Best caliber for girlfriend?

518BowSlayer

I am not a guy who has shot a whole lot of rifles, but recently I was looking for a caliber for a rifle to use here in Ontario County. This past season was our first one where they allowed rifles rather than shotgun only. Recoils was a big deal for me because I wanted to be able to spend some time at the bench doing some intense target practice with it. What I wound up with after a whole lot of research and question-asking, was the American Ruger in .270 caliber. It is not exactly like shooting a .22, but there is almost no perceptible recoil. I can shoot that gun all day and never feel any kind of pain. And yet judging by the damage inflicted on the 2 deer that I shot, I have to say that I was impressed at what was going on at the business end. In fact, one of the deer may have suffered a bit of overkill as there was some meat lost. It was a "quartering to" kind of shot and the bullet entered the front shoulder and exited the rear ham. Probably not a very well thought out shot selection, but I really didn't expect the bullet to go that far diagonally through the deer.

But anyway, I think the caliber selection was quite perfect. I have no doubt that it would really do a number on a bear. And here in NYS, that's about all it has to do.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Have you decided on a caliber? Im 5'6 and not a delicate girl...i had prior experience with the 20g and .22. I used chuck hawks to help me decide few years ago. I decided on the .270 Remington. I have no trouble holding it and the recoil is fine.

If she has no problem with a 20 ga. with turkey loads, she should be able to handle most rifles.  Keep this in mind, and we all can probably attest to this, when your shooting at a deer or whatever, you don't realize the gun had any recoil, or even hear the BANG!

If she has no problem with a 20 ga. with turkey loads, she should be able to handle most rifles. Keep this in mind, and we all can probably attest to this, when your shooting at a deer or whatever, you don't realize the gun had any recoil, or even hear the BANG!

While that is true, when you have a good that is too much recoil for the shooter to handle, they don't practice at the range as much and often don't even sight it in properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While that is true, when you have a good that is too much recoil for the shooter to handle, they don't practice at the range as much and often don't even sight it in properly.

That is why when I went looking for a deer rifle, recoil was a prime factor in my choice. I always hated the fact that my old Ithaca 12 gauge beat me up so bad that I only took about 5 shots a year off the bench just to ensure it was still sighted in. Really, I think a person should shoot fairly regularly with their deer gun and have complete familiarity with it. Recoil will definitely make a difference in shooting frequency. Now, I actually drag my .270 out a lot ..... just for fun.

I can't argue with that guys.  Target practice should be fun, not a chore.  I have to admit I dread pulling out my 12ga. deer gun shooting those sabot slugs, geez they give a whallop.  But after that I can shoot my '06 all day long, that's just me.