Snake ID?

BizCT

Just now, Nytracker said:

Looks like a deflated bicycle  innertube. Or it got run over by a track driven vehicle. 

very much alive according to my wife and when i walked over it was gone. It was basking in the 73 degree sun I guess.

Grampy is right about all these type of snakes can have different shades of colors and markings. Looking at the species of snakes in CT , the one that looks the closest in color and markings is the Eastern Rat Snake which also has a variety of markings and shades .  The shape of it being thin makes it look like a Racer. But the markings and color of this particular snake resembles a Rat Snake. Could be either one . Watched a video on Racers and WOW are they FAST !

5 hours ago, BizCT said:

Zoom showing pattern

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IMG_5418.jpg

EastRS.jpg

Edited by SportsmanNH

6 minutes ago, Waterfowler said:

……Don’t understand why a lot of people feel the need to kill every snake they see. 

I live fairly close to some good rattlesnake habitat. Its a real thrill to hike and spot one. 

Have a couple thick black snakes in my firewood stacks, found a shed skin thats just enormous the other day when moving some wood for the winter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, airedale said:

My dogs will kill them if they get the chance, my old Den Terrier Scruffy pictured below took out a black colored snake that looks a lot like the one above.

Al

2022-06-28_084932.png

I had a  black lab female,   nice family dog but dumb as a box of rocks..

However, she was DEATH on snakes ...It was 10 years after she died that I started seeing a few snakes around the property....She also hated cats...Someone dropped off a bunch  one time when we were away , and when we got home there were dead cats scattered all over the yard...Annie, the lab, was sitting on the back porch , happy as a clam...I SWEAR she was smiling...

• Like 1