Quaker Creek - Shared Deer Meat

heavuser

Today I found out that this particular butcher uses communal deer meat when they give you ground deer with your other cuts of meet. An employee there told me anything that is ground is communal meat, all other cuts are supposed to be from your deer.

Do any of you know a decent butcher that will provide you with only meat from YOUR deer?

1 minute ago, heavuser said:

Today I found out that this particular butcher uses communal deer meat when they give you ground deer with your other cuts of meet. An employee there told me anything that is ground is communal meat, all other cuts are supposed to be from your deer.

Do any of you know a decent butcher that will provide you with only meat from YOUR deer?

I think @Bionic uses them. Maybe he knows more?

• Like 1

Desertos is the only other option around here and they do say you get your own deer.

Quaker creek is a superior operation though. I dropped my brothers bear off yesterday.  Also desortos doesn't do jerky.

Hopefully you snagged some pierogies at quaker creek they are the best! 

• Like 1

In 2019, I used Quaker Creek per @Bionic suggestion for venison hot dogs, pepperoni, and sausage. My deer was alfready butchered elsewhere and i simply brought them boneless chunk meat which was weighed in front of me, etc. Everything came out great. But I didn't use them as butcher.

Last year I used SmokeHaus in Dutchess county for snack stix and hot dogs. similiar deal, brought them frozen venison in January that was already butchered. Everything came out great also.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

Desertos is the only other option around here and they do say you get your own deer.

Quaker creek is a superior operation though. I dropped my brothers bear off yesterday.  Also desortos doesn't do jerky.

Hopefully you snagged some pierogies at quaker creek they are the best! 

Awesome, good to know.

Thanks everyone. I have nothing against quaker creek, they are freaken awesome and they make some of the best sausages I have ever had. I'm thinking I may just buy my own grinder and do it myself next year. 

• Like 6

Awesome, good to know.

Thanks everyone. I have nothing against quaker creek, they are freaken awesome and they make some of the best sausages I have ever had. I'm thinking I may just buy my own grinder and do it myself next year. 

That's the only way you will know for sure!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, heavuser said:

Awesome, good to know.

Look for an old fridge too, that way you can properly age your meat to get past rigor mortis, if it is too warm out to properly hang for that long.  A 2.5 year old deer should hang about a week at 33-43 F to get past that.  Older ones benefit from a little longer and you can get by with a bit less with younger ones. 

Most hunters don’t have an issue eating tough venison, but wives, girlfriends and kids often do.  Even grind can be tough if the deer was not properly aged. My venison is so tender (even from 3.5 yr old plus deer) that my wife and kids beg me to spend more time hunting.   

There’s nothing too tricky about butchering your own.  Temperature control in these days of “global warming” is what folks seem to struggle the most with. I don’t know why, since I can’t ever remember not seeing used fridges in the free section of Craigslist.

This old non-frost free GE is from the 1950’s but still comes on and works like a champ whenever I plug it in:

C029B0BA-F374-47FB-81DA-09529ED356FE.thumb.jpeg.d0e97902d3268df9b3ab12494ec8f29f.jpeg

The temperature outside was in the lower 80’s on the day I killed that doe.  I cranked the ac in the insulated garage down to 65, (4) days later, when I took her out processed.

I would have let her hang in there a little longer, but I had to free up the fridge, in case I needed it for another the next day.  I ground most of her, and that burger has been plenty tender.  The real test will be when we try some of the backstrap.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's one of the reasons we stopped using a butcher.. never trusted we were getting our own deer.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 hours ago, crappyice said:

Hmmm...why?

It just seems like you would have to charge double to make a profit,between gas and drive times . I could understand paying more for convenience.  You could end up spending a boat load on gas if you have to bounce all over.

• Like 1

It just seems like you would have to charge double to make a profit,between gas and drive times . I could understand paying more for convenience.  You could end up spending a boat load on gas if you have to bounce all over.

I bet a "food truck" mentality could make that work. Post where you will be located (where you know there is a need-in 3S there is a big need especially with all the city hunters and very few butchers) on some social media and they still come to you. If they want door to door service they need to pay the premium- many will I bet for the convenience considering how lazy "we" are these days.

• Like 4

My friend used the butcher truck last year. I forget the name of the business but he lives in Amherst so it’s probably the same guy you saw.

Prices where higher than any other butcher but not high enough to turn you off from doing it if your looking for convenience which he was at the time.

He was happy with the service.

• Like 2

I bet a "food truck" mentality could make that work. Post where you will be located (where you know there is a need-in 3S there is a big need especially with all the city hunters and very few butchers) on some social media and they still come to you. If they want door to door service they need to pay the premium- many will I bet for the convenience considering how lazy "we" are these days.

If you posted up on mid Westchester, you could charge $200-$300 easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would absolutely pay extra for someone to come to me and then deliver the finished cuts

12 minutes ago, Marion said:
10 hours ago, crappyice said:

I would absolutely pay extra for someone to come to me and then deliver the finished cuts

Is that how it works or do they finish it on site and then leave?

My friend used the butcher truck last year. I forget the name of the business but he lives in Amherst so it’s probably the same guy you saw.

Prices where higher than any other butcher but not high enough to turn you off from doing it if your looking for convenience which he was at the time.

He was happy with the service.

Our friend shot a real nice buck last year and was right around this time of the year and the place they use in West valley was closed. The guy came to her house.....hoisted it up and got to work. He hangs the deer from a hoist he hooks up to the receiver on his truck....makes all the big cuts....then breaks down the different cuts on the stainless steal tables he has inside the enclosed trailer. He doesn't vacuum pac....and doesn't take time getting all the possible meat off the deer. He does a real basic job.....but in a pinch he gets the job done. He leaves the carcas for you to dispose of as well......with a cape job he was north of 200.00
Another buddy shot one late season last year and he met the guy at someone's house.....so that was a profitable day for the butcher not having to travel anywhere.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I only use a butcher than has the ability to hang and age before butchering...    I always chuckle when people say "it was great i had my deer back in 24 hours"...    There is getting the meat off of the bone and wrapping and then there is real butchering...  There is a very big difference between the 2...  

• Like 3

It amazes me that there are hunters out there who have hunted for years and never butchered a deer themselves.  From the sounds of it some wouldn't even know where to start.  The only way you will ever know if the deer you are eating is the one that you put down is if you butcher it yourself.  The drop off deer processors can claim that you are getting back your own deer all they want.  One really has no way of proving if they are telling the truth or not.

• Like 2

Hot dogs are a PIA to make unless you have time. But grinding and making fresh sausage is stupid easy and doesn’t require a huge investment. Even if you don’t case, and just make patties to cook. 

Had a small local guy who would hang and you’d get your own deer back. I only used him once when I was busy with a new job. But he helped me out with butchering my first pigs so I had a look behind the scenes and he was honest.