Crazy accident

YFKI1983

So weird non of the links work anymore. Even from outdoor life's Twitter page.

Basically what happened eas an arrow fell out of his quiver and stuck in the ground, blade up. He stepped on it and it went 10 inches into his leg, up passed his knee. He survived but his leg and nerves are jacked up if I remember correclty

I dont even know how to delete this post now.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Although this poor guy had an arrow fall out of his quiver I know if at least one guy on here that walks around both in daylight and darkness with a nocked broadhead tipped arrow.    An extremely dangerous practice……..

That’s me! I treat it like a loaded gun, which is loaded at the vehicle. Always pointed in a safe direction. I’m 100% nocked during legal shooting times. No reason not to be. In the dark if I have to get down a steep hill sitting on my butt or incline where I need my hands to climb I won’t nock. But If it’s a 100-200yd easy walk in, I’m nocked. Less sound and movement when I arrive at my spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BizCT said:

That’s me! I treat it like a loaded gun, which is loaded at the vehicle. Always pointed in a safe direction. I’m 100% nocked during legal shooting times. No reason not to be. In the dark if I have to get down a steep hill sitting on my butt or incline where I need my hands to climb I won’t nock. But If it’s a 100-200yd easy walk in, I’m nocked. Less sound and movement when I arrive at my spot.

Do you unscrew the broadhead like you do the choke tube? 

5 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Although this poor guy had an arrow fall out of his quiver I know if at least one guy on here that walks around both in daylight and darkness with a nocked broadhead tipped arrow.    An extremely dangerous practice……..

I dont really understand this. So we should not still hunt with our bow? I do regularly?

• Like 1

In NY, if you're walking out of the woods after legal hunting hrs with a arrow nocked, your breaking the law. You are technically hunting after legal hrs. 

Yrs ago I had a local warden give me a hard time because I came out of the woods well after legal.  My stand was several hundred yard away, and a swampy area to navigate.  

He was getting ready to write up a ticket when I asked him if he seen me with a arrow nocked? He admitted he hadn't, and I said I could walk around till midnight as long as I don't knock a arrow. He reluctantly backed down and said I need to be out of the woods by legal.  I challenged him again, saying I'll see you here tomorrow evening same time, and I guarantee you won't be giving me a ticket, because I do not need to be out of the woods by legal, just not hunting. 

9 minutes ago, mowin said:

In NY, if you're walking out of the woods after legal hunting hrs with a arrow nocked, your breaking the law. You are technically hunting after legal hrs. 

Yrs ago I had a local warden give me a hard time because I came out of the woods well after legal.  My stand was several hundred yard away, and a swampy area to navigate.  

He was getting ready to write up a ticket when I asked him if he seen me with a arrow nocked? He admitted he hadn't, and I said I could walk around till midnight as long as I don't knock a arrow. He reluctantly backed down and said I need to be out of the woods by legal.  I challenged him again, saying I'll see you here tomorrow evening same time, and I guarantee you won't be giving me a ticket, because I do not need to be out of the woods by legal, just not hunting. 

I'm surprised he backed down ,they're always such pricks about every little detail.

20 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I'm surprised he backed down ,they're always such pricks about every little detail.

I only summarized the incident. Early in this officers career, he had several incidences with my uncle's. He paid special attention to me.  Later in his career, I asked him when he was going to retire? He answered, when I catch you, lol.  So never, was my response.  He eventually did retire, and when I was selling a boat that he ended up buying, I mentioned a rockin retirement party, he looked confused, and I told him he wasn't invited. Lol.  

Seen him several times over the yrs, and often had some interesting conversations about his service.  

• Like 1

A friend of mine has gotten grief at Zoar for coming out after dark

59 minutes ago, mowin said:

you can't coyotes, fox, bobcat after dark with a bow? since when?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BizCT said:

you can't coyotes, fox, bobcat after dark with a bow? since when?

When we went round and round on this years ago, it seemed to be largely an East Vs West parts of the state on how the DEC officers think the law is . 

We have one that hunts the farm and I would meet yearly with another that patrols the area , here you certainly can walk in and out in the dark with your gun loaded, and I guess arrow nocked but I never asked them that .

Thats the answer from them to my direct question , one said you could be coyote hunting . He also wrote one guy he watched after hours walking out , stopping turning looking around , he asked him what that was for ? He SAID  you never know when a deer comes by …..

Myself in the morning I put in the box mag, then quietly chamber a round up on stand , walking out in the dark in generally unload once I clear the fields where it still light enough and legal . 

Edited by Nomad

6 minutes ago, Nomad said:

When we went round and round on this years ago, it seemed to be largely an East Vs West parts of the state on how the DEC officers think the law is . 

We have one that hunts the farm and I would meet yearly with another that patrols the area , here you certainly can walk in and out in the dark with your gun loaded, and I guess arrow nocked but I never asked them that .

Thats the answer from them to my direct question , one said you could be coyote hunting . He also wrote one guy he watched after hours walking out , stopping turning looking around , he asked him what that was for ? He SAID  you never know when a deer comes by …..

Myself in the morning I lit in the box mag, then quietly chamber a round up on stand , walking in the dark in generally unload once I clear the fields where it still light enough and legal . 

The shotgun i use for deer hunting does not chamber silently. That's why i do it at the vehicle. Maybe we need to invent something! 

• Thanks 1