Coyote Hunting Q

Zag

Our forester noticed a coyote den a couple yrs ago on the top of a creek gully. This yr its being used. I've never coyote hunting before and wondered if I would be waiting my time sitting on the opposite ridge. I only have a rabbit distress call. Hunting under the moon light the best time? Thoughts?

Yea. I had just setup the trail cam near some oak trees that's all tore up with deer sign. I just happen to take a walk around to do some scouting when I walked up the ridge and remembered that den. Next time I'm back ill move it to the den. So I have my 308 or a 22mag. Either work fine?

Yea. I had just setup the trail cam near some oak trees that's all tore up with deer sign. I just happen to take a walk around to do some scouting when I walked up the ridge and remembered that den. Next time I'm back ill move it to the den. So I have my 308 or a 22mag. Either work fine?

Sure, either gun will "work" but what bullets in the .308?  .22mag will get the job done but less margin of error.

If what ultramag said is true, (and I don't doubt it but I don't know either) then for sure I'd hang the camera's and keep an eye on the birthing grounds.....

Coyotes do not use dens year round,they start digging /cleaning out  in late Feb early March.  Fox about a month sooner....

Would a fox use a coyote den. The fox dens ive seen all had multiple holes.

Zag...where is this den !!?? I'll bring my calls and help call and kill !!! If not, I'd even be down for calling for you ! Hell, I'll even videotape ya !! Let's kill yotes !!

Thanks for the offer treeguy, I love a new challenge, plus my two good friends are pretty experienced if I fail!!

Depends if you are just watching the den or calling them....if you are just targeting the dens I would set up a trail cam to see what time they are moving other wise set up within a hundred yards of the den and call....but remember Play the wind....coyotes have a better since of smell then deer do....

If you call use a light rodent call nothing to loud if you are within a 100 yards or so and remember watch behind you

Or bring a friend and have him sit behind you atleast

Edited by coyote hunter

Beats me. Why would they?  I was saying that fox start their dens earlier than coyotes....

I know what you were saying, something's using it but from my view the tracks in and out were on the west side of the hole. I just assumed yotes. So ill have to go back next weekend and check the tracks and hang a cam. In the mean time ill wait for a clear full moon!!