Crazy accident

YFKI1983

2 minutes ago, BizCT said:

The shotgun i use for deer hunting does not chamber silently. That's why i do it at the vehicle. Maybe we need to invent something! 

You just do it as quietly as possible and don’t worry one bit.   This isn’t life or death for us.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lawdwaz said:

You just do it as quietly as possible and don’t worry one bit.   This isn’t life or death for us.  

out west I always put the bolt of the rifle over a round when hiking around. but in NY with limited mountains, I chamber and walk in as quietly as possible and sitdown silent.

52 minutes ago, mowin said:

Sure, walk out of the woods with rattling antlers, grunt call and deer pee.  

Honestly officer, I'm hunting coyotes.  Lol

I'm not following. If coyote season is open, why can't you be prepared and legal hunt them on your way out of the woods?

3 minutes ago, BizCT said:

I'm not following. If coyote season is open, why can't you be prepared and legal hunt them on your way out of the woods?

I'm just telling you what I've been told from more than one encon officer. 

12 minutes ago, BizCT said:

That's bizarre

What you say makes sense..  it does. 

But I've been told by encon, walk out of the woods loaded up after legal with deer calls, deer pee making it more than obviously your hunting deer, and you bought yourself a ticket. Now, weather they were blowing smoke up my ass, I'm not sure. One I seen in a local bar several years ago and we got talking about a poaching case in our area. Figured since he was talking shop, I'd ask. 

But I've been told by encon, walk out of the woods loaded up after legal with deer calls, deer pee making it more than obviously your hunting deer, and you bought yourself a ticket. Now, weather they were blowing smoke up my ass, I'm not sure. One I seen in a local bar several years ago and we got talking about a poaching case in our area. Figured since he was talking shop, I'd ask. 
Does DEC ever go on private land. I've never seen besides when they were called because of a trespasser

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BizCT said:

I’d love to see a show of hands of guys (or gals of course) that have had a sighting of a coyote while walking that was within bow range but just didn’t have an arrow nocked.    I’ll hang up and wait.   

• Like 1

Outfitter I have used has a guide working for him that was hunting real thick stuff with bow hunter. Client nocked an arrow in case of a quick shot. Tripped on root and sunk the broad head right to the bone in the guides thigh. 

Boy that’s gotta hurt.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I’d love to see a show of hands of guys (or gals of course) that have had a sighting of a coyote while walking that was within bow range but just didn’t have an arrow nocked.    I’ll hang up and wait.   

That wasn't the point. the point was that it's legal, but he is saying an ECO told him it was illegal. Bow or Gun. He's saying it's illegal after dark.

1 hour ago, mowin said:

I'm not saying your lying. Just saying it's wrong on the ECO part. I never carry deer pee, and almost never carry deer calls. But that's the not the point. You don't have to be hunting coyote to carry a loaded gun or nocked bow after dark. It could be fox, coon, etc.

Edited by BizCT

11 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

me opening day this year.Red lens on headlamp, actually i think I had the green lens on to see better on bridge,  closest was 18-19 yards while i was crossing a small suspension bridge. Both froze up for I bet 80-90seconds trying to figure out what the heck i was or going on. Nocked an arrow and full draw for awhile but could'nt see my pins at all. Was a little eerie to have them that close with only a stick and string. If it was regular gun season I would have probably killed my first and second ever coyote. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

me opening day this year.Red lens on headlamp, actually i think I had the green lens on to see better on bridge,  closest was 18-19 yards while i was crossing a small suspension bridge. Both froze up for I bet 80-90seconds trying to figure out what the heck i was or going on. Nocked an arrow and full draw for awhile but could'nt see my pins at all. Was a little eerie to have them that close with only a stick and string. If it was regular gun season I would have probably killed my first and second ever coyote. 

I trust you’ll be the only one.   It’s hard enough to get a crack at one while on stand.  Walking around in the dark is a completely different deal.   

Oh sure, there’ll be others to chime in with a similar tale but really, BFD if you DO get a crack at one, on the ground, in the dark with a bow.   Chances of making a killing shot are slim, at best.   This isn’t the 60’s and 70’s with guys and their stick bows shooting instinctively.   :)

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

I can't recall any in the dark, because I rarely if ever use a light.  But in the past 40+ yrs of hunting, I've probably have had a half dozen or so close encounters while walking to or from stand in the daylight, and probably shot a dozen or more with the rifle while walking in, but those were no where's near bow range.