Bagged a new lease for 14/15

Meat Manager

It seems like finding and securing a lease is about as difficult as finding and harvesting a mature buck.

I passed on renewing my 7f lease so I could get something within 15 mins, and more diverse and thicker woods.

So I've been hunting hard for a lease for about a full month...had several slip away and also the normal blow-offs from disinterested hunting lease company reps.

Despite all the setbacks I signed today on 25 wooded acres mixed species and mixed maturity only 15 minutes from my house and still in 7j.

post-1622-13918053093822_thumb.jpg

post-1622-13918053376154_thumb.jpg

Adjacent to 90+ acres agriculture, it has two thick pines stands, overgrown thick orchards, three ridges, and well established mature hardwoods sloping down to a very thick immature hardwood stand.

qy8ymazy.jpgdebuzuja.jpgusa9apuq.jpgamynupyq.jpg

Also we have permission to use it recreationally all year with a campsite for my new little trailer my wife and I just purchased:

post-1622-13918059669564_thumb.jpg

post-1622-13918056873156_thumb.jpg

Tons of sign, bumped 6 first time i walked it...good diversity of cover and the landowner is going to brush hog me an acre for a Foodplot, I am really pumped:

post-1622-13918060574184_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post-1622-13918060829495_thumb.jpg

Edited by Meat Manager
  • Like 3

Thanks...

Today I pulled my treestands and molded plastic posted signs off last years lease...marched the boundary and had to double back several times for stands through 12-15" of snow...I am beat.

I'll be posting my new lease ASAP, but I hope the snow packs down a bit on the meantime.

Got out and posted the new lease, 2 straight days of boundary work in deep snow is keeping me in dragging shape:post-1622-13919825382012_thumb.jpgpost-1622-13919825495777_thumb.jpg

Found a few clear spots that may do well as small food plots:

post-1622-13919826185458_thumb.jpg7y5evuse.jpg

Also found a seem of mature hardwoods in the middle of my first pine stand and just above my first ridge:post-1622-13919827277267_thumb.jpgpost-1622-139198274764_thumb.jpgpost-1622-13919827603776_thumb.jpg

post-1622-13919826637725_thumb.jpg

Edited by Meat Manager
  • Like 1

What's the cost if you dont mind me asking...I am seriously considering a lease due to all of the hassles we had this year with other people.

Last year I overpaid @ almost $50/acre on a lease about 45 mins away that I only had hunting rights on and that was more than half ag fields and didn't have thick enough stuff to hold deer. I still harvested 4 deer off of it, but only a couple of mature deer.

This year I paid a little over $40/acre but it is nearly fully wooded with tons of diversity in terms of topography, as well as timber species, thickness and maturity.

It is still adjacent to ag, but most importantly I have 4 season recreational/camping rights to the property and can put in food plots as I please. Also it is only 15 minutes away. If not for these options I would not have went over $30/acre.

If this works out this year we will probably begin an owner financed purchase of this property, so it's pretty much lease to own.

Ive tried the hunting lease sites and timber co's and have been blown off and ignored.

Both of my lease experiences are through private land owners I met on Craigslist. Once replying to an ad and once placing a wanted ad. I suggest placing an ad because the for-lease listings go really fast.

This link is to a site that filters ny Craigslist results for land and leases:

http://www.trophyhuntleases.com/index.php/component/newsfeeds/newsfeed/35-new-york-craigslist-leases

I wrote both leases myself to fit everyones needs based on a number of sample leases. Lots of benefits to this arrangement.

Edited by Meat Manager

Me and the dogs finished posting the boundary at the lease today, flushed quite a few birds...5 treestands on or within 15 yards of the boundary...2 facing in toward my lease, needless to say I posted heavy at those spots:

post-1622-13920657755255_thumb.jpg

I also found a ladder stand in nice shape in the center of the parcel...probably from the previous owner of the property, mine now:post-1622-13920658614081_thumb.jpg

Also found this bee keeping hive and another great rub...looking forward to some shed hunting when the snow gets manageable:post-1622-13920659476737_thumb.jpgpost-1622-13920659638271_thumb.jpg

Feels great to be in the woods!

Edited by Meat Manager

wife gave me permission to buy some property mostly for camping with the family and building a little getaway cabin for us. prolly wont exceed 10 acres but I was hoping to get lucky and find a nice one for hunting as well

leasing first sounds pretty good thanks for the idea. just cant figure on jersey or new York. two to three hour drive to jersy or 3 to 5 hours upstate.

wondering how much you figuring on paying for that if you decide to buy?

I don't want to get into total price tag but I will say that we are trying to budget for about a $400/month payment for a specific period.

Here is a Jersey company that does an interesting lease auction, no renews all properties come back up for auction in may: http://thompsonmanagementllc.com/

Edited by Meat Manager

Thanks all!

@Ford: Because we have not actually finished negotiating the price...this years experience will help determine if the owner and I can get together on price.

Right now we agree the property is within the same ballpark figure...so if all goes well this year then we will move foreward.

Edited by Meat Manager

• 4 weeks later...

That's sick, congrats on the lease, looks like a solid spot and not to mention extremely convenient in terms of distance!!

That's also a great idea looking into lease to buy options, utilize this year as a trial run and from there see what comes about.

Best if luck this year!!

• 4 weeks later...

Still haven't found a shed on the new lease but I've got pics of bald deer, coyotes and I've got a dead 5 point less than 15 yds from a treestand right on my boundary:

post-1622-13968177980542_thumb.jpg

post-1622-13968178117182_thumb.jpg

post-1622-13968178309933_thumb.jpg

Edited by Meat Manager

• 4 weeks later...
Very good, I see people lease a bit on this site, do you think you could secure a long term lease? 1 Year at a time seems to be a big hassle...

I rushed into my first lease last year, I loved the farmer/owner but the land just couldn't hold deer.

I got into this years with a strong potential to buy sometime between now and the end of the lease term.

I'm already sick of looking for land for lease or to purchase... I'm liking this lease property so far so we will see.

I know some lease companies do 3,5 or even 10 year leases.

Edited by Meat Manager