WNY Bowhunter's 2014 Shed Journal:

WNY Bowhunter

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up #6 this afternoon out of a harvested beanfield. Just an awesome shed with it's huge bladed browtine and heavy mass. No luck matching it up yet.  There is a big section of picked corn next to where it was laying...I hate the thought but I may have to walk it and see if the other side it hiding in it. I hate shed hunting in corn!!!

ATL:

0309141436.jpg

0309141437.jpg

0309141711.jpg

0309141712.jpg

Unbelievably, shed #2 from earlier in this thread was last year's antler from the same deer. The two were found about 200-250 yds apart in the same field.  He added mass and length in the browtine but that's about it...

0309141804b.jpg

0309141805.jpg

• Like 3

Nice find! Where the heck do you live not to have any snow? Theres still a bunch at my house.

I'm in NE Steuben County. Most of the woods here still have snow but a lot of fields are melted off.  This particular area is a big open expanse of muckland...the dark soil sucks in the heat and helps to melt off the snow quicker.

I was told that deer hanging onto their antlers this long is a sign of GOOD feed. If it were the other way around, they would shed them early to conserve the protein and minerals.

No proteins or minerals go into the antler after they shed velvet. Once they shed they start using the proteins again to heal and rebuild the pedical which will hold new antler growth. Like was already mentioned, MOST deer will shed within the same few day span every year barring something way out of the ordinary. I say most because there are always exceptions to the rule.

• 2 weeks later...