Late Season Rabbits and Grouse Questions

I had my beagle out today.  It was 17 degrees, but I saw fresh rabbit tracks everywhere but she never opened up on any of them.  Does she just suck :( or was it too cold for scenting?

I also walked several evergreen stands today with my ES and never flushed a grouse.  What habitat do you target for late season grouse?

17 is not too cold for scenting, but it might have been too dry.  I assume you were hunting on snow.  Next time check the moisture level of the snow...by feeling with your bare hand...or drop a wool glove or mitten into the snowand see if it picks up snow crystals when you retrieve it.  Don't give up on your dog; there can be days when it is difficult for them to get/hold scent.

Grouse hunting is great in the winter (if you have grouse).  Just don't go early....they are loafers and stay on the roost on cold mornings.  Finding grouse tracks in the snow lets you know they are around and lessens the effect of their eplosive flush...allowing for a more controlled shot (I still miss often!).  We usually bag a few grouse each winter while hunting for snowshoe hares.

You didn't say how old or how much experience your beagle has, but I don't think I ever met a beagle that wont hunt. I can tell you we were out yesterday with bird dogs and there was a lot of tracks in the on-and-off falling snow. The dogs had to get on their bellies and crawl for over 5 minutes to get each cottontail moving. I picked about 100 pieces of thorns from them afterward.

We also got some grouse - but not in soft wood stands.  They have small home ranges and will  use soft woods for winter cover if is available amongst their other habitat needs, but they do not make seasonal migrations or movements into evergreen stands. Since pure soft wood stands to not provide everything the bird needs on a year round basis don't expect to find many (or any) deep inside a conifer plantation.

Edited by mike rossi

My favorite upland gun that I use for grouse, woodcock and rabbits is a 20 gauge side by side with 25 inch barrels choked IC/MOD . I generally shoot 7/8 or 1 ounce of 6 or 7 1/2 shot.

Nothing wrong with a 12 gauge, as long as it is not choked too tight. IC is perfect for the 12 with 1 ounce or 1 1/8 ounce of 6s or 7 1/2s. Don't go any tighter than modified.

Regarding winter grouse cover....Grouse DO need evergreen roosting cover. Otherwise they would be easy prey for predators such as owls.

However they do need food, also, and evergreens don't produce much food for them.

Look for areas with evergreen cover such as hemlock, pine or cedar fairly close to foods sources such as rose, wild grapes, sumac or bayberries.. As Early said, it takes them awhile to work from the roosting cover to the feed..Best hunting is mid day through the afternoon.

I have always used a 12Ga. 1 oz. load of # 6 or 7 1/2 shot. but any gauge will work with an open choke like IC. A friend of mine hunts small game all winter with a 410 or 28 gauge. I need a little bit more shot than that. LOL!

I have two beagles that i run regularly.  One has what i say is a cold nose and the other doesn't.  My beagle Elmer usually does better in colder temps HOWEVER with a very light powdery snow the sent doesn't stick very well and he even has a hard time.  

When it is cold out I usually wait until mid morning to run my beagles because the snow has a little time to melt and the scent sticks to the snow better.  Hope this helps

I find most of my grouse in edge cover along pine stands. Not in the pines, but in thick stuff along the edges. Especially if there are good food sources nearby. I bought a citori 20 gauge last year that I love for grouse and rabbits. A nice light gun that swings beautifully. A 12 gauge will work fine though, I used my 870 for many years to hunt upland, waterfowl, and deer.

sent from somewhere out there....