe hunt....all due to drives three different groups would do them...but now the land has been locked up so only one groups still does it every year...

If you are talking that field on the right heading into Geneseo form the salt piles,   I see drives there about every time im down there. I have had deer run from that side in front of me and cross over towards the collage! They move some deer!

We started out with the traditional kind of deer drives. You know the whistling, shouting, making as much noise as possible. Those drives always produced shots at deer flying by and lead flying in every direction and once in a while enough lead would land in a deer that it would finally have to fall down .....lol. After a couple of those, I began to decline the invites on a regular basis. Our drives began to take on a bit of finesse and were designed to convince the deer that they were outsmarting us. They would move along at a much slower sneaky pace, and the running shots were avoided. It was basically some people carefully still hunting very slowly toward some standers. The whole thing was brought down several levels so that a bit more control was achieved. Safety rules were developed and followed. And then I started drifting away from even these kinds of events and began once in a awhile participating in "one still-hunter/one stander" kinds of pushes.

Now, with this attitude favoring individual achievement rather than turning my deer hunting into a "team" sport, I rarely get involved in even that anymore. I don't have anything against any of these kinds of drives, they just simply are not my thing anymore. In fact, later in the seasons when the deer go into their invisible mode, I am happy to hear those guys whooping and hollering. It lets me know that someone is out there kicking those critters in the butt and getting them on their feet. It sure beats a woods full of hunters snoozing at the base of a tree while the deer are in their hide-outs snoozing in their beds. 

I shot quite a few deer with a plain bead also.  When I started deer hunting it was the EXCEPTION rather than the rule to have rifle type sights on a shotgun. Ithaca Deerslayers were cutting edge technology in those days, but many guys were still using thier bead sights on thier shotguns.  An old fellow I knew ( long since dead)  used a 16 gauge Win Model 12 with a plain bead.  He claimed that at 50 yards he could blow a hole in a hummingbird as big as your fist.

I probably hunted 2 or 3 years before I ever saw anyone with a scope on his shotgun.

I don't think I've shot a single deer with an open sighted shotgun.  My first deer gun was an old Ithaca Deerslayer that I saved up for then found a cheap used Leupold 2x EER (or whatever they called it then) that mounted on the barrel with the dovetail mounts.  That would have been around 1980 IIRC.  I had used open sights for a couple years I think but didn't kill anything........  All the old guys had been using scopes for a number of years and seemed to kill plenty of deer.

It didn't take me long to figure out that a single beaded gun or even rifled sights were going to be inferior, in my mind to a scope. 

I know peep sighted guns can be pretty darn accurate also but never interested me.  I like glass.........!!

• Like 1

I've used plain beads on Win M37 and Eastern Arms single barrels,  Rem 11-48 auto and Rem M17 Pump,   2 Ithaca Deerslayers with open sights, two Rem 870s  with smoothbore slug barrels and open sights, a Rem 870 Skeet gun with double beads and a Rem 1100 Skeet gun with double beads.

Of all those, I liked the 1100 skeet the best and killed the most deer with it.

I have used a tang mounted peep sight on my TC Hawken for about 20 years now and like it very much...Fast, accurate  and easy to shoot offhand. I've killed a bunch of deer and my one and only bull elk, a 6x6, with it. When I installed the tang sight I drilled out the aperture to about 1/8" so that it sights well in low light.

I have killed one deer with my M1 Garand with issue peep sights.  I like the battle sights on the M1 in good light, but the peep is hard for me to see through under low light conditions.

All that said, I also  prefer glass. In my opinion, scopes make it easier to make moving shots than open sights, due to the single point of aim.  Since I started using glass I shoot far fewer bullets and kill more deer.

Four seasons...back then there were a couple of fields in that general area were really big drives with lots of guys were done...It's been a long time since I've been in that area ...surprised there is still enough "openness" that they are still being done...

Edited by growalot

Hunted .243 savage with 3x9 scope all my teens and twenties in PA...often had difficulty locating vitals on close range deer even in the 3x.

Moved to NY 6 yrs ago and all 10 of my gun harvests are smooth bore improved cylinder sluggers with a fiber optic single bead...I'm dead on to 80 yds...enough for me I don't take running shots tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager

Didn't see a single clean kill.  IMHO, not Sportsmanlike at all.

Guys like you make me giggle.....no clean kills....Really?  First deer double lunged at 30 yards with a 12 gage slug...clean kill....I did hit the second deer in the spine...Oops....Deer 3 and 4 dropped in their tracks....both clean kills. You claim to be a hunter and this is your review of the video?... You can call yourself a hunter but you are not a fellow hunter. You're a self righteous pompous ass.

• Like 3

Hey, speaking of "wack 'em and stack 'em" philosophy, I see old Teddy Nugent is getting ready to start a new season. No that has nothing to do with the topic, but I thought it might be a nice change of pace. After 23 pages, this thread is getting a bit redundant and stale.

• Like 1

Guys like you make me giggle.....no clean kills....Really?  First deer double lunged at 30 yards with a 12 gage slug...clean kill....I did hit the second deer in the spine...Oops....Deer 3 and 4 dropped in their tracks....both clean kills. You claim to be a hunter and this is your review of the video?... You can call yourself a hunter but you are not a fellow hunter. You're a self righteous pompous ass.

It doesn't make me giggle... but what makes me scratch my head and question is when someone posts a video like that all over the internet and then calls someone a "self righteous pompous ass". 

The fact that you were shooting at a second and third deer before the first deer even stopped running away from you was enough to make my opinion unsupportive. Just because a deer dropped, doesn't mean it's finished and clearly it got up and started running away from you as you focused on trying to get your four in 9 seconds...  

A good many of your videos are about self promotion focused on how many deer you can shoot in so many seconds... we get it, it's what gets you off and notoriety. Good for you. Just don't expect everyone to like it. "Smoke em if you got em"... bla bla 

• Like 2

It doesn't make me giggle... but what makes me scratch my head and question is when someone posts a video like that all over the internet and then calls someone a "self righteous pompous ass".

The fact that you were shooting at a second and third deer before the first deer even stopped running away from you was enough to make my opinion unsupportive. Just because a deer dropped, doesn't mean it's finished and clearly it got up and started running away from you as you focused on trying to get your four in 9 seconds...

A good many of your videos are about self promotion focused on how many deer you can shoot in so many seconds... we get it, it's what gets you off and notoriety. Good for you. Just don't expect everyone to like it. "Smoke em if you got em"... bla bla

Takes practice, discipline, and confidence to pull off those shots.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1