What's your favorite sound to hear in the deer woods?

Five Seasons

Good lord that's hard to choose..  

A snort wheeze is something that I've only seen mature deer make, so I think I'd have to go with that.  

Not saying younger bucks don't snort wheeze, just need seen one snort wheeze. 

10 minutes ago, mowin said:

Good lord that's hard to choose..  

A snort wheeze is something that I've only seen mature deer make, so I think I'd have to go with that.  

Not saying younger bucks don't snort wheeze, just need seen one snort wheeze. 

I've only heard/witnessed it once in 20+ years and he was a very, very big buck

9 minutes ago, mowin said:

Really, so a bang on neighbors probably just after you seen a slammer heading that direction is your favorite sound.. lol.

Just busting.  I know what you meant. 

haha yeah. Sometimes a bang if it's not me makes me cry inside. 

• Haha 1

An owl hooting. The owl is my spirit bird. There have been times when I'd hear an owl telling me to be ready, and I'd have a successful hunt. My grandmother was full blood native American. When I was young, she'd take me to the reservation in NC. It was there I learned about the owl being my spirit bird. And how the ones we loved, come back to greet us on the wings of the owl. There is no better sound in the woods for me.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, grampy said:

An owl hooting. The owl is my spirit bird. There have been times when I'd hear an owl telling me to be ready, and I'd have a successful hunt. My grandmother was full blood native American. When I was young, she'd take me to the reservation in NC. It was there I learned about the owl being my spirit bird. And how the ones we loved, come back to greet us on the wings of the owl. There is no better sound in the woods for me.

The sound of barred owls is something I enjoy. 

Shot-wise, the grunt/gurgle from a buck at impact. Much more confidence inspiring that the diaphragm thud/pop even though both are fatal.  

I always thought snort wheezes were cool and I went a long time before hearing them or maybe even knowing what they were, but I've heard and seen them from enough mid-age bucks to not be ready to crawl out of my skin, despite it still being cool to hear. Older bucks will do it too, but I think I've seen 3.5s do it more than older bucks. I think it gets the "press" nowadays.

For me - it'd be long, tending grunts following by clicking. That'll make the hair on the back of your neck stick up. That and the "growl/roar" are right up there with mature, older bucks. I've only ever heard them a handful of times. When I hear it now, and know what it is, I get an adrenaline dump immediately. My 2020 Missouri buck was that way - heard him a solid 30 seconds before I saw him. Knew I was letting one go if presented even before seeing him. 

5 minutes ago, johnplav said:

My favorite sound is the crunch of deer footsteps on leaves... and for one of my spots that's near a road, I've grown to love the sound of a car horn.  That means deer should be heading my way in a few minutes. 

Used to hunt a small 15a parcel that bordered a large alfalfa field. The deer had to cross a county Rd to get to the field. Car horns definitely meant deer were on their way. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, phade said:

Shot-wise, the grunt/gurgle from a buck at impact. Much more confidence inspiring that the diaphragm thud/pop even though both are fatal.  

I always thought snort wheezes were cool and I went a long time before hearing them or maybe even knowing what they were, but I've heard and seen them from enough mid-age bucks to not be ready to crawl out of my skin, despite it still being cool to hear. Older bucks will do it too, but I think I've seen 3.5s do it more than older bucks. I think it gets the "press" nowadays.

For me - it'd be long, tending grunts following by clicking. That'll make the hair on the back of your neck stick up. That and the "growl/roar" are right up there with mature, older bucks. I've only ever heard them a handful of times. When I hear it now, and know what it is, I get an adrenaline dump immediately. My 2020 Missouri buck was that way - heard him a solid 30 seconds before I saw him. Knew I was letting one go if presented even before seeing him. 

I know that a 3.5 isn't technically mature, but 98% of hunters will call that a shooter buck haha.

59 minutes ago, Belo said:

I know that a 3.5 isn't technically mature, but 98% of hunters will call that a shooter buck haha.

I don't disagree with that. But in terms of vocalizations as I have heard and seen it play out, a snort wheeze is just as or more likely in my experience to be from a middle-age buck than a fully mature one.

I've only heard the clicking a handful of times and the same with the roar/growl - think four times I can recall. It's been a 4.5+ buck IMO each time. For me, it's been in thick cover and the older buck is tending a ready-now doe. All but one of the occasions there were satellite bucks going around the two of them. Come to think of it, I've heard snort wheezing more in the open areas than in thick cover. 

I guess my point is, you hear clicking or growling, you're in the game.

I'll also add, I think we're at a disadvantage of being in the NE US with ratios more heavily weighted to does. Even going to Ohio, vocalizations are more pronounced and more part of the hunting. Missouri - even more. I was surprised at how much vocalization I've heard in Missouri. I heard a grunt sequence the first year and I thought for sure a hunter was in there making some bad decisions, lol. Nope, that was a buck doing his thing in cover. 

Edited by phade

9 minutes ago, phade said:

I don't disagree with that. But in terms of vocalizations as I have heard and seen it play out, a snort wheeze is just as or more likely in my experience to be from a middle-age buck than a fully mature one.

I've only heard the clicking a handful of times and the same with the roar/growl - think four times I can recall. It's been a 4.5+ buck IMO each time. For me, it's been in thick cover and the older buck is tending a ready-now doe. All but one of the occasions there were satellite bucks going around the two of them. Come to think of it, I've heard snort wheezing more in the open areas than in thick cover. 

I guess my point is, you hear clicking or growling, you're in the game.

I'll also add, I think we're at a disadvantage of being in the NE US with ratios more heavily weighted to does. Even going to Ohio, vocalizations are more pronounced and more part of the hunting. Missouri - even more. I was surprised at how much vocalization I've heard in Missouri. I heard a grunt sequence the first year and I thought for sure a hunter was in there making some bad decisions, lol. Nope, that was a buck doing his thing in cover. 

yeah we're not disagreeing on anything. I just meant that for most of us a snort wheeze from a 3.5 still means game time haha

Hard to pick one but deep tending grunt of a buck followed by running through the leaves. Sometimes I'll hear it before I see what buck is making the sound and there nothing that can jump start your heart more.

Snort wheeze is funny I went decades before hearing one. I hear them more from middle aged bucks but I heard my first one from a button buck! He was chasing a little doe that wasn't having it. Sound straight out of a TV hunting show but it was the smallest buck in the woods.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 1