Long Island shotgun harvest thread

First-light

Hey gang,

Had a heck of a day at spots 9 and 10. We had 4 hunters and saw a total of 23 deer. We pushed and pushed all day. Only one of the deer was a buck. 

I didn't shoot at the deer I saw, all were small does. My brother missed the buck and a doe. My niece had a chip shot at a doe and missed also. My brother in law who came all the way down from Burdett NY scored his first LI whitetail! 2.5 year old doe. Real pretty and a nice size. Weather was real tough we had rain and wind most of the day. The key was pushing them all day. DEC biologist said a couple of bucks were brought in but nothing really big. It was an average day for them.

Enjoy the picture!

post-156-0-63534500-1389049765_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey gang,

Had a heck of a day at spots 9 and 10. We had 4 hunters and saw a total of 23 deer. We pushed and pushed all day. Only one of the deer was a buck.

I didn't shoot at the deer I saw, all were small does. My brother missed the buck and a doe. My niece had a chip shot at a doe and missed also. My brother in law who came all the way down from Burdett NY scored his first LI whitetail! 2.5 year old doe. Real pretty and a nice size. Weather was real tough we had rain and wind most of the day. The key was pushing them all day. DEC biologist said a couple of bucks were brought in but nothing really big. It was an average day for them.

Enjoy the picture!

Hi First-light,

I also went out on the first open day, weather was terrible, I was at Rocky Point, had big showers in the morning.

You said you were pushing the seers all day, do you mean you were always moving? Stalking hunt? You did not use a tree stand?

Yes we walked all day. You see a lot but its very hard to

Get off a shot. 4 of us walked that whole area all day.

Thanks, I always do stalking hunt as well. I found it is really hard to see deers before they see you first. I've never got a chance for shooting at a deer.

Did you hunt on Rocky Point?

• 2 months later...