strange and scariest things while hunting or fishing NY

noodle one

Scariest thing I ever exprienced was a year or two ago on Lake George ice fishing. MY buddy was turning my wheeler around about 20 ft from shore, and the lake drops off to over 100 ft of water where he was. I noticed a regular crack it the ice that came from shore looped around and went back to shore (a circle crack with a 30 foot radius). He was within that circle of cracked ice. As he was about cross the crack back onto safe ice the part he was on dropped about 4 inches. I thought for sure it was game over.

I had a turkey "buzz the tower" Maverick and Goose style.  The tower, mind you, was my head.  So much for scent control in the woods when, rather than soil myself, I just let some gas go. 

This season I had a good scare when I was climbing a tree that was too smooth, too hard and too icy for a climber and took a slide about 5 feet down the trunk.  At least my girlish scream sounded like a doe bleet.

• Like 4

4 years ago my uncle and I went to hunt a patch of woods that we knew held turkeys.  We walked in together way before light.  I sat on the field with my back to the woods and he cut through the woods to the opposite side so we had them covered.  As it started to get lighter out and birds started gobbling in the distance I heard footsteps behind me.  Figuring it was either my uncle coming to tell me "lets move" or someone else sneaking in I leaned to look around the tree and see who it was.  I almost crapped when 30 yards away I see a blackbear coming down the farmers road that links his 2 fields.  I freeze not knowing what to do.  Remembering my grandfather always said aim for the face if you have to shoot a bear in during turkey season its the best you can do.  I tightened my grip on my 1100 and hoped if needed the 3in #4 Remingtons would persuade him to go the other way.  My luck he kept right on going down the road and across the field to another patch of woods.  The turkeys were not there so when my uncle met up with me we went down the road where the bear came from, after some birds we heard gobbling, and found a dead cow over the bank that he must have been feeding on.   Thankfully he was full....

3 years ago bow season I walked into my stand at dark.  I had on my dinky little light built into my hat that gives enough light for a few feet ahead.  I looked up for a second because I heard a noise and see 4 sets of eyes staring at me roughly 20 ish yards away.   Grabbed my bigger light and made out to what looked like yotes as they ran away after i made a girlish noise to spook them.  TP was used immediately after for a cleanup. 

I once saw Early hanging trail cams. !!!

Other than that I'd say the hot air ballon practicing touch and goes in a field just a bit past my turkey decoys.... You have no idea how much I wanted to touch a 3 inch 12ga round off to,see if it scared them enough to,fall out of the basket....

Then there was the time during deer season I was in the Cameron Hilton and I let this ugly chick hunter bring me back to my trailer ,

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 2

Strangest thing while fishing me and a buddy where fishing for musky off of the international bridge in buffalo it was very early in the morning we were down on the middle pier fishing when we looked up and seen a guy crossing the bridge coming from Canada into the us and he threw a body over the bridge the person was already dead they weren't moving we waited for the guy to get all the way across the bridge I ran and called the cops they did their search with the boats and helicopters and did t find anything so thy said we made it up and were gonna be in trouble and have to lay for the search a week later they found the body near strawberry island

Craziest thing while hunting would be the year I hunted a new piece of land on opening day when I was 18 I had the full orange suit on and some guy I didn't know took a couple of shots at who knows what and hit the tree I was leaning up against he hit only a few inches above my head I never hunted there again

I once saw Early hanging trail cams. !!!

Other than that I'd say the hot air ballon practicing touch and goes in a field just a bit past my turkey decoys.... You have no idea how much I wanted to touch a 3 inch 12ga round off to,see if it scared them enough to,fall out of the basket....

Then there was the time during deer season I was in the Cameron Hilton and I let this ugly chick hunter bring me back to my trailer ,

That wasn't me...It may have been Virgil...

I used to frequent a deer camp in Belfast every year. I saw alot of scary things in the Still Water Inn and the Legion. A couple of them followed me back to camp. We also used to play this game called Swamp Cow....use your imaginations....

The girls in Belfast are BEAUTY QUEENS compared to the ones in the Cameron Hilton.

Then there are the girls in Westfield, PA.

Remind me to tell you sometime about my TWIST PARTNER down in Westfield...Hehehe..

• Like 1

One night during deer season I picked up a " 1:00 AM Special"  at the Cameron Hilton, a bar in a cornfield near Cameron, NY.

The next morning I woke up in her trailer and got my first good look at her.

Scared me so bad I seriously considered adopting a gay lifestyle.

Fortunately, I got over it....

Don't forget to mention it ended up being a dude!! :D

Id have to say bow hunting a couple yrs ago I saw about a 1/2 doz turkeys chasing a fox out of the woods and down the edge of the field.

Or the time I went out on a big pond to hang with my buddies ice fishing for a few hrs. I was walking out and might right foot went thru the ice, i only went down about to my knee when i pulled it out. After sh&ting my pants I start walking again only to hear ice cracking. haven't been on the ice since!

One time while beaver trapping , I fell thru the ice right up to my neck.

I was attempting to set a 330 underwater when the ice gave way . I was scared that I was going to step in the trap as I struggled to get out of the water. It was a foolish move on my part as I saw the ice didn't look too safe , but I couldn't resist making the set . My friend who witnessed the incident said I looked like a penguin jumping out of the water...lol .

True story.  when I was about 20, I was in college and poor. As I have mentioned we had a camp back off the road in the big woods  I finished classes at noon on Tuesday for Thanksgiving week, and was off until Monday.  A buddy of mine and I left for camp.  We  took his truck and planned to stay until Sunday dark.  Kind of a last big hunt for the year.  Anyway Thursday night, he starts missing his girlfriend, or wanted left over turkey.  I am not sure which. He decided he is going home.  I rode with him, so either I stayed alone with no vehicle or went home. I chose to stay.  He left and I settled in for the night.  My family was coming on Friday, after the Thanksgiving festivities, so I was not stranded.  About 3AM, I wake up to headlights and voices in the yard.  the door was locked from the inside and they broke in.  It was a couple looking for a place to ummm rendezvous.  It scared the crap out of me.  They came in from the porch and into the main camp.  The camp was one large room with beds on one end and a curtain dividing it.  I had my 742 30-06 with me so I stuck the clip in it.  When I made my presence known, they took off.  They backed into a tree across the yard and tore a bunch of paint off the jeep they had.  The nerve wracking part was the rest of the night.  The camp was a half mile off the road on a one way path and the closest town was over 3 miles away.  I did not know if they would return with friends or what.  Of course you think the worst.  I sat up the rest of the night in the dark expecting them to return.  They did not.  At day break I walked to town called my family and the sheriff who came and investigated.  After that regardless of who was going, I always drove myself.  

• Like 2

I was turkey hunting in the fall in Delhi and came across a dead turkey about 6ft up in a tree wedged in a fork of a limb with it wings pinned back...must of tried to fly down and got wedged and died.. scariest thing was tracking a wounded bear in 2012 i shot. I can't go near the brush pile I was standing on top of with him looking up under me I can still see his eye looking at me thru the top....i still avoid that area completely.

True story.  when I was about 20, I was in college and poor. As I have mentioned we had a camp back off the road in the big woods  I finished classes at noon on Tuesday for Thanksgiving week, and was off until Monday.  A buddy of mine and I left for camp.  We  took his truck and planned to stay until Sunday dark.  Kind of a last big hunt for the year.  Anyway Thursday night, he starts missing his girlfriend, or wanted left over turkey.  I am not sure which. He decided he is going home.  I rode with him, so either I stayed alone with no vehicle or went home. I chose to stay.  He left and I settled in for the night.  My family was coming on Friday, after the Thanksgiving festivities, so I was not stranded.  About 3AM, I wake up to headlights and voices in the yard.  the door was locked from the inside and they broke in.  It was a couple looking for a place to ummm rendezvous.  It scared the crap out of me.  They came in from the porch and into the main camp.  The camp was one large room with beds on one end and a curtain dividing it.  I had my 742 30-06 with me so I stuck the clip in it.  When I made my presence known, they took off.  They backed into a tree across the yard and tore a bunch of paint off the jeep they had.  The nerve wracking part was the rest of the night.  The camp was a half mile off the road on a one way path and the closest town was over 3 miles away.  I did not know if they would return with friends or what.  Of course you think the worst.  I sat up the rest of the night in the dark expecting them to return.  They did not.  At day break I walked to town called my family and the sheriff who came and investigated.  After that regardless of who was going, I always drove myself.  

That could have went another way if you played your cards right :)

• Like 2

My first year hunting a buck busted out of the bush next to the trail making that grunt noise like it was hit and snapping ever branch in his escape.  He knew we were danger that's for sure!  Grouse can be scary but this noise and following commotion was from a 200 pound animal and you knew it.  I was just happy it was going away from us as we both took defensive postures.  This locomotive was not stopping for anything including any poor sapling or branches in his way and you heard his escape for over 100 yards, impressive to say the least.

I shot a squirrel out of a tree.  I starting walking towards it to pick it up.  I was less than 5 feet away when I heard leaves rustling.  A chipmunk comes flying in, drop kicks the dead squirrel, stares right at me and gives me a bark, and then runs off.

Another time I saw a couple committing adultery in the parking lot at a WMU.  He's in hunting clothes, she wasn't.  Her car was parked next to the truck while they went at it.  My guess is he told his wife he was going out "hunting" and they rendezvoused at that particular location.  Or they might be a committed couple that just like to role play or something.

Had a hot air balloon drift directly overhead of my position while bowhunting in 1978. The balloon drove a couple bucks right towards me....One buck stood broadside, looking up at the balloon while I drew back. I fired and missed. A strange experience. I do endorse hot air balloon driving deer...

• Like 4