Age & Score of this buck?

NYBuckHunter27

Firstlight- his face and neck just have that fully mature look. Reminds me of a 5 year old bull.

Fletch- he's a big, wide 10. A deer like that is almost automatically over 140. All of his tines are above average in length for there position (g1, g2...) That's how he gets into the 150s for me.

• Like 1

Ok I got

G1-6

G2-16

G3-20

G4-9

Beams-40

Circbase-9

Circ2-8

Circ3-6

Circ4-6

Spread-19

Come up to 139

The G1 I guessed 6 because one may be 5 but the other is 3.5 do deductions will make it 6 in the end.

Maybe the beams go 44 not 40?

And his bases are not real big.

Edited by Fletch

Ok I got

G1-6

G2-16

G3-20

G4-9

Beams-40

Circbase-9

Circ2-8

Circ3-6

Circ4-6

Spread-19

Come up to 139

The G1 I guessed 6 because one may be 5 but the other is 3.5 do deductions will make it 6 in the end.

Maybe the beams go 44 not 40?

And his bases are not real big.

Pretty close but I'm guessing you can add an inch to all your measurements except maybe the circumferences which on a buck this size are usually no less than 32 total inches.. which puts him in the 140's easy... beams are definitely longer than 40... may even be closer to 46...

I would agee with others that age is tough to judge with the photos provided, but I would not estimate this buck at over 4.5, I would actually estimate him at 3.5years. The reason being isfrom the frontal features I can see.

first, his face looks narrow and lacks the nasal hump that is very common in older age class bucks. 

second, his chest does not apear to be fully developed, his front legs seem to be too close together for a fully mature buck. He just doesn't seem to show the common barrel chested charactaristics of a mature buck. 

is he a nice buck? he sure is, and certainly one I would be happy to put my tag on.

scoring on the hoof or from pictures is tough. but from what I see with this buck and I mean no disrepect to the deer or the folks that have put a score up here.  I would say this buck would top out mid to upper 130's

while he has good tine length on g2 and g3 the g4 's appear to be 4-5" in length. he carries good beam length's but appears to give up on mass and spread.

again he is a nice symetrical buck but I personally feel that he is mid to upper 130's at the most, even as a 10 point main frame you need good numbers to get to 130 inches.  for a 10 point to get into the 150 class he needs all he can get, width, length and certainly mass,  it takes a lot of bone to get that high.

hopefully you can get him next year.

good luck.

• Like 1

I would agee with others that age is tough to judge with the photos provided, but I would not estimate this buck at over 4.5, I would actually estimate him at 3.5years. The reason being isfrom the frontal features I can see.

first, his face looks narrow and lacks the nasal hump that is very common in older age class bucks. 

second, his chest does not apear to be fully developed, his front legs seem to be too close together for a fully mature buck. He just doesn't seem to show the common barrel chested charactaristics of a mature buck. 

is he a nice buck? he sure is, and certainly one I would be happy to put my tag on.

scoring on the hoof or from pictures is tough. but from what I see with this buck and I mean no disrepect to the deer or the folks that have put a score up here.  I would say this buck would top out mid to upper 130's

while he has good tine length on g2 and g3 the g4 's appear to be 4-5" in length. he carries good beam length's but appears to give up on mass and spread.

again he is a nice symetrical buck but I personally feel that he is mid to upper 130's at the most, even as a 10 point main frame you need good numbers to get to 130 inches.  for a 10 point to get into the 150 class he needs all he can get, width, length and certainly mass,  it takes a lot of bone to get that high.

hopefully you can get him next year.

good luck.

By nasal hump you mean roman nose? Not all mature bucks will have a roman nose; some do...some don't.

Don't forget too, that features can be dramatically different based on post-rut body condition. I'm sure he's in a high ag area, but he could be down some serious bodyweight at the moment.

• Like 1