Most Versatile Caliber for NY Hunting?

CFD914

Are 22-250 or 25-06 rounds easy to find? I haven't begun looking but was curious Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they're some what isolated from this ammo shortage as with other stuff like 30-06.  however, it's my opinion that 22-250 is way easier to find than 25-06.

• Like 1

dbHunterNY Thanks for the heads up, I like the 22-250, compared to that of the 223. I have just been finding steel 223 which I hear isn't too good Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You sure? I was at Gander a month ago and there was a pallet load of 223 50 grain FMJ selling for $7 a box (of 20 rounds).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it's all in what you want to do.  going to a 22-250 or 223 isn't really big enough for big game like deer. better for varmints like coyote and woodchuck though.  if having fun shooting targets at the range is your thing, 223 55gr FMJ ammo is cheap.  cheap even with brass cases, but a FMJ (full metal jacket) is not designed to hunt animals with.  keep in mind ammo that says 5.56 isn't meant for a rifle chambered for 223.  however, you can shoot 223 ammo in a 5.56 chambered rifle.

Sounds like from the conversation there are many great calibers that will cater to your needs.

I guess with no limits,

22 for range and squirrel/hare

223 for coyote/varmint

243 or 270 for mid size to larger game

30-06 for deer and more

12ga for everything with varying chokes

Thanks everyone for input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like from the conversation there are many great calibers that will cater to your needs. I guess with no limits, 22 for range and squirrel/hare 223 for coyote/varmint 243 or 270 for mid size to larger game 30-06 for deer and more 12ga for everything with varying chokes Thanks everyone for input Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That pretty much sums it up.  Deer is considered by most to be a mid size game.

Another way to look at it is that it generally takes around 800 ft/lbs (depending on who you ask) of energy to kill a deer.  Some calibers can produce high amounts of energy at closer ranges but because of poor aerodynamics, the bullet loses a lot of energy while in flight and drops below 800 ft/lbs at certain ranges.  While other may start out at a lower amount of energy, they are much more aerodynamic that a longer distances, they still retain enough energy to take a deer.  Look at the ballistic data of each caliber and it'll help you determine what caliber suits you as well as what is the distance limit of that caliber.

Bullet selection is very important as well.  Don't use a bullet that is intended for varmints (breaks up easily) on larger game.  Larger game requires bullets that holds together longer to allow deeper penetration.

Edited by Elmo
  • Like 2

Sounds like from the conversation there are many great calibers that will cater to your needs.I guess with no limits,22 for range and squirrel/hare223 for coyote/varmint243 or 270 for mid size to larger game30-06 for deer and more12ga for everything with varying chokes Thanks everyone for inputSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You forgot to mention the 300 win mag, 7mm rem mag, and the .338 Lapua. There's plenty of guys that use those for deer sized game here in NYS. You don't want to be offending them now. I'm sure someone with a 50BMG will chime in too!

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

I am sold on the 30-06 with going to many different sports shops, both local and chain, and gun shops, and it is the 30-06 that is most common and most loads.

Do you have a particular brand or weight?

I have seen Remington with their Power Lokt and Core Lokt, in many grains, and the Winchester Power-Point in similar grains.

I would like a round suitable for deer.

• Like 1

I am sold on the 30-06 with going to many different sports shops, both local and chain, and gun shops, and it is the 30-06 that is most common and most loads.

Do you have a particular brand or weight?

I have seen Remington with their Power Lokt and Core Lokt, in many grains, and the Winchester Power-Point in similar grains.

I would like a round suitable for deer.

I like American whitetail by hornady use it in my .243 for the price point that they sell at (21.99-27.99) hard to beat. Also they are available to me more often then other manufacturers
  • Like 1

For mid sized game ( deer/antelope)  on up,  a 30-06 ( WITH APPROPRIATE BULLETS) is never a bad choice  for any North American Game..

It may be BORING as hell, but it will get the job done. <<grin>>...

Until just a few years ago I never would have agreed with the statement above. 

I do now.  It does just flat out get the job done for anything in North America.  Say what you want about a brown bear and a 30-06 but I'll bet there isn't a guide out there that wouldn't welcome you to camp packing a '06 and some premium 200gr bullets.

But I digress.  Not many of us will ever hunt big bears, but that 30-06 will handle any other big game here in NYS no problem.

So if you want one gun to do it ALL, grab a 30-06.

(It'll be boring as hell and soon you'll be jonesing for a 257 Roberts or 6mm Ackley. B) )

• Like 2

Boring? Sorry still learning. Because of price per round? Or is it for other reasons? Thanks

Nothing special about the '06. It's been around since before both world wars, and in some ways, outdated. It's a choice between tried and true, and new and exciting.

IMO, with today's technology and bullet selection, there are many calibers that can out-perform the '06.

So what kind of guy are you? Slow and steady, or living on the edge?

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1