New to Reloading

BKhunter

Wanted to start making my own rounds and really have no idea how to start. Does anyone have any recommendations on some good books to purchase? Would like to read about it first before I go out and buy a kit this way I know what I am getting myself into. Also any words of advise are much appreciated. Thanks all.

A great place to start is the Lyman 49th Addition Reloading handbook.  I have the 48th addition and find myself referring to it often.  I don't use much of the reloading data but use it as a reference.  The complete reloading instruction is very good.

Welcome to this site, take notes and keep your powder dry.

Chime in as often as possible, BK.

Wanted to start making my own rounds and really have no idea how to start. Does anyone have any recommendations on some good books to purchase? Would like to read about it first before I go out and buy a kit this way I know what I am getting myself into. Also any words of advise are much appreciated. Thanks all.

There's a few recent threads on reloading.

Here's what I found that helped me decide on what to get.

If you reload for handguns/plinking get yourself a turret style press like the Lee Classic Turret.

If you're like me and only plan on reloading for one caliber or for precision shooting, go with a single stage press or even a hand press like the Lee Breech Lock Challenger or hand press.

In terms of the kits, I opted to get the kit that has the perfect powder measure, because the auto disk powder measure isn't suitable for my loading purposes of large rifle charges.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Google could be your best friend,There are many good reloading websites out there as 6mm bench rest,accurate shooters and others that have good info. on many calibers and loads.I do not like Kits.But a good single stage press.Caliber specific dies.I weigh powder for every case on a digital scale, have some of the best powder measures out there and they still vary some.Buy New cases as Lapua,Norma,some Winchester are good,this way you know what you have.Primer pocket uniformer tool and flash hole deburrers. But as you said Check it out first.It might not be for you.  .

Get yourself a couple books. Hornady,Lyman,Speer,Nosler,Sierra,Berger, any of those. There is even a book out called the ABC's of reloading. I recommend RCBS products, very well made and their guarantee is second to none. What to get depends on what you will be reloading. What do you plan to load?

Get the suggested books and read them a couple times and then decide if you really want to get into it . You might find some reloading equipment on Craigs List . I have seen some good stuff there . A Lee Anniversary Outfit is a good starter kit and not expensive . You could expand from there .

Google could be your best friend,There are many good reloading websites out there as 6mm bench rest,accurate shooters and others that have good info. on many calibers and loads.I do not like Kits.But a good single stage press.Caliber specific dies.I weigh powder for every case on a digital scale, have some of the best powder measures out there and they still vary some.Buy New cases as Lapua,Norma,some Winchester are good,this way you know what you have.Primer pocket uniformer tool and flash hole deburrers. But as you said Check it out first.It might not be for you.  .

Google and the internet are great but for a beginner,  I'd say a newbie is better off with something they can hold in their hands and read and reread.  Unless the OP wants to print out all kinds of stuff from the web I'd say get the book.

Caliber specific dies, is there any thing else?

You sure as heck don't need a digital scale to reload......balance beam scales haven't blown anything or anybody yet.  And their accuracy is absolutely fine, no less accurate than any digital scale.

He sure doesn't need Lapua or Norma brass.  The price and availability isn't so good now, standard Remington or Winchester is fine.

Primer pocket uniformer and flash hole deburrer?  They're not necessary for most reloaders.

Just my not so humble opinion and observations.

I agree. Those things aren't needed for the basic reloader.

Basic reloading and Precision reloading are two very different things. I do both. My reloading procedures and equipment are different for my very accurate rifles that require very precise ammunition.

The average guy would be well served with the basic kits that are out there.

Read as much as possible and utilize internet resources to your advantage. I started out reading the reloading section in quite a few manuals and bought those manuals whose bullets I ended up using (Sierra, Nosler, Hornady)

One of the greatest assets as you're starting out is a mentor; someone you know in your area or from hunting camp who reloads and has been for quite a while. I had the opportunity to be taught by a few senior guys at camp who walked me through and explained every step. Additionaly they provided great insight on what you really need to get started and set up your bench if you choose to pursue reloading. Kits are great, you can't go wrong with RCBS, Hornady, Lee, etc. Everyone has their preferences, do your homework and see what may fit your needs and budget. I reload for hunting as well as target shooting; the same practices I use on my match rounds I apply to my hunting rounds. Investigate factory rounds your guns "like" to shoot and begin your journey of learning the reload process and tweaking the rounds you hand load.

Good luck, hope you find it as rewarding as I do.

I will say that if my Brother-in-law hadn't shown me how to reload, I probably wouldn't be reloading today. I'm willing to learn just about anything from a book, but when it comes to things that can blow up in my face, I prefer to have someone looking over my shoulder for the first few times that has done it before. If you don't have a mentor, or know anyone who could give you a hand and keep you from misunderstanding things that you read, this may be a good time to join your local rod & gun club and find some guys tat are willing to guide you along a bit.

In terms of the kits, I opted to get the kit that has the perfect powder measure, because the auto disk powder measure isn't suitable for my loading purposes of large rifle charges.

Just an FYI. The auto disk can do any short action like a 223 or 243 or 308. You just need the extension kit. I wouldn't use it for precision work but if I was going to the range to run some mags through an AR or something like that it works great.

Just an FYI. The auto disk can do any short action like a 223 or 243 or 308. You just need the extension kit. I wouldn't use it for precision work but if I was going to the range to run some mags through an AR or something like that it works great.

I don't have personal experience with it, but I read that even with the extra disks, the max charge is around 40-50 grains. I viewed it more for someone that shoots pistol and AR type that may care less about precision and more about volume.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I learned from my father in law.  many hours in his room before I ventured out and got my own equipment.  When he passed away, I got all of his equipment and supplies.  he lived next door to me at the time and was my neighbor long before he was my father in law.  Read all you can and if you decide to jump in, get the best you can afford.  I use lee equipment with no flaws.  My biggest upgrade was a digital powder scale.  What it has saved me in time and accuracy was well worth it.  I totally agree find someone to mentor you if possible. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...