Let’s talk about early northern zone muzz

Whitetailhobo

We have gone up to the Moose River in past years for ML. Always enjoyed the time in the woods...productivity...eh. 

Where are you paddling in to?

Due to poor planning, opening week end we are up to the 1000 Islands for a long week end fishing for the opener of ML, not a bad thing...but I have the rest of the week off following for hunting. I will be up to my camp on the Tug Hill for most of the duration. I am hoping to break in my flintlock this year.

• Like 2

I can’t wait.  I was a little worried that I was going to miss opening day morning, because I am going down to VA next week for work.  I managed to get that pushed up by a day today.  Now I can get back on my original schedule, of heading up north, mid-day Friday.  I am planning on staying up there, thru opening weekend of gun season, and driving home 9 days later. 

I might even get up there in time, to catch the last hour or so of crossbow season, on Friday October 14.  I am way more exited about ML though.  I know of a few nice bucks around up there this year.  That would be a nice bonus, but I’d be thankful for a doe and a few smallmouth bass.  

I will be hunting up on the NW corner of the park, on the border of WMU 6C & 6F.   I see that they are both open for antlerless early ML harvests again this year.  There seems to have been a big spike in deer numbers (bucks and does) around my spot up there, since I took out the dominant, and very territorial doe up there last fall.  

That is my favorite time of year up there.  At no other time, is the hunting and fishing as good, simultaneously.  Throw in some lingering late leaf color, and that might be what Heaven is like.  There is no place on earth that I would rather be, that’s for sure.    
BEDCE283-3D5C-4EC4-BFDD-33646ED1A3CA.thumb.jpeg.7a2102ffca6e484fb9d6c9bb466a83e4.jpeg

EC00655B-EFF0-4068-8507-8EC73F354667.thumb.jpeg.7b7ed179da4b8cb4c92e2421c949d933.jpeg

I could legally bring back (3) deer from that trip.  The odds of that are slim, because 2 of them would need to be antlered bucks.  I have yet to kill one of those up there, when there wasn’t any snow on the ground.

It’s been considerably colder lately, than it has been the last few years, so we might just see  some snow up there over those 9 days.  That wound be awesome.  Ideally, it will be in the 70’s and sunny the first weekend, with good remaining leaf cover, and in the 30’s the second, with 4” of fresh powdery snow.  

• Like 5

On 10/5/2022 at 7:26 AM, Whitetailhobo said:

We are about a week out from opening day . Wondering what everyone is doing ? Who is sleeping in the woods ? Who is headed out for the week? . We are headed back to the moose river to paddle in and hunt . 

I wanted to try sleeping in the woods, at home in WNY during the early September gun season, but my tent got tore up on a summer camping trip.  I couldn’t get the stakes in, on that solid rock site, up on the St Lawrence.  High winds knocked it down and ripped it up pretty bad.  I will sew it up with some fishing line, when I get a little free time over the winter.

CB916296-173B-45EF-A73A-B224719C6E0F.thumb.jpeg.b75aab92e01c01c4ee1ee9f7915611b6.jpeg

I even had a nice campsite picked out over at my parents place.  The back of their woods touches a dead end road, in the  trailer park, around the corner.  I even cleared it with the trailer park superintendent and the guy who owns the closest “double wide”.  I set up a small ladder stand back there and hunted it a few times last season.   

Killing a deer, after spending the night in a tent, is just one of this “bucket list” things that i would like to accomplish.   That adventure will have to wait until next September.   I killed several, including my first Adirondack deer, after spending the night in my old truck camper.   

A room in the basement of my in-laws lakeside retirement home is my current accommodations while hunting up there.  It helps a lot that my mother in law is a great cook.  They even put in a new bathroom for me down there last year.  They close down the outhouse after it freezes.  Maybe that will still be open next week. 

8AD7C0C9-BF83-411D-BBFA-AA976D518BE5.thumb.jpeg.e0c2743dc561aaa0531c3dcbe3206a7b.jpeg6EB49CEB-6959-4DDD-8E4C-B2271304B7E9.thumb.jpeg.0d8215aaf1a2788e42853e109e33d7ed.jpeg

outhouse:

28DE8B4D-CFF5-44A7-ACA4-ACAF5C1EC191.thumb.jpeg.59da9d31cff4913e6a52ddf15d71c49c.jpeg

• Like 1

Leaving on the 18th to hunt up there for a week. 4 hunts with the ML, and then Saturday and Sunday with a rifle if weather cooperates. West Canada Lake Wilderness and Siamese Ponds Wilderness. Last year was great, weather was good and hunted everyday we were up there, hoping to do the same.

Good luck to everyone heading up for early ML opener.