Would you shoot?

JFB

Ok, it looked like the video worked. To give a little back drop, I had a hard time finding any video of a running deer situation that I personally would shoot at but I'll keep an open mind. 

I'm trying to get a flavor for what other guys are accustomed to. 

Probably not . I would not have tried to stop him. I would have taken the shot a little sooner before the deer turned away. I do not know where these guys find the bucks that will stop in front of them. Never seems to work for me..Most of the bucks I have tried to stop either ignored me or turned on the afterburners.

• Like 2

Probably not . I would not have tried to stop him. I would have taken the shot a little sooner before the deer turned away. I do not know where these guys find the bucks that will stop in front of them. Never seems to work for me..Most of the bucks I have tried to stop either ignored me or turned on the afterburners.

In my experience, bucks chasing doe don't stop too often. But if they are otherwise running and they don't know you're there, you have a good chance at stopping them and thats personally when I shoot. Also, if the deer was recently spooked (I'd say 150 yards or so from when they were first spooked), they also stop less because their priority is evading the initial threat. Once they seem to travel a couple hundred yards or more, they seem to assess their new dangers and thats when you can really stop a running deer with a bleat or yelp assuming they don't see or smell you.

One thing that concerns me with running situations is some guys end up taking whatever they can get for a shot. In this case, when the deer didn't stop to his grunt he ended up taking the last shot opportunity he had. He made a quick clean kill.. but low percentage for most in my opinion. 

That buck would have been dead between the 7 and 10 second mark in the video. If not i would have shot back before he got going straight away from me. I will say i would have shot if i was the hunter. Just not when he did!

Camera view to the shooters view could have been a bit different but I agree. I was saying "shoot know shoot know."..lol.

Based on his comment at the end about "another buck" I think this guy got surprised and the deer came in quickly. If the shooter could see what the camera did he should have shot earlier.

That said I would have taken that elevated going away shot in that clearing as he did. Inside 50 yards and being elevated it was a big vital picture in the open.

when the deer didn't stop to his grunt he ended up taking the last shot opportunity he had. He made a quick clean kill.. but low percentage for most in my opinion.

Well I watched it once again...he had that deer in his sights way before he shot and I do not believe his attention to that was broken by grunting...for I think the camera man grunted...not the shooter...though I could be wrong..and again....I wasn't looking through the scope or privy to his thoughts as he followed that deer...nor do I know how good a grouping he can make off hand during target shooting to say that was a low percentage shot for him...for all I know...he could be a marine sharp shooter...that came to mind because we have two of them living near by..ones range is a 1/2 mile in length... So I can only judge on what I know I could do....

I am a lot more careful in my shot selection nowadays. I shoot maybe a box of shells a year. In the past I shot hundreds of rounds a year and considered myself a pretty good shot.. this allowed me to take some of the more difficult shots... After 15 years of hunting I can still count the missed deer with a firearm on one hand. I think anyways..I may be getting closer ,or on 2 hands now..

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

I will say that I have passed on similar shots, and I don't regret it one bit. I simply have a standing rule that if the deer is running, I do not shoot. That keeps these kinds of decisions real simple.

I do not practice running shots. I believe that a target that is moving up and down as well as forward with varying speeds is not something that I can call a high percentage shot selection for single projectile ammo, and that is the criteria that I use in determining whether to pull the trigger or not.

I think Doc makes a good point.. to me it makes sense for us as hunters to simply make a decision BEFORE we go into the woods regarding running shots. I honestly think too many guys just see it as normal and ok to take a few pot shots and see if they hit- and when excitement takes over many end up taking shots that they've not practiced or lack the skill for. 

This hunter actually says "I hope I didn't hit him all three shots". As he examines the deer, he's searching for bullet holes because he clearly has no ability to know where his shots were going... 

Heck YES, I would have shot, but like some of the previous posters said, I'd have shot earlier, when he was broadside...

No lead necessary on a shot that close..Just center the ribcage in the scope and trip the trigger.

My wingshooting experience sort of screwed me up when I first started hunting deer..I actually was leading deer too much, and I missed several by shooting in FRONT of them. A deer running broadside at 50 yards requires much less lead than a duck or a pheasant. And if they are further than that, I won't take a running shot.

• Like 2

I'm gonna pass on both bucks.

Since I started hunting with my ML exclusively durring the regular and late seasons, I've let quite a few deer walk if the oppertunity was not perfect for the first shot to kill clean and possibly require a follow up.

Not saying I couldn't make that shot earlier in the vid.., but I'd hate to tarnish my 100% ML sucess rate that I'm pretty proud of to this point.

That's what I really like about the front stuffers is they make me very critical of my shot selection, and plenty of deer get a pass.

Edited by wooly

Now that rifles are legal here, I'll probably never use my slug gun again, but if I were there with my old 12 gauge 1100, I would have had about 3 holes in that buck before that dude pulled the trigger.

1100 12 gauge, fully rifled 21" BBL, Winchester BRI sabot slugs and a 1971 El Paso Weaver 2.5X scope...

• Like 2