Turkey Hunting State Land

BuckNY85

I am quite desperate in finding places to hunt in Dutchess county and for all of region 3 for that matter, as is the majority of hunters in the area so it seems. I wanted to get some information on Spring turkey hunting on state land in the area. Does anyone have any experience? Will I have to worry about overcrowding on other hunters like in deer season? Are there many turkey hunters in the area? Any suggestions on which state lands see the least traffic?

I really appreciate any insight given, thanks

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Rick vesely
      I am looking for land for a spring turkey hunt. Coming from Guilderland NY area, near Albany so not looking for too far from there. Any farmers or land owners that want to control the birds in property I can help. Respect the land, the sport, and will leave it as if no one was ever there. 
    • By Long Island NWRC
      Dear Hunters,
      It is time to apply for the 2021 youth turkey hunt weekend at Wertheim National Wildlife (Shirley, NY)! We are thrilled to announce an expanded Refuge Hunt Program offering a new youth turkey hunt spring 2021. Please check the Wertheim National Wildlife Refuge website or use the links below for all hunt plans and application packets.
      Please read all forms carefully. We look forward to a safe and productive hunt season. Applications due February 19, 2021.
      WERTHEIM
      Deer and Turkey Hunt Plan:
      https://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/WRT%20Final%20Hunt%20Plan%20ALL%20DOCS.pdf
      NEW! Wertheim Youth Spring Turkey Hunt
      Youth Turkey Hunt information will be available January 2021 on our website: https://www.fws.gov/refuge/wertheim/.
      Thank you. 
      Wertheim National Wildlife Refuge 340 Smith Road Shirley, NY 11967 teleworking cell phone 631-245-5016   
    • By BuckSteady
      New hunter to NY here. Found some public land to hunt, it’s a WMA. I wish I read the regs more thoroughly because I threw up a ladder stand yesterday and today when I was re-reading them, I saw you can’t put temporary stands on WMAs, only on state forests and other such state land. I honestly didn’t know I wasn’t allowed to, I even put my name and license # on the stand. I was going to go take it down tomorrow but it’s an hour drive so I wanted to ask, what do DEC officers do if they find a ladderstand like mine on a WMA? Is this an automatic fine or whatever? Will they just call me and tell me to come get it? Confiscate? How often do officers go through areas like WMAs and check for stands? Any info would be helpful. I’ll still probably go take it down tomorrow, although I have seen other stands up on the WMA, I just prefer to stay on the right side of the law myself. Thanks!
    • By PublicLandOwner
      Anyone here a memember of a green island or any other rod and gun club in the capitalist district with access to private hunting grounds they can recommend?  it doesn’t have to be a large area..
      I’ve been hunting about 6 seasons now,  and am looking to get more involved in the hunting community. (It’s never been a tradition in my family I had to teach myself a lot the hard way,) more importantly I’d like to teach my son what I’ve learned in the field and save him some mistakes later but I worry about other public land hunters in the area.
      The amounts of bullet holes and shells in areas paint a pretty clear picture about who frequents them. I have land 2.5 hours away in smithville, it doesn’t work for a day trip with my son but we visit about 2 times a year. 
      Any recommendations folks? 
    • By CrossOvertheRiverOutdoors
      Here's a New York turkey hunt that should get your blood flowing! Hope ya'll enjoy my newest episode! If you like what you see, please subscribe to my YouTube Channel! Cross Over the River Outdoors! #ItsHuntingTimeOlBuck #Ozonics #DeadRinger #Tactacam #NewYorkTurkeyHunt #huntingvideo