4 deer in 9 seconds

Uncle Nicky

I just talked to a wildlife biologist about the new case of CWD in PA/MD border. She said it is once again coming from deer farms in the area.

Yeah im sure she did.  I guess she said a farm doe had mad sex with the little spike buck before he ran out in the highway and got blasted. Whatever! Maryland never has had a deer farm and they have cwd for years!!  

Ongoing surveillance detects disease in highway-killed deer from Bedford County. 

A white-tailed deer that was killed by a vehicle in Bedford County this fall has tested positive for chronic wasting disease (CWD). 

The deer, a 1 ½–year-old buck, was struck on Interstate 99 in November and sent for testing as part of Pennsylvania’s ongoing effort to monitor the prevalence and spread of CWD, which is fatal to members of the deer family, but is not known to be transmitted to humans.

Test results confirming the buck was CWD positive were returned Dec. 24.

“It’s not as if we hope to find CWD positives as we continue our ongoing surveillance,” Game Commission Executive Director Carl G. Roe said. “But the fact is that each test result that comes back – positive or negative – gives us a clearer picture of how prevalent the disease is, and monitoring for CWD is an important part of our efforts to manage its spread.” 

This positive test is unlikely to have much impact on hunters, but it serves as a reminder that CWD has been found in southcentral Pennsylvania. The Game Commission already has established perimeters around the sites where CWD was detected previously, and within the boundaries of these Disease Management Areas (DMAs), special rules apply to hunters and residents. 

There are two DMAs in Pennsylvania, which are intended in part to contain and slow the spread of CWD. The buck that tested positive Dec. 24 was killed within what is known as DMA 2, a 900-square-mile area that includes parts of Bedford, Blair, Cambria and Huntingdon counties. More precisely, the site where the buck was killed is between two sites where CWD was detected last year, so this new positive shouldn’t change the shape or size of the DMA. 

This is the first case of CWD detected in Pennsylvania this year, but not all of the samples collected this year have been tested. The Game Commission targeted collecting and testing 1,000 samples within in each DMA, as well as 3,000 samples from additional deer statewide.

CWD was first detected in Pennsylvania in 2012 at a captive facility in Adams County. Subsequently, three free-ranging deer harvested by hunters during the 2012 season – two deer in Blair County and one in Bedford County – tested positive for CWD.

CWD is not a new disease, and other states have decades of experience dealing with CWD in the wild.

CWD is spread from deer to deer through direct and indirect contact. 

The disease attacks the brains of infected deer, elk and moose, and will eventually result in the death of the infected animal. There is no live test for CWD and no known cure. There also is no evidence CWD can be transmitted to humans, however, it is recommended the meat of infected animals not be consumed.

For more information on CWD, the rules applying within DMAs or what hunters can do to have harvested deer tested for CWD, visit the Game Commission’s website, www.pgc.state.pa.us. Information can be found by clicking on the button titled “CWD Information” near the top of the homepage. 

Further results from this year’s CWD testing will be reported at a later date.

Late-season deer hunting is now underway statewide and, in some parts of the state, deer hunting is open through the last Saturday in January. For properly licensed hunters, Roe said, that means there’s still time to get out and enjoy deer hunting this year. 

“That’s a point that shouldn’t be lost,” Roe said. “While we will continue to monitor for CWD and keep a watchful eye on test results, the simple fact CWD has been detected in Pennsylvania shouldn’t keep anybody from enjoying deer hunting, or venison from healthy deer, as they always have.

“And with the better part of two hunting seasons elapsed since CWD was first detected in Pennsylvania, it seems clear the Keystone State’s hunters understand that,” he said

typical wny anyone disagrees they are a dope or a fool or whatever.  Your moderator title allows you to call others names and get away with it.  Then threaten to give them a time out. But it is well known than when someone does not have a point to argue they attack.

Blah blah blah.

I said you were coming off like a dope because you are throwing your typical lame accusations out there with nothing to back them up. Calling people fans of the guy, this that and the other. I didnt say you were a dope. I actually think you are a pretty intelligent guy, and tossing out false accusations, etc is something I thought you would be above. Apparently Im wrong on that notion.

I see you are still doing it though. I have never threatened to give anyone a time out because I disagreed with them. Back up your accusation.

Yeah im sure she did.  I guess she said a farm doe had mad sex with the little spike buck before he ran out in the highway and got blasted. Whatever! Maryland never has had a deer farm and they have cwd for years!!  

Ongoing surveillance detects disease in highway-killed deer from Bedford County. 

A white-tailed deer that was killed by a vehicle in Bedford County this fall has tested positive for chronic wasting disease (CWD). 

The deer, a 1 ½–year-old buck, was struck on Interstate 99 in November and sent for testing as part of Pennsylvania’s ongoing effort to monitor the prevalence and spread of CWD, which is fatal to members of the deer family, but is not known to be transmitted to humans.

Test results confirming the buck was CWD positive were returned Dec. 24.

“It’s not as if we hope to find CWD positives as we continue our ongoing surveillance,” Game Commission Executive Director Carl G. Roe said. “But the fact is that each test result that comes back – positive or negative – gives us a clearer picture of how prevalent the disease is, and monitoring for CWD is an important part of our efforts to manage its spread.” 

This positive test is unlikely to have much impact on hunters, but it serves as a reminder that CWD has been found in southcentral Pennsylvania. The Game Commission already has established perimeters around the sites where CWD was detected previously, and within the boundaries of these Disease Management Areas (DMAs), special rules apply to hunters and residents. 

There are two DMAs in Pennsylvania, which are intended in part to contain and slow the spread of CWD. The buck that tested positive Dec. 24 was killed within what is known as DMA 2, a 900-square-mile area that includes parts of Bedford, Blair, Cambria and Huntingdon counties. More precisely, the site where the buck was killed is between two sites where CWD was detected last year, so this new positive shouldn’t change the shape or size of the DMA. 

This is the first case of CWD detected in Pennsylvania this year, but not all of the samples collected this year have been tested. The Game Commission targeted collecting and testing 1,000 samples within in each DMA, as well as 3,000 samples from additional deer statewide.

CWD was first detected in Pennsylvania in 2012 at a captive facility in Adams County. Subsequently, three free-ranging deer harvested by hunters during the 2012 season – two deer in Blair County and one in Bedford County – tested positive for CWD.

CWD is not a new disease, and other states have decades of experience dealing with CWD in the wild.

CWD is spread from deer to deer through direct and indirect contact. 

The disease attacks the brains of infected deer, elk and moose, and will eventually result in the death of the infected animal. There is no live test for CWD and no known cure. There also is no evidence CWD can be transmitted to humans, however, it is recommended the meat of infected animals not be consumed.

For more information on CWD, the rules applying within DMAs or what hunters can do to have harvested deer tested for CWD, visit the Game Commission’s website, www.pgc.state.pa.us. Information can be found by clicking on the button titled “CWD Information” near the top of the homepage. 

Further results from this year’s CWD testing will be reported at a later date.

Late-season deer hunting is now underway statewide and, in some parts of the state, deer hunting is open through the last Saturday in January. For properly licensed hunters, Roe said, that means there’s still time to get out and enjoy deer hunting this year. 

“That’s a point that shouldn’t be lost,” Roe said. “While we will continue to monitor for CWD and keep a watchful eye on test results, the simple fact CWD has been detected in Pennsylvania shouldn’t keep anybody from enjoying deer hunting, or venison from healthy deer, as they always have.

“And with the better part of two hunting seasons elapsed since CWD was first detected in Pennsylvania, it seems clear the Keystone State’s hunters understand that,” he said

Look 4SW I believe you have a deer farm but this is what she said. They took the head off the doe we shot on Monday for CWD testing. I said yea wasn't there a conformed case reported not too long ago in PA? She says yes and the problem originated in a deer farm. So I'll take her word that this was the cause and has been the cause in past reports in other states. I guess it sucks for you but if your going about things the correct way on your farm no problems, right??

Look 4SW I believe you have a deer farm but this is what she said. They took the head off the doe we shot on Monday for CWD testing. I said yea wasn't there a conformed case reported not too long ago in PA? She says yes and the problem originated in a deer farm. So I'll take her word that this was the cause and has been the cause in past reports in other states. I guess it sucks for you but if your going about things the correct way on your farm no problems, right??

Thats fine. You can take the word of any dec officer in any state thats main agenda is to be rid of high fence hunting and their only weapon is cwd. But as you saw the truth was it was a road kill deer, not a farm deer and it was close to where the other positives in the state of Pa was found that just happens to be close to a state( maryland) that has had cwd for years and years and as you hear by this post a hunter can kill like 13 deer each in that state( CWD gunna kill them all huh) and there has never been a deer farm ever in that state.  But no i have no doubt or problem with you that a dec officer would lie to ya!   

Thats fine. You can take the word of any dec officer in any state thats main agenda is to be rid of high fence hunting and their only weapon is cwd. But as you saw the truth was it was a road kill deer, not a farm deer and it was close to where the other positives in the state of Pa was found that just happens to be close to a state( maryland) that has had cwd for years and years and as you hear by this post a hunter can kill like 13 deer each in that state( CWD gunna kill them all huh) and there has never been a deer farm ever in that state.  But no i have no doubt or problem with you that a dec officer would lie to ya!   

Just to be correct it was a Biologist not an officer. She didn't have a gun and was very cute!!

I'm sure DEC has some agenda and would make stuff up to say CW Disease comes from farm raised deer in order to shut them all down.............much like a person who has a deer farm would say anything to disprove that they have anything to do with it.

Thats where the problem lays...Nobody really knows but i sure cant wait for the new blood test to come through to really put it all to bed. Then every deer behind fence is tested as fawns. givin a clean bill of health and released. Then the states can pay the farmers when their deer give farm deer cwd.  Wont that be a hoot!! lol

Ok...Now back to killin all these deer so fast!  No Hijacking!

I think I remember that tattoo. Was it the one that said "Place beer here"

If I had known you were peeping my tramp stamp I would have revealed the whole tatoo. It say's

"Place Beer Here"

"At your own risk of possible gas valve failure"

Damn lookielou's like you make me feel dirty at the beach in my "speedont"

Can I come? I obviously need the practice...

These are the comments and attitude that piss people off. You obviously have some need to impress and I'm not sure why. I don't think many are impressed. What you did was legal... The boasting and video posting makes it come across that you're in this for killing and not the challenge, alone time with nature, venison etc. that drive most of us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk