Seems like everyone is getting out of NY

Elmo

I'm pretty sure a good percentage of the so called mass exodus are retirees who's numbers are on the rise as baby boomers retire in ever increasing numbers, you cant blame them for wanting to stretch a fixed income buck. Most middleclass family types who are employed with decent jobs in NY aren't going nowhere.  I give credit to folks like Doc who can retire and still live in NY, theres a lot to be said for that, careful financial planning Im sure has a lot to do with it. Im hoping I can stay in NY after retirement myself because I really couldn't see living in the south that's been overrun by immigrants and other undesirables, not to mention oppressive heat for way too many months out of the year. Maybe a part time residence down south but never full time, my roots are in NY and Im not going to be drivin out by a schmuck like Cuomo.

Go south???? poisonous bugs and snakes oh my! I think not. You know as much as I hate and whine about the snow and cold, there are places that have even worse snow and cold. Those that don't have hurricanes as a regular weather feature or tornados, or earthquakes. Oh yes and then there is the oppressive heat and humidity that has you locked up in the air-conditioned house. When you consider the impacts of some of those weather events, I think I'll take some snow and cold. How about good old Alaska. There really isn't a more beautiful place in the world ...... in the summer, and during the daylight hours. But they also have unending nights, and some real snow that can lock you in for months (talk about cabin fever) and then there's the summer bugs that will literally drive you insane. A lot of places look great until you scrape the commercial tourist advertising off of them.

Look, I'm too old to try and get used to the stress of potential impending doom of life threatening weather events. And I know I will never get used to poisonous snakes and bugs. Maybe people who have been raised around such things can kind of shrug their shoulders and live with it all, but I really don't need such things in my life.....lol. Water moccasins, copperheads, rattlers, coral snakes, brown recluse spiders, black widows .... for crying out loud .... who the hell needs that?

We have a beautiful log home on 70 acres that has been in the family for over 150yrs but this area isn't the same anymore.30yrs ago we had had a number of industries where you could get a job.Most of those are gone now and now we are over run with welfare bums and drug addicts.4 or 5 times over the last few yrs we have received notices in the mail warning us of a sex offender living in the neighborhood and we have a 12yr old daughter.I know some will say it's like this everywhere but I believe there is better places to live and raise a family or retire with plenty of hunting ,fishing ,and other outdoor activities.As much as I love our home and property I'm thinking of retiring elsewhere.

NY is great if you can get past the..

High taxes

terrible politicians

restrictive gun laws

High taxes (yes that deserves a repeat)

A school system that buys I-pads and astro turf but fights giving special Ed to students in need.

Handout greedy losers

Tax on retirement

High Cost of living

Besides that it's GREAT!!! 

I'm out the first chance I get in the nest few years.

Grass is always greener... OVER THE SEPTIC TANK.

BYE!

(Is this all gut feeling or has ANYONE looked at numbers? per capita earning? water rights? Natural disaster rates? Go west young man get thrown in jail for placing a rain barrel...)

oh and sinkholes, gotta love the land opening up under you and sucking you down.

Edited by EspressoBuzz

Its all NY's fault the state is in the shape its in. The people keep voting the same lame politicians in every yr and giving away more and more of their rights. And from what Ive seen they arent getting anything back for it. Crime is still bad and getting worse I dont care what the trends say. We are now having atleast one stabbing or shooting a week here in Binghamton now. Use to be one a yr. Good Jobs are gone unless you work for the county or State or have a Masters Deg. Im leaving as soon as I can afford to. NY is a dump compaired to the other states Ive lived in.

• Like 2

Grass is always greener... OVER THE SEPTIC TANK.

BYE!

(Is this all gut feeling or has ANYONE looked at numbers? per capita earning? water rights? Natural disaster rates? Go west young man get thrown in jail for placing a rain barrel...)

oh and sinkholes, gotta love the land opening up under you and sucking you down.

Huh? No I made up all the stuff about the high taxes and stuff. And I don't know how the internet works so there is no way I can do a cost of living comparison or look at pay rates with in my global company I work for to compare that either. Lol

• Like 1

Doewhacker, on 25 Jan 2014 - 1:44 PM, said:

Huh? No I made up all the stuff about the high taxes and stuff. And I don't know how the internet works so there is no way I can do a cost of living comparison or look at pay rates with in my global company I work for to compare that either. Lol

Y'all need to get you some of that AL Gore invented internet so you can learn some stuff.

Just sayin'

For those of you in your thirties or forties....do you actually think there will be retirement funds available for you in the future?

State and municipal workers are looking to be in a worse state-off in terms of mismanagement and 'reallocated' funds and unfunded liabilities. And for those in defined contributions, 401ks and such like, we could very well be on the verge of a protracted period of seriously under-performing investment accounts.

Anyone wondering what they might do if the pots get emptied or seriously reduced in terms of final value? Is anyone recently retired been disappointed about the return on their years of investment? We could be staring into an unbridgeable funding gap 10 or 20 years from now. is this on anyone's radar?

Mapping America's Underfunded State Pension And Healthcare Liability Debacle

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/mapping-americas-underfunded-state-pension-and-healthcare-liability-debacle

Some serious fear mongering there. I'm not saying that it's not possible, but should we all just stop saving and contributing to our retirement funds? I've been contributing and been matched dollar for dollar 8% since I entered the work force at 23. At 30 it's a pretty nice chunk. Sure I could lose it all... But if I don't save then I end up with nothing? You have to take some chances in life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

First of all, I don't think this article is 100% accurate. I'm in the moving business and we move just as many people in to NY as we do out of state. I don't think people are flooding out of NY like this article implies. Second, nobody I have ever moved out of state ever mentioned that it was because of political issues or gun laws or anything like that. Most people who move to a different state do it for work or retirement. We all know that there is a lot of political BS that goes along with living here in NY but it's not driving herds of people across the border for greener pastures.  People move for financial reasons, not because they don't like the governor.

Some serious fear mongering there. I'm not saying that it's not possible, but should we all just stop saving and contributing to our retirement funds? I've been contributing and been matched dollar for dollar 8% since I entered the work force at 23. At 30 it's a pretty nice chunk. Sure I could lose it all... But if I don't save then I end up with nothing? You have to take some chances in life. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Right; what are we supposed to do?  Social Security (without significant changes) will collapse long before guys like us are old enough to draw from it so we're pretty much on our own.  If we don't accept some risk and put away for our own retirement no one else is going to.

First of all, I don't think this article is 100% accurate. I'm in the moving business and we move just as many people in to NY as we do out of state. I don't think people are flooding out of NY like this article implies. Second, nobody I have ever moved out of state ever mentioned that it was because of political issues or gun laws or anything like that. Most people who move to a different state do it for work or retirement. We all know that there is a lot of political BS that goes along with living here in NY but it's not driving herds of people across the border for greener pastures.  People move for financial reasons, not because they don't like the governor.

Do you normally give an "exit survey" so to speak of why people are moving, or does it normally just come up?  Just curious, not being argumentative.  Be interesting to see if it just hasn't made it down the pipeline yet and in the next few years you start to see more people moving due to the politics.  I know that several people in my family have started seriously researching and working towards leaving, it's just going to take us a couple years to make our plans final because we want to do it right and not rush in half-cocked.  I have to believe we're not the only ones.

Do you normally give an "exit survey" so to speak of why people are moving, or does it normally just come up?  Just curious, not being argumentative.  Be interesting to see if it just hasn't made it down the pipeline yet and in the next few years you start to see more people moving due to the politics.  I know that several people in my family have started seriously researching and working towards leaving, it's just going to take us a couple years to make our plans final because we want to do it right and not rush in half-cocked.  I have to believe we're not the only ones.

We always ask just to make conversation and be more personable with our customers. Not a policy or anything. But Doc makes a good point too. Maybe I was wrong about their stats being off (they are a much larger company than the one I work for) but I can tell you from my experience that no one I have ever moved has said it was for any kind of political reasons.

We always ask just to make conversation and be more personable with our customers. Not a policy or anything. But Doc makes a good point too. Maybe I was wrong about their stats being off (they are a much larger company than the one I work for) but I can tell you from my experience that no one I have ever moved has said it was for any kind of political reasons.

No, I do not think that politics is a big motivation for most. Hell, most people don't even think about politics or can even be bothered with such things. I'm convinced it's job offers and job opportunities in other parts of the country along with the shrinking of those opportunities here in this state. Also, it's no big secret that  a lot of retirees do head south. Also, there has been a highly publicized brain drain going on for decades where our children are getting educated here and then moving out to other states for the better jobs.

First of all, I don't think this article is 100% accurate. I'm in the moving business and we move just as many people in to NY as we do out of state. I don't think people are flooding out of NY like this article implies. Second, nobody I have ever moved out of state ever mentioned that it was because of political issues or gun laws or anything like that. Most people who move to a different state do it for work or retirement. We all know that there is a lot of political BS that goes along with living here in NY but it's not driving herds of people across the border for greener pastures. People move for financial reasons, not because they don't like the governor.

Census data is fact, not an opinion. It doesn't mean people are not also moving to NY, but that more are leaving than coming.

A lot of times it's not one thing that causes someone to move but a combination. Taxes, weather, politics, job opportunities.

Like most have said, it's generally family that keeps them put and others just simply grow to accept the taxes. I also don't think uprooting you and your family away from your family and friends is something just anyone can do. It's a tough decision that takes some balls. This I know first hand...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My 401k looks great. Over 30% in 2013, I have no complaints. I put the max in every year. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have too agree!!! My 403b increased roughly 25 percent this year. I have also started to invest in silver. Silver is down about 30 percent from where it was last year so it's definetely affordable! IMO it's a great investment if you have the time to start collecting now.

So with the 20% losses of 08 plus real CPI inflation at about 10/12 % over the same period you have about broken even in the last 4/5 years.

Also declining return over the next 2 years is looking to be the new norm.

False ! I started in 2009

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk