Dead / during ash near my box blind

luberhill

There is a fairly large ash that almost completely dead behind my box blind.

There is no way to got a tree truck to the spot . I wouldn’t want it to fall on my blind or me.

I can’t really move the blind so the only thing I see to do is drop the tree.

Do these trees usually fall shortly after dying ?

Id like to wait till after hunting season to find someone to drop it

6 hours ago, luberhill said:

There is a fairly large ash that almost completely dead behind my box blind.

There is no way to got a tree truck to the spot . I wouldn’t want it to fall on my blind or me.

I can’t really move the blind so the only thing I see to do is drop the tree.

Do these trees usually fall shortly after dying ?

Id like to wait till after hunting season to find someone to drop it

they stand along time, however if your able to drop it after season they also make great firewood. 

• Like 1

First chance I get, after deer season ends on January 2023, I am going to drop this one.  It is supporting a 4 ft high platform on one end (two 3” steel pipes hold up the other end), from which I killed a big doe in September. 

That was the first deer that I killed from that stand, which was up for about 5 years.  I was going to take it down, but now I want to keep it.  My plan is to cut the dead ash tree, about 3 ft above the platform.  

I think a plastic 5 gallon bucket will fit over the end of the stump.  That should slow down the water absorption from that end and hopefully make it last a little longer.  I’d like to get 20 or 30 more years out of that stand, or until I am ready for a wheelchair. 

That upturned bucket will make a great gun/crossbow rest for shooting towards my best foodplots.  Much of the bushes, that I need to trim up each year, around that “natural blind” are poison ivy.  

Some say that poison ivy is is a preferred forage for deer.  Maybe so, because that doe was only a 10 yards shot and her smaller “scout” got to within 5 yards.  Maybe they stopped by for an appetizer on their way to the corn plot.  Back strap momma got more than she expected, with 240 gr of lead thru the heart. 

F88DF639-73AE-4D33-91EE-F310353F85BA.thumb.jpeg.5b364004388d1525719c6f4141b695f8.jpeg

14ABBEA0-865B-4D4A-953B-A724CD6F2D3D.thumb.jpeg.0a001f6c92114651a4e174777e9b9f92.jpeg

a lot of times they just fall apart when being cut. One of the bigger arborist firms has forbidden its men trom climbing because of that threat.

Just got back from a trip to Wyoming. Dead ash from NY through Nebraska and South Dakota. Huge amounts of Poison Ivy and Virginia Creeper colonizing the dead ash trees.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wolc123 said:

First chance I get, after deer season ends on January 2023, I am going to drop this one.  It is supporting a 4 ft high platform on one end (two 3” steel pipes hold up the other end), from which I killed a big doe in September. 

That was the first deer that I killed from that stand, which was up for about 5 years.  I was going to take it down, but now I want to keep it.  My plan is to cut the dead ash tree, about 3 ft above the platform.  

I think a plastic 5 gallon bucket will fit over the end of the stump.  That should slow down the water absorption from that end and hopefully make it last a little longer.  I’d like to get 20 or 30 more years out of that stand, or until I am ready for a wheelchair. 

That upturned bucket will make a great gun/crossbow rest for shooting towards my best foodplots.  Much of the bushes, that I need to trim up each year, around that “natural blind” are poison ivy.  

Some say that poison ivy is is a preferred forage for deer.  Maybe so, because that doe was only a 10 yards shot and her smaller “scout” got to within 5 yards.  Maybe they stopped by for an appetizer on their way to the corn plot.  Back strap momma got more than she expected, with 240 gr of lead thru the heart. 

F88DF639-73AE-4D33-91EE-F310353F85BA.thumb.jpeg.5b364004388d1525719c6f4141b695f8.jpeg

14ABBEA0-865B-4D4A-953B-A724CD6F2D3D.thumb.jpeg.0a001f6c92114651a4e174777e9b9f92.jpeg

that green vine like stuff leaves makes great TP

• Haha 1

I had 47 ash trees in my yard , removed half and treat half, the neighborhood is full of them . 

It’s a big depends on how long it stands . There’s a ton of dead ones behind us some are still standing , some fell . Across the street same lots of dead ones, one fell just missing his house .

Theres no way I’d take a chance . My neighbor had three on the property line and they scared me every wind storm , as they were within striking distance of our house .

Most tree companies won’t climb dead trees ,as well .

I had 47 ash trees in my yard , removed half and treat half, the neighborhood is full of them . 

It’s a big depends on how long it stands . There’s a ton of dead ones behind us some are still standing , some fell . Across the street same lots of dead ones, one fell just missing his house .
Theres no way I’d take a chance . My neighbor had three on the property line and they scared me every wind storm , as they were within striking distance of our house .
Most tree companies won’t climb dead trees ,as well .
Because 99% of the time they can get a lift in the area and keep their guys much safer. But when a climber or lift is needed.....the price begins to go up.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

i would drop it to the right and not back into all the crap. you run the risk of creating a widow maker and/or having the butt come back into the blind. i'd get my treestand steps or sticks with a harness and double lineman's belts. also get my 16' pole saw. trim all the smaller stuff off on the side over your blind that won't drop and wreck it. it'll add up to a lot of weight. then use the pole saw to reach out and take the bigger limb down in small sections. tie a rope or chain to the base just so it doesn't have room to shift toward the blind once it hits the ground. then i'd fell it in that direction to the right of the blind. if you're not comfortable doing any of it I wouldn't. if you are, might as well save some money. it could take me all week and it'd be like making $100 or more per day.

As was said, if it recently succumbed it might stand for years.  Look at the very base of the tree.  Is there rot?  This is where many or most ash trees will fail.  Then look up the trunk for any obvious decay, fungus, etc.  I would stay out of that blind on windy days.  I think it would cost a small fortune to have a professional arborist come in with a lift or even using ropes.  I would have it dealt with after the season, the longer you wait the more difficult it will be to predict the results, even with a good tree guy. 

I was hunting near Ossian,NY this weekend.  It was very sad to see all the dead ash trees.  We are not seeing it as much near the lake in Oswego and Cayuga counties.  But I guess it is just a matter of time.  There are lots of ash saplings still.  I wonder if things will go like they did for the native chestnut tree.

Ash trees after being girdled by ash borers stop producing leaves and you'll see the bark start blonding. Once the bark starts to flake off be careful. A good breeze snaps them 10-15ft from the ground. The process can happen in as little as 2-3 yrs. Ash trees aren't like other hardwoods, Oak, Maple which stand forever after dying. I have Ash coming outta my ash on my property. Cut about 100 plus in the last year or so.