Put a fork in me

Nomad

Well this could be my last season of bow hunting , been doing it since 1988 . Bad shoulders for years but I deal with it . Now a few years back I could no longer draw my bow . I got a crossbow so I could at least get those two weeks , then I found a bow I could draw and all was good for 3/4 more years till today   . Shoulders of course hurt,  they do most days ,fingers tingle even , but today while sitting I decided to see if I could draw and clear some branches ,it took all I had to get it back ,then two hours later , prior to getting down I stood up to shoot a field point like I always do before  getting down and I could not pull the string back .

This is just how it went before ,I could  shoot in my yard standing ,warm etc , but after sitting and if it’s cold that’s all it took  to tip the scale . Soon if the pattern continues I won’t be able to draw at all under any conditions.

Im trying to knock the inflammation down , and will do my stretching , maybe hunt just warm afternoons , I only have to sit an hour then , but I hate coming back the next day …

So that’s it ,quite frankly I was shocked , speechless and pissed when I couldn’t draw today . Here we go again , time to dust off the xbow . 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Nomad said:

Well this could be my last season of bow hunting , been doing it since 1988 . Bad shoulders for years but I deal with it . Now a few years back I could no longer draw my bow . I got a crossbow so I could at least get those two weeks , then I found a bow I could draw and all was good for 3/4 more years till today   . Shoulders of course hurt,  they do most days ,fingers tingle even , but today while sitting I decided to see if I could draw and clear some branches ,it took all I had to get it back ,then two hours later , prior to getting down I stood up to shoot a field point like I always do before  getting down and I could not pull the string back .

This is just how it went before ,I could  shoot in my yard standing ,warm etc , but after sitting and if it’s cold that’s all it took  to tip the scale . Soon if the pattern continues I won’t be able to draw at all under any conditions.

Im trying to knock the inflammation down , and will do my stretching , maybe hunt just warm afternoons , I only have to sit an hour then , but I hate coming back the next day …

So that’s it ,quite frankly I was shocked , speechless and pissed when I couldn’t draw today . Here we go again , time to dust off the xbow . 

I hear ya.  Not far behind. I'm ok now, but in a week or so leaf cleanups start, and the backpack blower wears my right shoulder out from swinging the exhaust tube back and forth.  Only pulling 45lbs now. 

• Like 1

Thanks . We’ll see , today I was in a hang on for the first time in years, and thinking back I was kinda hunched forward  ,probably why my fingers started to tingle . I’ll try my big ladders with big seats ,foot rests, arm rests ,and I’ll  try to have good posture like mom always said .

• Like 3

As I've mentioned before I'm three weeks into some physical therapy for a couple problems with my left shoulder.  The PT seems to be helping somewhat but nowhere near what I should be able to do.  Oh I'm shooting 10-12 arrows at a crack each day but the terribly unorthodox way I draw puts OTHER pressure on my right shoulder. 

One thing I never thought of crossed my mind this morning; what if I see an opportunity for a shot and draw the bow but for one reason or another the shot never materializes, can I let the bow down?  I think I could be in trouble........

BTW,  the fingers on my right hand were numb also.  Carpal tunnel probably but I was cold today, toes & hands.  My shake down cruise was painful...... :)

I'm drawing 53lbs and should really crank it back 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn on the Allen bolts.  I just might.

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Nomad said:

I'm right there with ya brother. I haven't been able to draw my bow all year, up until two weeks ago. Both shoulders need surgery.....again. I was giving a hunter ed bow class a couple weeks ago, and brought my bow. Been doing exercises and PT all summer. After the course, a couple other instructors were shooting. So I grabbed my bow and gave it a go. Surprisingly I got the first shot off and right on target at 25 yards! Shot about eight shots. Each one a bit more painful than the last. But darned if they all didn't hit where I was aiming out to 35 yards. But.....that was under ideal conditions. Not sure if I get out in the woods, and a little chilled, I can get to full draw or not??? Will try shooting a couple arrows tomorrow. See how it goes? For each of the last few years I've said this will be my final bow season. Pretty sure this one will be. I've had a good run bowhunting since the late 70s.  I'm a young 65. And I still got the crossbow season. I can live with that. But my first love will always be my bow.

• Like 4

Another good option, in just (4) more days, is to head north.  Crossbow opens up there, on Wednesday October 12, and ML opens on Saturday October 15, gun on Saturday October 22.   The incredible scenery, and lack of hunting pressure up there, way more than make up for the lower deer density.  

I don’t miss bow hunting at all, since I started doing that, especially now that we have the early antlerless gun season here in WNY.  

My shoulders are good (probably because I stopped shooting my bow before I turned 50), but I have not had the time to maintain proficiency with a vertical bow, since our kids started playing sports.

If full inclusion of the crossbow doesn’t pass, in (7) more years when I retire, then maybe I will get back into bow hunting.  More likely, I’ll just spend a little more time small game and fall Turkey hunting.  The odds are pretty good, that I will move up to the northern zone, after I retire.  

I can’t say that I miss bow hunting at all.  The crossbow is so much more effective for me, and the Adirondacks are so much nicer of a place to hunt, that I say “good riddance” to it.  Every time I read in the “live tread” on here of “high back hits”, and bringing out the dogs in the morning, that feeling gets reinforced.  

Burn your bow and don’t look back.

Edited by wolc123
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nomad said:

I’m getting there , I found my old age creeping in and I’m really not that old last Sunday after sitting in the stand for a few hrs,  I decided to draw my bow sitting down. ( I prefer to not stand to reduce my movement ) And had a twinge  in my lower back , I’m at 65 lbs still and I can draw it so easily , had zero problems in the warm weather shooting from a stool in practice . But at this weight my lower back doesn't like it when I get cold .

Drs say I’ve got degenerative discs severe arthritis etc in it , so I’m dropping down to 55lbs after the season. Also think I’m going to have the wife sew  in some pockets on my base layers lower back area  so I can slip some hot hands in to keep my lower back warm . 

And as others have said drop down to 40 if you have to, my wife  has hunted with a 38lb draw bow since she started . She stays at 20 yards  and down and I have her shooting a slim diameter arrow with a 75 grain brass insert,  a 100 grain head, with feathers for a total arrow weight of 410 grains . Her  last deer she shot was quartering away at 12 yards and it went in between the last 2 ribs and the off side shoulder stoped the arrow . 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 2

Was really concerned on the start of my season.hard to relax my shoulders as I have knots under shoulder blades that haven't went away in over a year(starting to think things are torn)did the PT thing,massage therapy and now chiropractor. Don't sleep very well at night due to waking up with fingers numb.bring my kneck all the way back and feel it right to those knots.think alot of it has to do with the repeated motion at work/bad posture,dunno but it sucks at 30 years old.chiroprator I go to has a YouTube channel and will gladly send you the link if think it may be helpful

• Like 1

Can feel my expiration  date coming up pretty soon to. Left shoulders getting to where it hurts pretty good after a dozen  shots. Always hunted with a bow. Going to suck losing  a season because some people don't care about your age related problems. They will be there sooner than they realize.

• Like 4

Had to give up the bow a few years ago. Work related injury. Moving railroad jack. Tried to one hand it over a piece of equipment.  Dr said put off surgery as long as I can. Insurance  only opted for shots. Pain is still there all be it not all the time. Shooting bow makes it extremely painful for days after 12 arrows. Tried shooting a 45lbs bow last year and it was no good. Dr said if I have surgery I will be off 4 to 6 months from work. Can't afford  that. 

I recently took an administrative job where I'm not turning wrench or lifting like I use to. I think next year after I'm established in my position I will look into surgery. I may never be able to shoot bow but hopefully I will sleep through the night on my side,without waking up in pain.

Really wish they would allow crossbow all season. Missing bow hunting really bad with this mornings frost. 

Edited by Nytracker
  • Like 4

Well, since nobody else mentioned this I guess I will.  I started bowhunting at 16, took my first deer 4 years after that with a Shakespeare recurve bow.  Now I am 68.  For two years I was where you are at.  On a warm day I could pull my bow back on the ground but when up in a treestand I was unable to do so.  A few deer got a pass, oh well.  I have hunted with family since age 16 and didn't want to give it up.  Last year I got a Drawloc device and installed it on my bow.  My doctor was well aware that my left shoulder is shot and was happy to sign the form you download from the DEC website.  Yes, it is kinda sad to not use the archery skills I acquired in 50 years of bowhunting.  But at least I am still able to hunt.  You have to make certain adaptions as you get older.  It took me a while to come to terms with it.  Next up is climbing on top of my house to clean the chimney, not so good at that anymore either!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nomad said:

Thanks and I see I’m not alone ! I was devastated  when I couldn’t draw again . Time will,tell .

After my injury last yr, and I am still in PT and can not pull back a 50lb. So I feel your pain. 

Rehab is taking way longer than I would like and its very depressing and frustrating. 

I loved taking a deer with a bow, miss it so much.

My solution: I am using the Infinite Edge at 38lb and 500gn arrow with QAD exodus and keep a decent group at 20yrs. Will be out every chance I get but will allow me to enjoy one more season.

• Like 4

On 10/8/2022 at 3:31 PM, Nomad said:

I'm sorry to read about your difficulties. I wonder if you have a chance to shoot in the off season...say in your basement, if you have one...just a couple shots each day, then work up from there.

I started with just a few in march and just kept going each day, until I was confident enough to shoot more.

Hope you can overcome the difficulties and get back into form.

Don't quit.

• Like 2

i'm young. i can pull 80lbs with ease but do have an old shoulder injury from an auto wreck that flares up. that said i've dropped down to 60lbs still. when i'm older i'll do what moog said and drop all the way down to 40lbs. when i can't do that i'll still be a bowhunter but in the woods with a "crossgun" as some here call them until the day i can't even physically make it out there. whomever doesn't consider me a bowhunter with whatever crazy tech in vertical form they're also using can suck it.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 7:48 PM, Lawdwaz said:

As I've mentioned before I'm three weeks into some physical therapy for a couple problems with my left shoulder.  The PT seems to be helping somewhat but nowhere near what I should be able to do.  Oh I'm shooting 10-12 arrows at a crack each day but the terribly unorthodox way I draw puts OTHER pressure on my right shoulder. 

One thing I never thought of crossed my mind this morning; what if I see an opportunity for a shot and draw the bow but for one reason or another the shot never materializes, can I let the bow down?  I think I could be in trouble........

BTW,  the fingers on my right hand were numb also.  Carpal tunnel probably but I was cold today, toes & hands.  My shake down cruise was painful...... :)

I'm drawing 53lbs and should really crank it back 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn on the Allen bolts.  I just might.

Before leaving the woods after a hunt I like to draw and let down before walking out.

Sorry to hear @Nomad. I used to use an "Accubow" in the off-season for my bad shoulder. It made a big difference. I actually sent it to @Jeremy K for his Dad to use. Nowadays they come with video game stuff, but mine didn't have that. It was a simple rubber band bow you can change the poundage on. Good Luck!