Favorite Tree to Hunt From

ridgerunner88

I have shot more deer from ash trees than all other species combined but all but one are gone now.  I did shoot a doe already this year, during the early antlerless gun season, from that last one, which has been dead for over a year.

The only green left on it, is the poison ivy growing up the side.  They say that is a preferred deer forage.  If so, who needs foodplots.  I passed a small doe from it at 5 yards and shot the big one behind her from 10.  

I am going to cut off the dead top this winter (I’ll heat my house for a week or two with that), and cap the stump with an upside down gray plastic 5 gallon bucket.  Maybe I can get another 10 or so years out of the stand that way.  It’s only 4 ft high, so I shouldn’t get hurt too bad if and when it falls over.

42533C25-86D1-4C32-9475-8DED46020EC2.thumb.jpeg.07f6f3d7177f46e0ccc3de3d541b5dca.jpeg
3419E480-C8C8-4298-9855-C4EF2B255D86.thumb.jpeg.53c641fda49fc084218a12341bc3cbac.jpeg

Going forward, I am using maples, cherry, and poplar.  I think I am at (5) deer killed from (4) stands in maples, (3) from one stand in a cherry, and none yet from one in a poplar.  I have got to be close to a hundred, from about 10 stands in ash trees.  I am going to keep that last one, as long as the capped stump stands.  

I did kill one of my largest bucks, from the ground one minute after climbing down from a stand in a hemlock, from which I had never scored.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I have shot more deer from ash trees than all other species combined but all but one are gone now.  I did shoot a doe already this year, during the early antlerless gun season, from that last one, which has been dead for over a year.

The only green left on it, is the poison ivy growing up the side.  They say that is a preferred deer forage.  If so, who needs foodplots.  I passed a small doe from it at 5 yards and shot the big one behind her from 10.  

I am going to cut off the dead top this winter (I’ll heat my house for a week or two with that), and cap the stump with an upside down gray plastic 5 gallon bucket.  Maybe I can get another 10 or so years out of the stand that way.  It’s only 4 ft high, so I shouldn’t get hurt too bad if and when it falls over.

42533C25-86D1-4C32-9475-8DED46020EC2.thumb.jpeg.07f6f3d7177f46e0ccc3de3d541b5dca.jpeg
3419E480-C8C8-4298-9855-C4EF2B255D86.thumb.jpeg.53c641fda49fc084218a12341bc3cbac.jpeg

Going forward, I am using maples, cherry, and poplar.  I think I am at (5) deer killed from (4) stands in maples, (3) from one stand in a cherry, and none yet from one in a poplar.  I have got to be close to a hundred, from about 10 stands in ash trees.  I am going to keep that last one, as long as the capped stump stands.  

I did kill one of my largest bucks, from the ground one minute after climbing down from a stand in a hemlock, from which I had never scored.  

You could have saved each Ash for $10-$15 a year . 

22 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Beech or soft maple next to a hemlock. Always easier to climb and get my sticks set solid and usually guaranteed to have great cover

Any tree that @Swamp_bucks puts me near this year. Won't be able to climb tree due to hip replacement surgery. But I ll at least be in woods hunting taking it easy lol.