Upstate new york should secede from NYC

12 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Technically, youre correct but Youre missing the point, Lefty; regardless of who owns it, its UPSTATE LAN.   only reason it was sold to NYC is so they could have clean drinking water . In comparison, China is buying up property all over the US, so technically, its Chinese soil now; does that really make it chinese though? I mean, should it be regarded as equivalent to Manchuria? I think not....

Id be inclined to take the 30% if it would rid us of the inextricable financial burden-and , of course the woke politics- associated with that cesspool known as NYC.  

Well as long as I'm technically correct that having my name on a deed means it's my property, I guess you're welcome to whatever point you're trying to make.

But to correct you on another point, the land was BOUGHT by NYC to ensure clean water. It was SOLD to NYC by people who wanted that big city money.

I've never understood the NYC hatred. It's the only world-class city in the USA and a hell of a cool place to live and hang out. I talk to people up here who have never been to the city and we're only three hours away. It really boggles my mind. 

6 minutes ago, left field said:

Well as long as I'm technically correct that having my name on a deed means it's my property, I guess you're welcome to whatever point you're trying to make.

But to correct you on another point, the land was BOUGHT by NYC to ensure clean water. It was SOLD to NYC by people who wanted that big city money.

I've never understood the NYC hatred. It's the only world-class city in the USA and a hell of a cool place to live and hang out. I talk to people up here who have never been to the city and we're only three hours away. It really boggles my mind. 

Come on lefty , you’re a smart guy , my points pretty obvious , aint it ? Don’t care who’s name is on the deed, geographically , it’s upstate land !

Who hates NYC? City’s fine sans the woke liberal politics :D 

12 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Come on lefty , you’re a smart guy , my points pretty obvious , aint it ? Don’t care who’s name is on the deed, geographically , it’s upstate land !

Look forward to visiting your deeded home.

11 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

I would never live there though …. D:

I can understand that. I'm from a small town in Canada so the idea that I got to live in NYC for 22 years is still pretty cool to me. The last 11 have been in a PH apt with views of the Empire State and Chrysler Buildings, as well as Central Park. I was very lucky.

But unless you have stupid money, the city is really for young people. I was in Brooklyn last week and walked into some dive bar filled with 20-30 year olds having the time of their lives.

Anyway, I traded this:

F008D952-54F1-4D33-9D98-A76E1FDAFECC_1_201_a.jpeg.15a8b4f3128941e97feed06e01d7069a.jpeg

for this:

2FF49787-C960-48A1-9AF0-1EC87A6F1731_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.1b58529fe8ad9e6862258fd3527cbea6.jpeg

Works for me.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, left field said:

I talk to people up here who have never been to the city and we're only three hours away. It really boggles my mind. 

I've never been to NYC, and I have no desire to go there. I despise large crowds and congestion.  Not sure why it boggles your mind when you traded that life for the one you have now. If it's so great, why didn't you stay?

From what I read and see on the news, my definition of world class and yours differ greatly. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, left field said:

Look forward to visiting your deeded home.

I can understand that. I'm from a small town in Canada so the idea that I got to live in NYC for 22 years is still pretty cool to me. The last 11 have been in a PH apt with views of the Empire State and Chrysler Buildings, as well as Central Park. I was very lucky.

But unless you have stupid money, the city is really for young people. I was in Brooklyn last week and walked into some dive bar filled with 20-30 year olds having the time of their lives.

Anyway, I traded this:

F008D952-54F1-4D33-9D98-A76E1FDAFECC_1_201_a.jpeg.15a8b4f3128941e97feed06e01d7069a.jpeg

for this:

2FF49787-C960-48A1-9AF0-1EC87A6F1731_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.1b58529fe8ad9e6862258fd3527cbea6.jpeg

Works for me.

Now you’re talkin!! Very nice :)

It’ll never happen . But I’d be ok with it if it did . My time there is limited, been a few times , daughter lived there briefly and I spent a month training at FDNY Fort Totten . Went home every weekend on the earliest flight I could get . I truly felt sorry for FDNY guys they made a bit more money , but cost of living hit them hard , while we lived in nice  homes with big yards ,  pools , drove new pickups , had boats, snowmobiles etc . 

Lowes ,two Wegmans , all kinds of other stores, golf courses, parks , Lake Ontario all five minutes from my home , our 116 acres is 30 miles away . I’m good . It’s a nice place to visit , but I have zero desire to ever again do so .

Now I’ll probably have nightmares about it tonight , thanks .

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mowin said:

I've never been to NYC, and I have no desire to go there. I despise large crowds and congestion.  Not sure why it boggles your mind when you traded that life for the one you have now. If it's so great, why didn't you stay?

From what I read and see on the news, my definition of world class and yours differ greatly. 

I left because I have just enough time for another chapter or two and I have done my NYC time. Bought a house in Mexico and will spend winters there. Here, there and travel to fish. 

Museums, restaurants, galleries, bars, culture, cool people, street vibe - NYC has it all. A quiet country life is wonderful, but it ain't "world class." 

18 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Now you’re talkin!! Very nice :)

Thanks.

The Mexico place. This should be fun.

42E964FA-9FD5-46E9-8A54-5B929D98BB5C_1_201_a.jpeg.ae35ae628d568833f9cdd857281416c5.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Nomad said:

It’ll never happen . But I’d be ok with it if it did . My time there is limited, been a few times , daughter lived there briefly and I spent a month training at FDNY Fort Totten . Went home every weekend on the earliest flight I could get . I truly felt sorry for FDNY guys they made a bit more money , but cost of living hit them hard , while we lived in nice  homes with big yards ,  pools , drove new pickups , had boats, snowmobiles etc.

Lowes ,two Wegmans , all kinds of other stores, golf courses, parks , Lake Ontario all five minutes from my home , our 116 acres is 30 miles away . I’m good . It’s a nice place to visit , but I have zero desire to ever again do so .

I grew up on Lake Ontario, so pretty good when it comes to that experience. 

Big box and grocery stores are convenient to have, but I'm after a different vibe. 

Just sing the Green Acres theme song and you'll be fine.

"Keep Manhattan just give me that countryside!"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, left field said:

They killed my aunt there few weeks ago in one of your grand nyc heathcare   Hospitals and it was not fun fighting traffic to go there to watch her die from a infection  Because they messed up . But they cured her cancer .  And that supposedly is like the best hospital in the city in the country they say .  Mount Sinai West.  They said she would be home in a week :( instead she spent  56 days fighting infection before she  Passed away.

Edited by phantom

Ok ... I escaped NYC back in '83 and never looked back . I have Deer in the back yard and an occasional Bear . I could hunt off the back deck but choose not too , I own a little over 20 acres 30 minutes from the house which Family has owned since 1973 . I simply could not afford to move back to NYC and dread going there ... except to go on a Cruise !

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Touche!!

Well, if accurate, it would be the paragon of mass psychosis, wouldnt it? You see the size of that crowd ? No way any Democrat could ever attract a crowd like that, not in 3 election cycles, right ? :rofl:

Crowd size? Lol.. Democrats don’t drive around with  political flags in their trucks either. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nomad said:

It’ll never happen . But I’d be ok with it if it did . My time there is limited, been a few times , daughter lived there briefly and I spent a month training at FDNY Fort Totten . Went home every weekend on the earliest flight I could get . I truly felt sorry for FDNY guys they made a bit more money , but cost of living hit them hard , while we lived in nice  homes with big yards ,  pools , drove new pickups , had boats, snowmobiles etc . 

Lowe’s,  Lol. Well at least you’re not talking about your 401k again 

24 minutes ago, BizCT said:

26a79b728badbaf22196ddfbc0b50ba6.jpg

But they were masks in their vehicles!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Incels and Trump voters are clearly one and the same. 
Fun link: https://www.salon.com/2022/09/22/maga-and-the-incels-latest-jan-6-arrests-show-how-fascists-target-insecure-young-men/

Edited by Versatile_Hunter

17 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Technically, youre correct but Youre missing the point, Lefty; regardless of who owns it, its UPSTATE LAN.   only reason it was sold to NYC is so they could have clean drinking water . In comparison, China is buying up property all over the US, so technically, its Chinese soil now; does that really make it chinese though? I mean, should it be regarded as equivalent to Manchuria? I think not....

Id be inclined to take the 30% if it would rid us of the inextricable financial burden-and , of course the woke politics- associated with that cesspool known as NYC.  

Succeed will never happen based on many points already raised.  A foreign government owning land in our country/state does not make it sovereign land of that country, unlike an embassy. 

Also missing is the legal concept of eminent domain. If the government (NYS) wants the land, they will get it.  This all plays out in the legal world.  Long Island is geographically an island but cannot succeed from NYS because a (long long time ago) law exists basically declaring LI part of mainland NYS due to the bridges connecting it.  I'm sure the same is true for Manhattan. 

Yes, the legal world works that way.  Remember, the weather event Sandy?  The meteorologists (science) declared it a superstorm.  NYS Governor at the time, legally declared it a hurricane.  This was so that victims of the event would receive better insurance coverage.  Any claims that ended up in court had the insurance companies dealing with a hurricane event. 

The legal world, where all this would have to take place, works that way. 

17 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Succeed will never happen based on many points already raised.  A foreign government owning land in our country/state does not make it sovereign land of that country, unlike an embassy. 

Also missing is the legal concept of eminent domain. If the government (NYS) wants the land, they will get it.  This all plays out in the legal world.  Long Island is geographically an island but cannot succeed from NYS because a (long long time ago) law exists basically declaring LI part of mainland NYS due to the bridges connecting it.  I'm sure the same is true for Manhattan. 

Yes, the legal world works that way.  Remember, the weather event Sandy?  The meteorologists (science) declared it a superstorm.  NYS Governor at the time, legally declared it a hurricane.  This was so that victims of the event would receive better insurance coverage.  Any claims that ended up in court had the insurance companies dealing with a hurricane event. 

The legal world, where all this would have to take place, works that way.