What happened here

So I've got plots I planted last 3 years. Brassica mix. They were great. No lime needed light fert. This year not so great. I turned and planted new ones by them. Thought there would struggle. Just the opposite. Same seed. What happened to old plots. Pics show new and old

20221009_115345.jpg

20221009_115321.jpg

20221009_115342.jpg

20221009_115333.jpg

Im guessing its lacking somthing in soil maybe like others said planting same thing back to back can deplete soil of something  that plant needs my 1st food plot was one of my best no fertilizer or lime but several years later my plots need fertilizer at least every other year. again get a soil test in spring only like 12 or 14 bucks from whitetail inst....I have had same thing happen,, Brassicas due use alot of the nitrogen in the ground and that does not get replaced by tilling

Edited by land 1

9 minutes ago, SWEDE said:

Those old areas drain well. Great growth last 3 years. Seed spread at same rate for all areas. I though brassics improve soil when tilling under left over bulbs.

they consume more than whatever is left over that you'd till under. especially assuming the deer have hit it pretty good by then.

1 minute ago, SWEDE said:

Will do. Wonder if brassica needs to be rotated out every few years

it's good to do that to prevent things like blight and it's just good practice. plant cover crop rye (NOT forage rye grass) and till it under each year if there's anything left. plot doesn't seem very big at all.

For starters 3 years in a row of Brassicas with no rotation or other plantings in between will certainly hurt these plants after a few years. I learned this the hard way also. The colors here show nutrient deficiency, hence your nice greens on a new plot and colors on an old nutrient beaten plot. Also, very wet soils wil change them colors (usually a yellow in my experience). If it were me spread a clover blend into it now or this winter, or put some soil building blends in there this spring and summer. Annual rotations will work best for you.. Buckwheats, oats annual clover, sudangrass, etc.. But theres already a shortage of seeds going into the 2023 season.. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, SWEDE said:

Will do. Wonder if brassica needs to be rotated out every few years

Frost seed clover then in September top seed with rye or wheat. Leave it for two years or more depending on your goal. This will add nitrogen and organic matter to your soil. Clover has lots of tonnage. I use wti clover for small areas and for larger areas red clover.

what cory said,,, plus a soil test, clover aint great late season so add  rye into clover in the fall next yr wont hurt, I luv my brassica plots good from october till jan... but i have found yr after yr you start loosing good plots

Edited by land 1

15 hours ago, land 1 said:

what cory said,,, plus a soil test, clover aint great late season so add  rye into clover in the fall next yr wont hurt, I luv my brassica plots good from october till jan... but i have found yr after yr you start loosing good plots

There are several clovers on the market that are as good or better than brassicas. They are great nearly all year long..  

17 hours ago, SWEDE said:

Those old areas drain well. Great growth last 3 years. Seed spread at same rate for all areas. I though brassics improve soil when tilling under left over bulbs.

Brassica will burn out soil recommendations do not plant 2 years in a row in same spot.  You were lucky you got good growth there.. nutrients are used  up and  not to mention the build up of plant destroying  fungus and plant diseases..   rotate with a grain / clover cover " green manure " crop.

• Like 2