Why do people have to be such jerks

luberhill

In the past week alone, I've experienced:

1. Some maniac who decided to pass me on the inside, using an on-ramp to the highway. They didn't realize the on-ramp ended, and I couldn't get over due to a semi, so they continued on the side of the road for several hundred yards. No idea how it ended, as I just kept driving.

2. Somebody with a death wish took a right hand turn in front of me from the left hand turn lane, as I was going straight. Good thing I'd had my second cup of coffee.

3. i got hit in a crosswalk by not one but two vehicles. I had a walk sign, and the guy waiting to take a right hand turn into the crosswalk motioned me to go ahead as well. Halfway through the crosswalk, some idiot coming from the other direction takes a left and screeches to a halt a foot from me. As I turned reflexively toward them with my hands up, I get wacked from behind BY THE GUY WHO MOTIONED TO ME. Luckily, he'd only had a couple yards to accelerate and so I was barely knocked over. I got up, shouting "You gotta be kidding me, it's like a war zone out here". I guess he saw the car from the other direction try to take a left in front of him, and decided that he wasn't going to let them, so he hit the gas. People playing stupid games.

That's just recent stuff. I feel like you take your life in your hands driving anymore. My 20 yr old daughter has had her car totaled while standing still at a stoplight by somebody who ran a red behind her, then had her quarter panel torn off by a plow (in her own driveway!), then got rear ended in a traffic circle by somebody entering too fast.

These things cost me money and were a significant PITA. Car prices are stupid now. I'm fed up with the shenanigans. 

I will also add, that since most of my week is spent on the road, i get frustrated with woman drivers more than men driving. It really seems to me that they think they have the right to do anything(The ones who drive like idiots) Or that they can do what they want and you have to adjust your driving to theirs.. idk. not being biased but just putting that out there...   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I like the ones that drive 5-10 under the speed limit and then flip you off or speed up when you go to pass them. People are just dumb. 

It's the ones who do 10 under on 55mph roads in between towns and then proceed to do 45 through villages in a 30mph. It's like 45 is stuck...NEVER a cop there at that time either. 

In large though, it does seem like people are under more stress and pressure than in recent times - obviously doesn't compare to other significant challenges in prior generations but still, times are changing for people. The way we interact with people is changing. 

• Like 2

It varies a lot by region.  Generally speaking, folks in wny seem to be pretty courteous drivers.  I rarely have any problems there, while driving back and forth to work, but I take backroads most of the way.  

Different story up here in the NW part of the Adirondacks.  Rt 3 attracts tailgating dipshits like flies on crap.  Not looking forward to the drive back and forth to town this afternoon, for supplies.  

I noticed downstate was pretty rough also.  I’m glad that our oldest daughter decided to pull the plug on that hell hole, after a semester and a half.   The driving around Rochester, where our youngest goes, is a piece of cake in comparison. 

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Load image into Gallery viewer, I like hunting and maybe 3 people - Hoodie - Rugged Legacy

I have that on right now, every time in public I get stopped by guys either complementing it , asking where they can get one , or IF they’re one of the three . I tell them says “ MAYBE three people.

• Like 1

So I wonder , given this happened to someone not willing to just walk away..

The hotheaded dude in the truck gets out and grabs the guy in the other car, the guy in the other car is armed and tells hothead he’s armed and to back off

Hothead  doesn’t back off and assaults the other guy, other guy shoots him …what happens to the other guy ?

Or hothead is armed and comes out of the truck toward the other guy and other guy shoots hothead …

Im sure things like this have happened before…
I rarely carry unless I’m hunting but I know many do 

51 minutes ago, phade said:

It's the ones who do 10 under on 55mph roads in between towns and then proceed to do 45 through villages in a 30mph. It's like 45 is stuck...NEVER a cop there at that time either. 

Bingo ! It’s 50mph near Victor, then it drops to 30 in town and there’s many who average it to 40 the whole way .

5 minutes ago, luberhill said:

So I wonder , given this happened to someone not willing to just walk away..

The hotheaded dude in the truck gets out and grabs the guy in the other car, the guy in the other car is armed and tells hothead he’s armed and to back off

Hothead  doesn’t back off and assaults the other guy, other guy shoots him …what happens to the other guy ?

Or hothead is armed and comes out of the truck toward the other guy and other guy shoots hothead …

Im sure things like this have happened before…
I rarely carry unless I’m hunting but I know many do 

I'm in the not worth it camp.. do whatever you can do get away from conflict. 

I cary.  But I'm going to do anything and everything possible to get away from the situation. Last thing I want to do is pull my weapon. It's a last resort. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

I will also add, that since most of my week is spent on the road, i get frustrated with woman drivers more than men driving. It really seems to me that they think they have the right to do anything(The ones who drive like idiots) Or that they can do what they want and you have to adjust your driving to theirs.. idk. not being biased but just putting that out there...   

I'm so glad I'm not a truck driver any longer. 

• Like 1

I understand aggressive drive is bad. But I also can’t stand passive aggressive drivers who purposely drive at or below the speed limit to control the actions of others. When they make a left turn they move to the right to prevent others from passing them and then turn painfully slow impeding traffic. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mowin said:

I'm in the not worth it camp.. do whatever you can do get away from conflict. 

I cary.  But I'm going to do anything and everything possible to get away from the situation. Last thing I want to do is pull my weapon. It's a last resort. 

Agree… but not everyone thinks this way… just wondered IF the situation took a turn what would happen to the other guy if hothead assaulted him and other guy pulled and shot him 

Just now, luberhill said:

Agree… but not everyone thinks this way… just wondered IF the situation took a turn what would happen to the other guy if hothead assaulted him and other guy pulled and shot him 

Even in self-defense, it's going to be a shit show in NY. Most likely going to cost a ton of money to defend your actions, and NY will probably do everything they can to prosecute you. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Kinda like this road rage incident (but with no shooting):

https://ifunny.co/video/man-threatens-to-broke-other-guys-kneecaps-gets-knocked-out-X4US7Z5t7

18 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Never let an angry  Stranger  get even within Tackling Range....

Renowned ex Bouncer + Self Defense instructor- Geoff Thompson- undefeated  in over 300 Street Fights during a 9 year stint on the door of some of England's most Notorious Nightclubs has written  articles  on-- ( The 3 Second Fight)...

The first Guy who Hits usually  Wins by Ko. 

Never let anyone get close to measure you before they Throw a Straight Right Hand or Right Hook...

Teaching for Free again. Someone throw me a dime.

I spent years working security and as a bouncer, and a few things I learned over the years.

• Most people start fights due to low self-esteem and/or alcohol.
    • And they both throw sucker punches
  • Real fights are not like they show on TV, two people standing and boxing is a fantasy. 
  • If the fight isn't over quickly it is going to the ground, and it will be messy (again not like we see on UFC)
  • If it is in a crowded space, it usually is not 1 on 1.
  • Most people these days carry and are willing to use a weapon to win a fight.
  • The best way to win a fight is to not engage, stay calm, and walk away.
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

I had a woman take my right of way when she passed a parked car on her side of the street. It was clear she wasn't getting back in her lane before I got there and I didn't slow down much until it was almost too late. She gave me the finger,wow. Some people are clueless and I am afraid their ranks are growing.

I would have let it slide if she almost made it back but she was way off on her timing.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, luberhill said:

So heading out to dinner, get off the thruway and some idiot is right on my butt in 35 mph zone …

So I try to make room with the car ahead of me , the dude behind me pulls up next to me rolls his window down, i ignore him and keep driving.

At the light he pulls over on the shoulder on the right side and again rolls his window down and says “ you got a problem”

I said “ nope” he follows that up with “ good thing or I’ll knock your F’n teeth out”

I said “ don’t threaten me”…he said “ call the cops then tough guy”

Then he said  “ follow me around the corner”

I just kept driving on my way…

I don’t get people having to be such jerks !

Always seems like it’s some low life idiot trying to prove something 

I just reach over and call 911 on the phone Bluetooth in my truck. Having worked for a retired sheriff I’ve heard to many stories about road rage gone wrong.  Nothing better than seeing them pulled over farther down the road. Let the cops deal with it

• Like 1

17 hours ago, luberhill said:

So heading out to dinner, get off the thruway and some idiot is right on my butt in 35 mph zone …

So I try to make room with the car ahead of me , the dude behind me pulls up next to me rolls his window down, i ignore him and keep driving.

At the light he pulls over on the shoulder on the right side and again rolls his window down and says “ you got a problem”

I said “ nope” he follows that up with “ good thing or I’ll knock your F’n teeth out”

I said “ don’t threaten me”…he said “ call the cops then tough guy”

Then he said  “ follow me around the corner”

I just kept driving on my way…

I don’t get people having to be such jerks !

Always seems like it’s some low life idiot trying to prove something 

I just reach over and call 911 on the phone Bluetooth in my truck. Having worked for a retired sheriff I’ve heard to many stories about road rage gone wrong.  Nothing better than seeing them pulled over farther down the road. Let the cops deal with it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nomad said:

I have that on right now, every time in public I get stopped by guys either complementing it , asking where they can get one , or IF they’re one of the three . I tell them says “ MAYBE three people.

its officially my favorite sweatshirt!  And i also tell everyone the "Three" changes as need be. 

Its not just driving - spend 5 minutes on facebook.  My theory is people in general are just more rude these days, less respect for others and actually we are loosing ground on basic intelligence.  I cant wait to retire and trim my list down to 2 and sit on my porch and tell everyone else to get off my lawn. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

I’ve been to idk easily 1000 accidents over nearly 30 years working for the FD, surface streets and parts of two expressways in Roch .

What I always told our kids, “ you have no idea, who that other driver is, career criminal , drunk , pissed at the world , angered over a break up , job loss, just an ahole , or for the really high achievers a combo of a few ,  don’t engage them and always motion like you’re sorry, even when you’re in the right .”

Then I go on , half the drivers are one or more of the following , drunk , high, have no insurance, no license, no money  ,driving stolen cars and so on . I’ve been to accidents where drivers were shooting up heroin , drunk , burying vodka bottles in the snow bank , fled on foot , and ones who switched drivers . Not everyone out there is like you fellas . 

Never ever agree to let them pay instead of going through insurance,I’ve seen people burned on each side of that .

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Its not just driving - spend 5 minutes on facebook.  My theory is people in general are just more rude these days, less respect for others and actually we are loosing ground on basic intelligence.  I catn wait to retire and trim my list down to 2 and sit on my porch and tell everyone else to get off my lawn. 

That's so the Liberals can claim victory on intelligence equity!:rofl: