22LR rifle accuracy and range?

5 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

you can hear them hit, we paint the targets white. it son a hill side and everything echoes back. .223, 308 make real loud noise bounce back to us. the 338 lapua broke the weld on the target mount the one time we did it lol

we were shooting down into a massive chopped corn field in a valley. it's was ridiculous as i was shooting a 60gr vmax and he was sending a 285gr eldm. only rifle i had that could dial elevation. 22LR whole world apart than a 223/556.

• Like 1

Watched this video this morning and it is a very good one and gives a pretty accurate analysis of 22 ammo 50 yard performance for accuracy, I have had just about the same results when bench testing the different brands.

A big player in the results of such tests is of course the firearm being used. The shooter looks to be using a standard Ruger 10/22, probably the most popular 22 rifle today. They shoot well enough for plinking and most hunting but personally I would not place them in the tack driver class as a good bolt action.

Another good point made is how much different the point of impact can be when switching brands and ammo types. A different rifle may give different results so trying several different brands helps giving optimum performance.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2022 at 9:33 AM, airedale said:

Watched this video this morning and it is a very good one and gives a pretty accurate analysis of 22 ammo 50 yard performance for accuracy, I have had just about the same results when bench testing the different brands.

A big player in the results of such tests is of course the firearm being used. The shooter looks to be using a standard Ruger 10/22, probably the most popular 22 rifle today. They shoot well enough for plinking and most hunting but personally I would not place them in the tack driver class as a good bolt action.

Another good point made is how much different the point of impact can be when switching brands and ammo types. A different rifle may give different results so trying several different brands helps giving optimum performance.

Al

i've shot Eley Sport, Aguila Standard Velocity Target, CCI Chootem, CCI Minimags, CCI Standard, and CCI AR Tactical out of my Ruger MarkIII bullseye pistol. I shoots the CCI Tactical within a single ragged hole well within the 10 ring on a Slow Fire NRA B-2 target. others open up a little. I shoot the other standard velocity stuff because it's less recoil and not high velocity. helps me get back on target better. so it's a trade off.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...