strange and scariest things while hunting or fishing NY

noodle one

On a party boat early spring the first week of flounder season near one of the inlets. ( now you have to be a person that surfcasts in and around the inlets of Long Island to understand why this is scary.) I think Greaybeard can relate to this.One of the people hooks into something and it had to be big the rod was bent pretty good,one of the mates go over to help, the finally got it up and it was a pair of chest waders.The turned it upside down and out came a few eels.Was the person wearing them smart enough to get out of them or hmmm,we will never know.

Ok, so how would you like to be sitting in the middle of the Canadian wilderness almost 100 miles from the nearest sign of civilization, when all of a sudden an ear-splitting ferocious growling and snarling began from just outside the faint glow of the campfire? Also, suppose no one had a firearm and all of the hunters only had bows for defense? Imagine having no walls to get behind for protection other than the thin, flimsy walls of back-back tents. Well, that's what happened to the 4 of us on our 1988 Canadian moose hunt. The sound and circumstances were absolutely terrifying. The paralyzed feeling of doom, terror, and helplessness took over the camp. Pretty dire situation ....eh?

Well, maybe not really .... lol. While we were very strict about limiting excess weight and volume of our cargo, there was one smart-azz member of this hunting party (me) that had a little something extra rolled up in his sleeping bag. You see, I had this vision one night back at home when I engaged in a game of tug-of-war with our dog using an old towel. I was amazed at just how crazy-mad she sounded with her deep growling and snarling. The harder I pulled on the towel, the louder, crazier, meaner and wacked-out she sounded. She sounded like some crazed timberwolf with rabies. That's when it struck me that if I were to record that violent growling rampage and play it back in a camp-type of setting, the reactions might get a bit hilarious.

So, back at camp, as soon as it got dark, I pretended to head out into the darkness to relieve myself, and turned on the portable tape player that I had smuggled in. I had put a 15 minute leader of silence at the beginning of the tape so no one would connect my earlier trip out with the vicious sound that would be terrifying the camp later.

The results were better than I expected. Within seconds of the pandemonium beginning, everybody was diving for any sharp instrument that they could find to defend themselves. At that point, things got pretty chaotic until the hero of the group (me) volunteered to go out and chase off the unknown beast, armed only with my hunting knife. Ha-ha.... that should have been their first clue that something was not right. Finally at the end of my super dramatized stalk out into the darkness, I made a heroic dive onto the tape player and jumped back up holding the tape player, declaring that I had slain the beast.

Why they didn't throw me into the lake, I'm not sure. But eventually we all had a great laugh and a hunt adventure that none of us will ever forget.

• Like 5

I was bowhunting last year when I watched a red tailed hawk fly off a branch 40yds in front of me. I thought it was cool to watch, until he turned and flew right at me. I kept waiting for him to veer off but when he got to within 5ft or so I waived my arms and screamed out the old "oh sh*t" defense tactic.

My father was hunting with his buddy on private property. They had driven there truck in and parked. They met at the truck around noon after deer hunting for lunch. As they were eating in the truck something smashed into the truck shaking the whole thing. They both had no idea what was going on, then it happened again. This time they watched the 300-400lb bear back peddle and start running to ram the side door again. After the 3rd hit they drove up 50yds and stopped. Apparently the bears cubs had wandered up the tree next to the truck. The cubs wouldn't come down because the truck was there. Once they drove up and stopped they climbed down and the 4 bear took off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That could have went another way if you played your cards right :)

She had been there before since she made the statement she knew there were a lot of beds there.  So she was someone either myself or my cousin had there before.  After a while, I thought that I may have known who she was.  Of course years later, when I saw the lady she denied it.  All I know was at that time, I was not thinking of that even at 20.  The camp was about 25 minutes from college, so I may have been there too often and have away the location.  

• Like 1

I shot a squirrel out of a tree.  I starting walking towards it to pick it up.  I was less than 5 feet away when I heard leaves rustling.  A chipmunk comes flying in, drop kicks the dead squirrel, stares right at me and gives me a bark, and then runs off.

That is hilarious

In 8th grade a friend and i netted a bunch of suckers and threw them into  a mason jar for trapping bait. This was Spring time and we put the jar atop of the school near his house to ripen. Came fall we climbed back atop the school to retrieve our "bait". He picked up the jar, we peered in. A few  wormlike creatures  about 3-4" were slithering around the now grey matter. We both panicked, he dropped the jar, it broke sending the most disgusting smell you have ever smelled at us. I think I can still smell it and may drive heave at the thought.  Still to this day want to know what the heck those things moving were

In 8th grade a friend and i netted a bunch of suckers and threw them into  a mason jar for trapping bait. This was Spring time and we put the jar atop of the school near his house to ripen. Came fall we climbed back atop the school to retrieve our "bait". He picked up the jar, we peered in. A few  wormlike creatures  about 3-4" were slithering around the now grey matter. We both panicked, he dropped the jar, it broke sending the most disgusting smell you have ever smelled at us. I think I can still smell it and may drive heave at the thought.  Still to this day want to know what the heck those things moving were

Aliens. Never leave those kinds of things in high places that are exposed to the sky. And the worst part is that you broke the jar and set them free.

Another scary moment from 2 years ago.

Again, I was hiking for antlers in the deep snow, when I got lazy and decided to take a shortcut right up the gut of the creek instead of plowing my way through the timber.

The snow wasn't nearly as deep here, and the ice below had been solid to this point so I didn't pay it much attention. I got up to a deeper pool and decided to skirt the edge of it along the side of a log jam when I saw where the ice had changed color ahead.

Without warning, the bottom dropped out on me and I fell through up to my tits. My feet never hit bottom, and the only thing stopping me from going through completely was my backpack hung up on the edge of the hole I had just made.

I still don't know exactly how I managed to pull myself outta there, but once I got out and the frigid cold hit me, the mad dash was on to make it home before I froze in my tracks!

Of course I had to grab a few pics first, or it would just be an exagerated story if I survived,lol

DSC_0996.jpg

DSC_0995.jpg

• Like 1

Quite a few years ago I owned a '57 crestliner, I had to carry extra shear pins because the outboard was hard on them. One fine summer day north end of Cayuga lake past the railroad bridge I'm anchored off near the cattails trying to change one, leaning over the motor, had forgot to pin it up. So the motor drops and launches me off the back of the boat. 

So now I'm standing chest deep soaked hoping nobody saw that move, but I got the pin changed.

• Like 2

This happen back in the early 80's 3 of us were hunting ducks on a farm pond a long the Lake Ontario parkway. The duck blind was on the far side of the pond one of us shot a duck and it crashed in some trees and brush between the pond and the parkway. So it was my turn to hunt the bird down I went around to the where the bird went down and went in looking for it. As soon as I went in to the brush I could smell it that’s when I found the body of a woman. That ended the duck hunting for the day. Some one was dumping bodies along the parkway they never caught the guy. They had a suspect but he died before they prove it was him.

• Like 1

I just remembered this one. Back in the 70's when I was bow hunting I went up to my club in October. No one else came up so I was alone in the place. I got up at 4:30 Sat morning and got ready, put my bow out on the front porch, turned off the outside light and locked the door. Walked down and around to the front of the porch using my penlight to get my bow and something jumps out from under the porch and latches onto my leg. I'm trying to point the light and nock an arrow at the same time. Look down and its a neighbor's house cat that wants to play. It let go and then walked around trying to get me to pet it. After I calmed down, the rest of the walk in the dark wasn't good.

• 2 years later...

Some great stories out there, mine aren't to bad. Once while fishing in high school me and a friend fell through the ice at our local creek. We both went in up to our chests. I lost my fishing pole but he managed to hang onto his. We where out of the water about as fast as we went in. We both ran home to shower and warm up. We didn't dare tell either of our parents what had happened. 

Once while duck hunting a small pond next to a field on state land two guys and a dog start pheasant hunting and before we could get there attention they flush a bird and shoot twice right at us!!! luckly they where a good 75 yards away and the BB's fell down on us like hail would. We quickly got there attention after that so we wouldn't be shot at again. I hate state land. 

While hunting alone in deep in the woods of the Adirondacks it was snowing wet snow and freezing drizzle. I took shelter under a spruce tree that was only about 10 feet tall but pretty dense. I was tucked nicely under the tree for about 1/2 hours when all hell broke loose above me.

Unbenounced to me there had been an partridge hidden among the branches and it sat there until it became unnerved and fled. I about soiled myself as there were branches and snow flying about and the noise of the wings beating off of the branches coupled with the wind....there was some racket above my head as I attempted to flee myself. It was a few seconds until I composed myself enough to rationalize it was only a bird..... 

Edited by Salmon_Run
typo