frost seeding

yep....2 New areas and the one they have dug to dirt this winter will be frost seeded....

A note....this year we are surround by clover fields...well over 100 acres...but they are digging to dirt to in my very small clover plantings....I believe because of the Burnett in one...and the sainfoin in the other....

late winter has worked for me..when day temps are warming but night temps are still going below freezingUsually March...I'll lay down lime over the snow on plots then as well...watch long term forecasts...hhhhmmm not that that will work...Lol

PS Welter.seed...stupid kindle...

Edited by growalot

thanks for the info growalot.it just seems anything with the words deer or food plot attached to it is just overpriced marketing sales gimmicks.i'm just looking to get the best bang for my buck.i am also gonna try a small 1/4 acre area with the daikon radish to see how that works out

NO chemicals?  You just chopped it down? I never had much success doing it that way.  Keep it mowed under 6 inches that will stop a lot of the braodleafs but the grasses may overwhelm the clover.  

You can frost seed very soon and in early MAY(as soon as the grass starts growing and before you mow for the first time.... try Poast plus at 1.5 pints per acre. This herbicide  will kill grasses but not broadleafs....  Before the braodleafs get over 3 inches apply  2,4 D B (make sure it is NOT 2,4-D as that will kill clover)  

Whatever you do.....Go to your local ag store and ask a lot of questions. read the labels and be safe. Nothing you do is worth getting hurt over.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

well i got 10 lbs. of clover king from outside pride i'm hoping to frost seed by mid march,but i have 24 inches plus on the ground here in the poconos and my camp is 100 miles north of here,they probably have more snow cover.if we have a wet sloppy melt down will i still be able to first seed or will i have to wait till spring and till the ground?

Wet sloppy meltdown is fine.  The snow melts taking the seed to the ground. Then the freeze thaw cycle works so the seed makes firm contact with the soil and increasing germination.. So you can put it down anytime from now on.  The only caveat is if there is a flood which would take the seed out of the field.  Others may differ but it seems to work for me.  

BTW The deer are having some issues.  Here the snow is deep enough to cause real issues (the snow is up to the fawns bellies)  They are really starting to hit my soybean field hard (2.5 acres) that I left standing.  The top beans are all gone and they have to paw through the snow to get to the rest of the beans. If a really hard crust forms......they will expend a lot of energy getting to the food. At the current rate they are hitting the field, the food will all be gone by mid March.  That's cutting it close but those that make it to the field will do fine.  Let's hope we get a slow thaw without a flood or heavy crusting which would allow the coyotes to ability to reek havoc on the fawns. 

A lot melted today but there was at least 20 inches on the ground last weekend.  The snow settles quickly and it turns into a snow cone like consistency  (# 6 shot) where my 90 hp tractor does not touch the ground.  The dogs hate this as snow gets between their paws and turns into ice.  With any luck it will settle down to less than a foot in a day or so.  Then we worry about flooding.

• 4 weeks later...

I would say enough snow has gone to allow frost seeding. There is still snow in the woods. However, the south facing field slopes are 90% clear. The flats (valley floors) have a thin layer but  you can seed right over it.  The melting snow will send it to the ground quite nicely without issue.  This is probably the easiest time to do that seeding now then when the ground thaws leaving you in mud. Doing it now before mud season allows you to get this part of your planting done before you make yourself crazy on weekends during the height of spring planting season.

good luck

• Like 1

Frost seeding actually refers to planting in late fall early winter frost/early snow rather than late winter/early spring. The seed's overwintering time in the snow actually helps scarify the seed coat, improving germination %. Not all seeds require scarification- for some it helps others it is required and others it makes no difference. Legumes notoriously have a hard seed coat and benefit from extra moisture and abrasion from winter freeze thaw. Late fall early winter planting maximizes this and late winter snow melt then helps embibed/scarified seeds get essential seed to soil contact in early spring. Killing off undesirable vegetation the prior year is beneficial (e.g mow or spray) but plowing up a long buried seed bank full of weed seeds not advised. Fresh growth in late fall is most nutritious so plan on a cutting or two to maximize fall attraction. Foodplot 101 - by ringwood.

• 4 weeks later...