EZ PASS with trailer

Geno C

I never had do do anything when towing my open 2 axle car trailer. Just pull into the correct lane at the toll both,and they charge you Extra for the trailer. did this at least 2 times a month from L.I. to N.J. and to Albany area and back for years.

As long as you go through a "manned" toll lane so they can charge you accordingly you will br fine. I went through the "ezpass" only lane once with my snowmobile trailer. I figured they would never know. Then I got my statement and because the plate on trailer didnt match my ezpass account I got charged from the start of thryway in Albany to the syracuse exit I got off at. Guy told me to always go through a booth that has someone working it if you have a trailer and you will br fine

Edited by boo711

As long as you go through a "manned" toll lane so they can charge you accordingly you will br fine. I went through the "ezpass" only lane once with my snowmobile trailer. I figured they would never know. Then I got my statement and because the plate on trailer didnt match my ezpass account I got charged from the start of thryway in Albany to the syracuse exit I got off at. Guy told me to always go through a booth that has someone working it if you have a trailer and you will br fine

I don't have an ez pass but always thought the "reader"read the ez pass box, not plates??

Enlighten me.............................

There is a camera that snaps a picture of your plate as you drive through. Not sure where or how exactly. Just what the guy told me when I called to dispute the extra charges I got. My wife just reminded me this happened to me twice once with my snowmobile trailer and once with our camper in pennsylvania on way back from nascar race in dover. Those charges didnt get refunded. If you go through lane with a toll person you can get charged accordingly. If you go through ezpass only lane you can get charged like i did if you dou do not have proper ezpass for trailer. You can get a seperate ezpass for just when you are towing a trailer that is designated to how many axles you have and whenever you use that it will charge you the rate for car and trailer if you go through ezpass only lane.

There is a camera that snaps a picture of your plate as you drive through. Not sure where or how exactly. Just what the guy told me when I called to dispute the extra charges I got. My wife just reminded me this happened to me twice once with my snowmobile trailer and once with our camper in pennsylvania on way back from nascar race in dover. Those charges didnt get refunded. If you go through lane with a toll person you can get charged accordingly. If you go through ezpass only lane you can get charged like i did if you dou do not have proper ezpass for trailer. You can get a seperate ezpass for just when you are towing a trailer that is designated to how many axles you have and whenever you use that it will charge you the rate for car and trailer if you go through ezpass only lane.

Good to know...

Yes. Just drive right through with your trailer. It can tell you have a trailer and they will charge you accordingly. No big deal.

It can tell you have a trailer which if you do not have a proper account for the trailer they will not be able to tell how many axles you have to charge you. They will not charge you accordingly. They will charge you with the max amount they can. I found out the hard way.

Honestly I can't remember if I listed it with this tag. Maybe I'll call it in and see about changing it?

IF you change it it will hit you for the extra axle every time. Better to just pull the tag off and run it with tickets while pulling the trailer. Or do like my one buddy does. He has it for his vehicle only and goes by the "better to get forgiveness than permission" route

I don't remember exactly, but I usually get charged another $5 for my little trailer or my camper. Same thing. Is that the max amount? Don't know. I don't trailer enough to get a separate ezpass.

I dont know max amount. And I dont trailer enough anymore either to have a separate ezpass either. I just go through a boith when I bring my snowmobile up north in the fall and when I bring it home in the spring. I just let it deduct the extra off my balance

I can tell you it doesn't wok that way in the automated lanes between Albany and Buffalo. It reads the tag and has no idea how many axles you have.

All I know is every time I go over the throgs neck and George Washington bridges in the automated ezpass lane, I get charged a few dollars extra. I have been doing it for years, I get charged every time. How they know? No idea.

I dont know max amount. And I dont trailer enough anymore either to have a separate ezpass either. I just go through a boith when I bring my snowmobile up north in the fall and when I bring it home in the spring. I just let it deduct the extra off my balance

Exactly, it's not a big deal.

I pull a double axle boat trailler all summer at least once a week. I just have the ez pass on my truck. If I go through the ez pass lane all it reads is the ez pass tag & I just get charged for the truck.. If I go through the wide load for large trucks ez pass lane it will get me for the trailer sometimes not always.(cameras?) If I go through a manned lane they will punch in the trailer & I get charged for it. 

• Like 1

has anyone used their EZ pass when pulling a trailer for an ATV?

I have. From Long Island to exit 19 on NYS Thruway. Trailer with 2 quads. The trailer is registered but I just go thru regular ezpass and never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just go through the unmanned ez pass lane. They get enough of our tax monies, why pay more just because you are pulling a little trailer.

some times they will add this to your bill others they won't  I pulled a trailer going up I payed coming home no charges were add to my bill