New anti-gun ad

crappyice

9 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

They count every gun death 18 and under. I think gang shootings are the leader. Swimming pools are more dangerous than a gun in the house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m pretty sure they include 19 year olds too… you know, “kids”.  

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

They count every gun death 18 and under. I think gang shootings are the leader. Swimming pools are more dangerous than a gun in the house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Been saying that myself for years ,and consider that in large areas of the country pools are closed for longer periods then they’re open , and the gun is there 24/7/365 .

We should have no issue with locking guns up in houses with minors. This isn't infringing on your freedoms, it's just the right thing to do. 

Not disagreeing BUT portraying guns as a living breathing man eating animal...come on man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Belo said:

We should have no issue with locking guns up in houses with minors. This isn't infringing on your freedoms, it's just the right thing to do. 

I saw that commercial for the first time last night during the Mets game.  If my kids are playing at a friend's house, i'd want to know if there were unsecured weapons or drugs or even dangerous pets (like tigers) in the house.  i think it's the line about guns being the number one killer of children that most won't like.

2 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Not disagreeing BUT portraying guns as a living breathing man eating animal...come on man.

I think the point is that they're referring to unsecured guns being around children.  Kids find things and are curious.

I think we can all agree that guns should be properly secured, and that we want our children safe. That's just being a responsible adult. 

The reason I don't like this ad is because it's purpose is to scare people into thinking that guns pose a threat to their kids. A gun on it's own is no more or less dangerous than a hammer. It's just a tool at the disposal of it's user. But if people are scared and think that guns mean certain doom to their children, that message will be in their thoughts come election time.

A more accurate ad would be pitching that people with mental health issues are a leading cause of these issues in America.

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

IDK about you but from a very young age I was taught to respect a firearm and taught firearm safety. I was never made to feel afraid of them, but to understand that yeah, a loaded gun in the hands of a 6 year old might as well be a tiger.

The only issue I have with this ad is how they portray their stats on leading cause of death. But if they use the analogy of a tiger in the house as similar to that as a loaded pistol in somebodies sock drawer and that moves the needle for some? why not?

If someone's not smart enough to keep loaded guns away from kids, I don't think a TV commercial is going to help. 

Some would say it doesn't hurt either... but in a world where there is already a narrative being pushed that "all guns are bad", I disagree. 

The same goes for "safe storage" laws. 

Edited by johnplav
  • Like 3

does it distinguish by homicide and suicide? Anti-gun people always love to include suicide in their numbers. Like yeah guns the easy way out so they take it if they can, but if they want to end their life, they'll find a way. Problem is, cause of death is never suicide, it's overdose, jumping, gun etc. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

does it distinguish by homicide and suicide? Anti-gun people always love to include suicide in their numbers. Like yeah guns the easy way out so they take it if they can, but if they want to end their life, they'll find a way. Problem is, cause of death is never suicide, it's overdose, jumping, gun etc. 

its a great way to push a narrative.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Same study showed that black "children" were 4X more likely to die in firearms related incidents than white "children". Firearms are not the leading cause of death for white children.

When my first child was born in 1973 my wife was 20 years old- the state of Hawaii considered that a "teen age pregnancy". WTF

1 hour ago, left field said:

Ages 1-19… and 30% are suicide.  Cars are getting safer and medicine is improving.  We won’t get into how Covid lockdowns limited car travel and increased depression.  We all agree kids killed by guns are sad, but that data was presented with a goal.   

Edited by johnplav

Didnt watch the ad , but on a side note I’m absolutely amazed kids are not accidentally shooting each other everyday in Rochester . 

The most violent city in NYS and second in the country per capita for murders , they take guns off criminals of all ages daily , they’re turned loose and arrested multiple more times again  with guns . Safe storage or learning gun safety from dad is not a thing there , hell they don’t even carry in a holster, it’s all Mexican carry . Yet few accidents it’s odd .

You guys are applying specifics that those stats aren't meant to address and arguing some really weird points. If someone drives their car off a bridge to kill themselves it is both a suicide and automobile death. That is, if you're measuring both. If you're just measuring cause of death, it's automobile. 

The same criteria that cars and trauma care are improving can be applied to guns. Gun deaths going down was oft touted by the gun lobby, but that just meant trauma care was improving. 

I find this suicide argument very strange. Based on the one chart, it looks like gun deaths and overdoses rose at the same time and in the same rate, so probably there were a good number of teen suicides in that time. So what? Are they somehow not real gun deaths? Do they not apply? I don't even know what that means.

The sobering chart is the international one that the US leads the world in kid gun deaths whether that is suicide, homicide or accident. That's the one that should be concerning.

The ad is silly. But the stats seem to show that guns are now the number one killer of kids. What we do with that as responsible gun owners is the question. I've said this before but if we don't figure this out, someone will figure it out for us and I don't think we'll like the solution.

---

Just took another look at the ad. Aside from the last line, it's point is don't be afraid to ask if someone's guns are picked up before you let your kids play there. Hardly controversial but maybe necessary when you consider how many people keep their guns unlocked in easy reach. 

I was at someone's house a few years ago and we were in his shed tying flies. He had to go into the house but before he left he said, "By the way, there's a loaded gun in the cabinet over there." 

After he left, I opened the door and sure enough, a loaded handgun sat on a shelf. Why the hell he felt it necessary to announce that is beyond me. Why he kept a loaded gun in an unlocked drawer in an unlocked garden shed is just insane. 

I doubt he's alone.

Edited by left field
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, johnplav said:

If someone's not smart enough to keep loaded guns away from kids, I don't think a TV commercial is going to help. 

Some would say it doesn't hurt either... but in a world where there is already a narrative being pushed that "all guns are bad", I disagree. 

The same goes for "safe storage" laws. 

I agree- this type of ad won't turn an irresponsible person into a responsible one.  But, that doesn't seem to be the point of the ad.  It's trying to tell parents to ask to make sure that there aren't unsecured firearms in the homes of their kids' friends when their kids are playing there.  Doesn't seem any different to me than asking if someone will be supervising the kids if they'll be in the pool.  I also agree that the last line in the ad is debatable.  

16 hours ago, Nomad said:

Didnt watch the ad , but on a side note I’m absolutely amazed kids are not accidentally shooting each other everyday in Rochester . 

The most violent city in NYS and second in the country per capita for murders , they take guns off criminals of all ages daily , they’re turned loose and arrested multiple more times again  with guns . Safe storage or learning gun safety from dad is not a thing there , hell they don’t even carry in a holster, it’s all Mexican carry . Yet few accidents it’s odd .

I mean it's not every day but it's pretty close. News 10 just had an interview from a mom whos 3 year old was shot. Those numbers, btw are included in this data.