.308 ammo or 7.62x59

Hello, Just wondering and i know i will catch hell for not knowing this prior to purchasing the gun but i have to ask.....

Can I use the 7.62x59 NATO round in my .308 rifle. I just purchased the gun, well i traded up my shotgun for it as i wanted more long range. I have heard you can use the NATO round and then i hear you can not.... any help here will be great....

Does the NATO rounds in 7.62 have tho same increased pressure issues over a 308 that you run into with the 5.56?

According to most info available the .308 round is hotter than the NATO 7.62 round.  The concern is usually going to a military style weapon and using .308 and not 7.62 NATO which it was designed for.

I have personally shot .308 and 7.62 NATO out of current production bolt actions as well as a break open T/C .308 single shot.  The only issue I had was the 7.62 was a bit tighter thus making it more difficult to extract from the T/C, in the bolt action absolutely no difference was felt.

According to most info available the .308 round is hotter than the NATO 7.62 round.  The concern is usually going to a military style weapon and using .308 and not 7.62 NATO which it was designed for.

I have personally shot .308 and 7.62 NATO out of current production bolt actions as well as a break open T/C .308 single shot.  The only issue I had was the 7.62 was a bit tighter thus making it more difficult to extract from the T/C, in the bolt action absolutely no difference was felt.

I did a bit of reading this morning and I see what you mean. Apparently the 308 and the 7.62 don't have the chamber and pressure variations that the 5.56 and 223 have. Great to know since I have a 308.

not saying you cant but DO NOT USE 7.62 Mil Spec ammo in your hunting rifle...its made for Mil Spec rifles....for one its FMJ..Full Metal Jacket

You want .308 Win ammo....there are options galore for hunting loads. My personal favorite is the 150 grain nosler partition, but they are a little pricey. Rem Core Loc is a tried and true hunting round on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

not saying you cant but DO NOT USE 7.62 Mil Spec ammo in your hunting rifle...its made for Mil Spec rifles....for one its FMJ..Full Metal Jacket

You want .308 Win ammo....there are options galore for hunting loads. My personal favorite is the 150 grain nosler partition, but they are a little pricey. Rem Core Loc is a tried and true hunting round on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

I reload all my hunting ammo (Sierras).  But the mil spec stuff is fine for plinking, agreed on the no hunting with it. It can be used in the rifles though from everything I have read. Do you have other documentation that shows otherwise?

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

I reload all my hunting ammo (Sierras).  But the mil spec stuff is fine for plinking, agreed on the no hunting with it. It can be used in the rifles though from everything I have read. Do you have other documentation that shows otherwise?

Culver I agree that it can be used in any .308 chambered rifle but whatever is stamped on the barrel of the gun is what you should go with....guessing that 99+% of Mil Spec rifles are stamped 7.62 and 99+% of hunting rifles are stamped .308.

Some of the cheaper military ammo has laquer coating and has been known to gum up receivers. The OP wasn't clear on whether they intended on using as a game round so enter my .02. I don't have any documentation that says you cant and the .308 is a hotter round than the 7.62.....I know that it is not recommended to use .308 in a 7.62 stamped barrel

I know that it is not recommended to use .308 in a 7.62 stamped barrel

How do you come to know this? That is what I am asking.  From everything I have seen on this. (limited to today because of this thread) Never mind....just came across a few articles. As to the Op's question then. the Mil spec should be fine in his 308

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

How do you come to know this? That is what I am asking.  From everything I have seen on this. (limited to today because of this thread) I don't see anything that indicates the barrel pressures or OAL of the chambers vary like they do for the 5.56.. To the contrary I see articles that say they are very interchangeable.

Culver...from what I know the headspace is different between the .308 & 7.62....I know from being around shooters, not hobbyists using Mil Spec rifles that they would never shoot .308 out of a 7.62 Mil Spec rifle...as far as barrel pressures .308 is rated to 62,000 & 7.62 ...50,000