Hybrid Trout???

518BowSlayer

Looks like a tiger trout to me. I have seen a couple that were caught in tribs of the Cohocton River.

As kroot posted previously, it is brown/brook trout hybrid.

I have read that Mill Creek in NW Steuben County near Wayland has some also, but I have never caught one there.

So these are sterile hybrids that are kind of a put and take variety .... right? I wonder why they are messing around with those rather than stocking fish that have some potential for self-regeneration? I would think that would make more sense.

So these are sterile hybrids that are kind of a put and take variety .... right? I wonder why they are messing around with those rather than stocking fish that have some potential for self-regeneration? I would think that would make more sense.

The state does not want to weaken the genetics of wild trout by stocking genetically inferior hatchery trout. That is why they do NOT stock trout in waters that have good natural reproduction of wild trout. Stocked trout are stocked to be CAUGHT, just as game farm pheasants are stocked to be SHOT.

I don't recall any stocking of tiger trout...For awhile the state was stocking splake, which are a lake trout/brookie hybrid in selected waters. I don't know if they still stocking splake or not..

The tiger trout that I am referring to came out of waters which are NOT stocked..Mill Creek is a totally wild fishery of brook and brown trout...

The tribs of the Cohocton that I fish are not stocked, although there are no doubt holdover trout that were stocked in the main river that ascend and live in the tribs. There is also significant spawning of wild trout, both browns and brookies, in the tribs. The tiger trout here are the result of cross spawning of the two species.

Edited by Pygmy