Have the money, now I have to choose…

post-3319-13890652783242_thumb.jpgpost-3319-13890652932522_thumb.jpg

Just got home from the 4.5 hour drive round trip with the new model 70 .300 win mag. It was super clean for a used gun, not one ding or scratch on the stock. Bolt and action showed no wear. He said it was only shot 4 times, and I believe it. Gave me a box for ammo (16 left). Looking forward to doing some DIY modifications to it. Possibly upgrade the stock or try to glass bed the one I have and free float the barrel.

Plus the trigger breaks like glass, nice and light too. The trigger is what really sold me on it.

• Like 5

Good deal.. Be sure you shoot a few groups before you started "upgrading" it. It may shoot great just the way it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have a M70 in .280 Rem. It has a sweet trigger too, but I had to send it to a 'smith and have it adjusted to get it that way.

Good deal.. Be sure you shoot a few groups before you started "upgrading" it. It may great just the way it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If it is that new do this.

/www.winchesterguns.com/customerserviceqna/detail.asp?id=223hoot

Yeah I love my trigger and don't want to touch it. But the stock is a tight fit to the barrel. I'll be shooting a 3 round group, if it shoots under 1" at 100yards then I won't touch it. If it doesn't, I'll float the barrel, and see if that helps.

One thing after lots and lots of reading, I found out what what model it is... And it isn't a good find for me. Winchester made in the early 2000s ?(2001-2003)? An affordable version of the model 70, with a synthetic stock and a "blind magazine" aka no floor plate. This is what mine is, so I actually didn't really even get a deal at all, if not kind of was ripped off. BUT I'll eat it this time, and hope it still shoots good. The stock is the only downfall I can see in this "bargain" model 70, as it seems this is where they cut costs.

I wish the owner was more upfront with me, I asked what version of the model 70 it was, and he said he didn't know, when I got there after driving 2.5 hours, I was going to buy the damn thing no matter what for that price. Just a reminder to those who buy used, research, research, and when you think you are done, research some more.

Edited by Cusehunter

Yeah I love my trigger and don't want to touch it. But the stock is a tight fit to the barrel. I'll be shooting a 3 round group, if it shoots under 1" at 100yards then I won't touch it. If it doesn't, I'll float the barrel, and see if that helps. One thing after lots and lots of reading, I found out what what model it is... And it isn't a good find for me. Winchester made in the early 2000s ?(2001-2003)? An affordable version of the model 70, with a synthetic stock and a "blind magazine" aka no floor plate. This is what mine is, so I actually didn't really even get a deal at all, if not kind of was ripped off. BUT I'll eat it this time, and hope it still shoots good. The stock is the only downfall I can see in this "bargain" model 70, as it seems this is where they cut costs. I wish the owner was more upfront with me, I asked what version of the model 70 it was, and he said he didn't know, when I got there after driving 2.5 hours, I was going to buy the damn thing no matter what for that price. Just a reminder to those who buy used, research, research, and when you think you are done, research some more.

Lesson learned, at a price of course.

Buying used guns is like buying used cars, someone else's problem if you aren't well versed in mechanics.

Hope it's a shooter.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Yeah I love my trigger and don't want to touch it. But the stock is a tight fit to the barrel. I'll be shooting a 3 round group, if it shoots under 1" at 100yards then I won't touch it. If it doesn't, I'll float the barrel, and see if that helps. One thing after lots and lots of reading, I found out what what model it is... And it isn't a good find for me. Winchester made in the early 2000s ?(2001-2003)? An affordable version of the model 70, with a synthetic stock and a "blind magazine" aka no floor plate. This is what mine is, so I actually didn't really even get a deal at all, if not kind of was ripped off. BUT I'll eat it this time, and hope it still shoots good. The stock is the only downfall I can see in this "bargain" model 70, as it seems this is where they cut costs. I wish the owner was more upfront with me, I asked what version of the model 70 it was, and he said he didn't know, when I got there after driving 2.5 hours, I was going to buy the damn thing no matter what for that price. Just a reminder to those who buy used, research, research, and when you think you are done, research some more.

If its anything like my 300wby you should be happy. I believe mine is a knockoff also but i will tell ya,  Unless you are anal to perfection you should like it and there are very few animals alive that would not be knocked off their feet with that gun!  Plus you did get a good deal on the total package i believe!  Good luck with it.

Lesson learned, at a price of course.

Buying used guns is like buying used cars, someone else's problem if you aren't well versed in mechanics.

Hope it's a shooter.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I did lots of research before buying and every single model 70 I found was well over $400...

If I replace the stock and buy a floor plate adaptor, it will increase the value I believe.

I did lots of research before buying and every single model 70 I found was well over $400... If I replace the stock and buy a floor plate adaptor, it will increase the value I believe.

I also dont believe i have kicked the shells out the bottom more than twice. Just bolt the 3 shells out and go!   I had to vent the end of the barrel though. Man that thing would knock some teeth out!

• Like 1

I had my Ruger 77 .338 ported...It kicked a LITTLE less, but it also was a LOT louder.

One time while working up loads on the bench I took a break and took my earplugs out. Next time I squeezed one off, I forgot to put the plugs back in..

Scared hell out of me.!.For a couple of seconds I thought the rifled had exploded, until I realized what I had done.

A friend of mine and I lay side by side on a hill in Alaska one time and each shot a caribou. He was shooting a .270, I was shooting the ported .338.. I had plugs in..He didn't .. I overshot the 'bou the first shot and dropped it with the second. My buddy claims he couldn't hear anything out of his right ear for a week.

I had my Ruger 77 .338 ported...It kicked a LITTLE less, but it also was a LOT louder.

One time while working up loads on the bench I took a break and took my earplugs out. Next time I squeezed one off, I forgot to put the plugs back in..

Scared hell out of me.!.For a couple of seconds I thought the rifled had exploded, until I realized what I had done.

A friend of mine and I lay side by side on a hill in Alaska one time and each shot a caribou. He was shooting a .270, I was shooting the ported .338.. I had plugs in..He didn't .. I overshot the 'bou the first shot and dropped it with the second. My buddy claims he couldn't hear anything out of his right ear for a week.

This kind of says something. 270---338 and after all said and done a 500lbs plus animal dead.  I almost sold my 300wby just because it knocked me out and then because it hurt my ears to shoot it.  Those big cannons are not needed 99.9 percent of a normal hunters life.

I wish now i didnt buy so big but ear protection even while hunting has to be done with those big guns!

I wasn't using the .338 because I felt I needed it to kill a caribou. I was using it in case one of those hairy Volkswagons came around AFTER I shot the caribou. Actually I consider a .270 near optimum for caribou...I have killed most of mine ( plus a big Alaska bull moose) with my .280 and 140 grain bullets.

My decision to get a big thumper for wilderness hunts came after seeing several brown/grizzly bears. The ol' .280 just doesn't feel quite adequate when one of those bad boys goes ambling past.

As far as ear protection goes, the spot&stalk or sit& glass type hunting lends itself well to ear plug use. I even use them around home except when hunting in the thick stuff. I wear a pair around my neck and there is usually lots of time to plug them in before the shot.

I'm about half deaf already because of all the shooting I did in my youth when I was too young, dumb, and bulletproof to use ear protection. I don't need to get any worse, if I can avoid it.

Edited by Pygmy

Floating the BBL and bedding the action will help how well it shoots.I have taken factory Remy. plastic stocks and did it with them a lot cheaper then an H&S or Houge stock. I pillow bedded a few using aluminum sleves and epoxy.Brownells sells a number of good products to use.With a little work you will get it to shoot the way you want.

Tell me more about this pillow bedding?

You got a bed?

Then most folks got a pillow on top......the thing you stick your head on. LOL

I have a couple calibers with removable muzzle brakes....or as NY law has it "breaks".

Good for the range time and who notices recoil in the field when killing stuff?

• Like 1

I have a model 70  in 25-06. I love that gun... I picked it up for 400... pretty much had to pry it from the guys hands, but he needed the money. beautiful checkering and it is a tack driver. i would have prefered a larger caliber but the .25 is good enough for what i want. the only think i don't like about it is the thought of dinging it up out in the field.

Wally world sold some synthetic ones with a simmons scope. i was looking at one in .243WSSM about a month ago on gun broker.

Edited by BUCKANDAQUARTER

The 25-06 is one of my favorite calibers for deer and varmints. 115 grain nosler partitions and 4831 was a great combo. I had one in an encore and sold it. I will have a new one soon in an axis. I am currently using an axis in 7-08. The biggest deer i ever took fell to the 25. 198 8Point. He traveled 30 yards and piled up.

Sent from my LGL35G using Tapatalk 2

I'm already looking into getting a lever action gun too :P I just have the itch to buy everything I want, this could be bad on the bank account. I'm thinking about getting a 336 or similar in .35, and use it as my brush gun instead of my 870

Yes, very addicting. I caught the fever as well. Wife had to initiate an intervention. I was averaging a new one every 4 months. Put a nice dent into our bank account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1